warpedskydiver

Physics Question

if the object is not completely in the space, but the part of the object in the space occupies the entirety of the space.

i.e. when you put a nail in your wall to hang a picture. the space created by the part of the nail in the wall is completely filled by the nail, but the actual space in the wall occupied is smaller than the nail itself.

Practice until it becomes an art form.
He is a paid professional liar after all.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

> How can an object occupy a space far smaller than the total volume of the object?

In very warped time-space, an object will occupy a space smaller than its total volume. For example, a neutron star has a volume that greatly exceeds the space it occupies. Black holes are the ultimate example of this.

> How can an object occupy a space far smaller than the total volume of the object?

In very warped time-space, an object will occupy a space smaller than its total volume. For example, a neutron star has a volume that greatly exceeds the space it occupies. Black holes are the ultimate example of this.

Bill, Bill, Bill . . .

Certainly you, of all people, should recognise a troll when you see one; especially on this forum.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Not sure the question is stated as intended. An object inside a nuetron star, measuring 1" square, takes up 1" square of space inside the nuetron star.

Maybe what was meant was how an object 1" square when outside a nuetron star can take up less space when moved into the center of the nuetron star?

I'd agree that a given object of perceived fixed size moving fast enough to experience time dilation undergoes a change in volume and mass; but a static object (experiencing no acceleration in any dimension takes up exactly the volume of space that it possesses itself.

I'm open to hearing differently, but would like to know the mechanics involved in a static object taking up less space than it's own volume.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Not sure the question is stated as intended. An object inside a nuetron star, measuring 1" square, takes up 1" square of space inside the nuetron star.

Maybe what was meant was how an object 1" square when outside a nuetron star can take up less space when moved into the center of the nuetron star?

What is the volume of a 1" square object?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

What is the volume of a 1" square object?

1 - assume it's a cylindrical form with a 1" square base

2 - measure the height in inches

3 - multiply the height in inches by 1 square inch - result in cubic inches

4 - result is left as an exercise for the student

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>An object inside a nuetron star, measuring 1" square, takes up 1" square
>of space inside the nuetron star.

No - that's the odd part. A neutron star can have a fixed circumference but an actual radius greater than C/2pi, since space is not flat in the area of such a massive object. (Of course, you can still speak about a radius as if it were C/2pi - but that's a mathematical construct.)

For comparison, imagine measuring the radius and circumference of a circle on a piece of paper. Now measure the circumference of a cone, and measure the radius by measuring from the edge of the cone to the peak. It will be greater than C/2pi.

1 - assume it's a cylindrical form with a 1" square base

What kind of cylinder has a square base?:P

cyl·in·der
–noun 1. Geometry. a surface or solid bounded by two parallel planes and generated by a straight line moving parallel to the given planes and tracing a curve bounded by the planes and lying in a plane perpendicular or oblique to the given planes.

my bad

:P I should have used the word "prism", the above is just plain hard to follow. I won't edit the original, though.

I could make the argument that I 'meant' to say 1 square inch base, instead of 1" square base. But we both know that would be dishonest. :D

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

cyl·in·der
–noun 1. Geometry. a surface or solid bounded by two parallel planes and generated by a straight line moving parallel to the given planes and tracing a curve bounded by the planes and lying in a plane perpendicular or oblique to the given planes.

Alright so it was a bad pun! You didn't have to go and make my brain hurt like that:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

No - that's the odd part. A neutron star can have a fixed circumference but an actual radius greater than C/2pi, since space is not flat in the area of such a massive object. (Of course, you can still speak about a radius as if it were C/2pi - but that's a mathematical construct.)

But, if you were also in the "not flat" space of the massive object doing the measuring, then your measuring instrument would be similarly affected.

Isn't this sorta the same thing as how objects are shortened in the direction of travel if going very fast, but if you're on the object going fast, you can't tell you're shortened (same for the time and mass affects)? Only by observing in a different reference frame can the effects be measured.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I think we need to know exactly how this question was asked - was it part of a physics test, or a riddle, what is the context?

Like the 'airplane on a conveyor belt riddle', the exact wording of the question matters a great deal.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

In very warped time-space...

Thanks. Now I have "Time Warp" stuck in a loop playing in my head. At least it drowns out the voices...
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

How can an object occupy a space far smaller than the total volume of the object?

Can you give an example?

Yeah. Getting my canopy into its D-bag.

Quite right!

I was putting 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag my entire engineering career. No problem.