CameraNewbie

Why do Atheist/Unbelievers always clash heads with Christians?

>Why are you disecting my OP?

Not dissecting it. You asked a question about the atheist/religious argument, then wondered why anyone would argue about the atheist/religious argument. Ask yourself why you asked the question you did and you will have your answer.

Atheists and christians believe different things. That's why they argue. Same reason people argue about the Iraq war, or the Cowboys game, or whether it tastes great or is less filling.

Personally, I like to know what others believe and why - that's why I read and participate in some of the religion threads.

That doesn't make any sense.

It makes sense to me.

I live on a planet with billions of other people, and I like to hear with those people have to say, whether they agree with me or not. I find it interesting to hear opinions that are different from my own - not just about religion, but about everything. If you're not interested, then don't ask and don't listen.

Seriously, you want to start a post about how atheism is better and then hold up your 'values' as the poster child, then understand that those life choices aren't a great example for anybody long term and doesn't reflect well on any atheists that I know.

Where did you even get the notion that I said Atheism was better???:S This post is not about my life choices. Sure, I mentioned it but it's not what this post is about. Since when did you become the spokesperson for all Atheists? How do you even know that this is going to be a long term choice for me? Let's excercise a little common sense here. I'm young, my equipment works, hot women hit on me, they're interested in my money and the car that I drive, they have an understanding straight off the bat that I don't want a relationship/I don't want our little get together to go past that night.

Also, I'm agnostic, but if I was surrounded by 1 million people with such a shallow viewpoint on life and sex, I wouldn't hide behind them by claiming I'm just part of the masses, I'd still stick with my values even if I was the only one.

Who is hiding behind them? I'm giving you a wake up call as to what's happening in the world outside of your little state. You should get out more often and you'll find that I'm not the only one that shares these values.

Take it from me - it impresses no one.

This is exactly why you shouldn't go off the original topic and analyze the poster. I don't any of you from a hole in the wall. Why would I need to impress any of you for? Why would I even care to impress any of you?

Lastly, if you don't think writing "picking up chicks and getting laid every night" isn't objectifying women as sperm recepticles, then I challenge you to tell that to every single woman you attempt to pick up.

If you're trying to analyze me as a psychologist, please don't quit your day job because you're failing as one. [:/] I never even said that women were sperm recepticles. Not once. You keep insinuating that I am saying that. You don't have a single clue as to what is going on. You're living in some kind of world that is inane and unreal. Let me break it down for you Mr. Old fashioned apple pie. I go to bars, lounges and clubs with a couple of my buddies. I have women come up to me and tell me that their friend thinks I'm cute. I buy them a drink. We talk a bit. I let them know that I don't want a relationship with them and that I'm not interested in making this casual. If they agree, I go to their place or they come to my place. I hope you can figure out the rest after that. Therefore, Mr. All Knowing Judgemental Old Fashioned Apple Pie, how or why would you think that I think or even said that women were sperm recepticles?:S[:/]:|

Please stop trying to read into my life. Stick to the original post's topic and try not to veer off from it. This post is not about me. This post is about Why Atheist choose to argue over other religious beliefs, especially christian beliefs, when they don't believe in anything at all.
What do protesters want? Dead cops! When do they want it? Every 2 weeks!

Mmmmm - apple pie

No analysis needed - it's pretty transparent and normal, don't worry about it.

I'd stick to the original post topic, but there's already 27 of them in play.

blues

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Not dissecting it. You asked a question about the atheist/religious argument, then wondered why anyone would argue about the atheist/religious argument. Ask yourself why you asked the question you did and you will have your answer.

Oh Wise and all knowing one, you answered my question with another question.:S

Atheists and christians believe different things. That's why they argue. Same reason people argue about the Iraq war, or the Cowboys game, or whether it tastes great or is less filling.

Seems like I had to pull teeth to get this answer from you. Thank you, that is somewhat what I was trying to get from you instead of you answering my question with another question.:|

However, that still doesn't answer my question. You just stated that because people have different beliefs they'll argue. That's too general and that's what any person with a heartbeat and a brain would do. My question is, if Atheists don't believe in anything, why argue with christians about their beliefs. If someone wants to believe that they were a frog, then so be it. Let them believe that they're a frog. If they're trying to force it down my throat to get me to believe that they're a frog, I'll close my ears and walk around them and go about my way because time is precious in this world. Therefore, I can't waste it trying to find out why they believe they're a frog. I don't get paid to find out why either. Lastly, their being a frog doesn't affect my life so why waste time trying to be inquisitive or debateful about it. I wouldn't want christians to share my views/beliefs as an Atheist. Frankly, I couldn't give a rat's ass what they feel about me or why they believe I'm going to a hell that doesn't exist. We only have one life, live your own life and let people do what they want to do. Just don't get in the way of my goals of getting promoted, making more money, driving better cars and skydiving.

'kay

(Is this what Jeanne feels like all the time? I can see the attraction in the button pushing.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Would you two cut it out!!

:P

>Oh Wise and all knowing one, you answered my question with another question.

Yes I did. Why do you think I did that?

>You just stated that because people have different beliefs they'll
> argue. That's too general and that's what any person with a
> heartbeat and a brain would do.

OK . . .

>My question is, if Atheists don't believe in anything, why argue with
>christians about their beliefs.

?? Who said atheists don't believe in anything? All atheism means is that they don't believe in a supernatural being who is "in charge." They may well have beliefs about the right way to live one's life, or what church is good for (or not good for) or what the meaning of life is. Since many christians intertwine the answers to these questions with their religion, the talk often drifts to that.

>Frankly, I couldn't give a rat's ass what they feel about me or why
> they believe I'm going to a hell that doesn't exist. We only have
> one life, live your own life and let people do what they want to do.

Apparently you give enough of a rat's ass to argue about it here on DZ.com. Other people are like you. That's why you get such arguments.

Seems like I had to pull teeth to get this answer from you. Thank you, that is somewhat what I was trying to get from you instead of you answering my question with another question.:|

However, that still doesn't answer my question. You just stated that because people have different beliefs they'll argue. That's too general and that's what any person with a heartbeat and a brain would do. My question is, if Atheists don't believe in anything, why argue with christians about their beliefs. If someone wants to believe that they were a frog, then so be it. Let them believe that they're a frog. If they're trying to force it down my throat to get me to believe that they're a frog, I'll close my ears and walk around them and go about my way because time is precious in this world. Therefore, I can't waste it trying to find out why they believe they're a frog. I don't get paid to find out why either. Lastly, their being a frog doesn't affect my life so why waste time trying to be inquisitive or debateful about it. I wouldn't want christians to share my views/beliefs as an Atheist. Frankly, I couldn't give a rat's ass what they feel about me or why they believe I'm going to a hell that doesn't exist. We only have one life, live your own life and let people do what they want to do. Just don't get in the way of my goals of getting promoted, making more money, driving better cars and skydiving.

It's about validating one's own belief system. It's about proving (or trying to prove) that your beliefs are better than others.

As far as to why non-religious people seem to bear an unhealthy level on animosity towards religion, especially Christianity, I think it might have to do with their not being that convinced that they are getting right.... kind of like yelling in an effort to make a point. "If I can trip up one of those stupid Christians, I'm right by default".

Another possible explanation for hostility towards Christianity could be about that whole culture of victimology that seems to be on the upswing in this country. Christianity is dominant in our culture... anyone who doesn't subscribe to that faith is being marginalized by proxy... oppression by non-association.

Two of the key components of victimology are:
1) Seeking and finding ways in which you are a "victim".
2) Exercising you right exploit your oppressed status.

Point one was addressed above. Point two goes to topic of this thread.

Hope this helps. That's why I post. ;)

Who said atheists don't believe in anything? All atheism means is that they don't believe in a supernatural being who is "in charge." They may well have beliefs about the right way to live one's life, or what church is good for (or not good for) or what the meaning of life is. Since many christians intertwine the answers to these questions with their religion, the talk often drifts to that.

http://www.atheists.org/Atheism/

Atheism is a doctrine that states that nothing exists but natural phenomena (matter), that thought is a property or function of matter, and that death irreversibly and totally terminates individual organic units. This definition means that there are no forces, phenomena, or entities which exist outside of or apart from physical nature, or which transcend nature, or are “super” natural, nor can there be. Humankind is on its own.

?? Who said atheists don't believe in anything? All atheism means is that they don't believe in a supernatural being who is "in charge." They may well have beliefs about the right way to live one's life, or what church is good for (or not good for) or what the meaning of life is. Since many christians intertwine the answers to these questions with their religion, the talk often drifts to that.

Okay, I misworded it. Atheists don't believe in things that don't exist, such as god, heaven and hell. Churches do exist and christians exist as well. Okay, here's an example, you believe you're a great load organizer, right? Do you go out of your way if someone says Billvon sucks as a load organizer he doesn't know his ass from his elbow. Do you waste your time in finding out why he believes that or do you just continue on and focus on what's important RIGHT NOW which is to organize that load and make a great big way happen?

Apparently you give enough of a rat's ass to argue about it here on DZ.com. Other people are like you. That's why you get such arguments.

Look, I'm all for individualism and what not. However, when I see a majority of Atheists here argue about a god, heaven and hell that doesn't exist it just doesn't make any sense to me. Why argue about a silly book that was written over 2,000 years ago if you don't believe in it? Why argue about a man that probably didn't even exist and called himself a savior if you don't believe in him? Why argue about a heaven and hell that doesn't exist and a god that created it for us Atheist if it doesn't exist? Why argue about a 10 commandments that were written by a god that doesn't exist?

What strong argumentative points does an Atheist have to offer except for the plain and simple fact that HE, IT OR ALL OF THAT DOES NOT EXIST. It's that plain and simple. All those things mentioned do not exist! We can argue day and night about it but what is our main point? THOSE THINGS DO NOT EXIST, that's our main point. Therefore, why argue when we only have one great catch all answer? It doesn't make any sense to me.

NCclimber is likely closer to the point. Modern atheists protest a bit too much.

You might actually have a lot in common in your viewpoint with some of the original atheists - they were much more thoughtful (though much of your commentary is colored by the modern disdain that's so apparent, the basic premise you put forth is simple and clear and belief-based).

The simple position is a belief that there is no god - it has to be taken on faith just as religious types do.

The problem is the opposite camps can't agree to disagree.

here's an interesting article about contemporary atheists, it rings very true http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110009482 (though it's from a fairly conservative site WSJ and the author annoying digresses on a couple non-related right wing trips)

Better discussion pursue on this topic when the opposite camps acknowledge the difference in opinion and, rather, discuss the consequences of the beliefs, not the beliefs themselves. But I lean agnostic, so that's a natural bias.

>Okay, here's an example, you believe you're a great load organizer, right?

?? No. Kate Cooper, Gary Beyer and Roger Ponce are great load organizers. Compared to them I'm at best a decent plane captain.

>Do you go out of your way if someone says Billvon sucks as a load
>organizer he doesn't know his ass from his elbow. Do you waste your
>time in finding out why he believes that . . .

I'd be curious. If the reason was "I hate his fucking guts" then fine; no need to delve further. If it's that "he never works with people who want to do hybrids" that might be useful to know, because I might organize more of them.

>Why argue about a silly book that was written over 2,000 years ago if you don't believe in it?

Same reason christians sometimes discuss the Koran, I suppose.

>Therefore, why argue when we only have one great catch all answer?

You are arguing very strongly that people should not argue about this topic. Ask yourself why you've taken the time to write half a dozen posts - and you will have the answer as to why atheists (and theists) are willing to write half a dozen posts on the subject as well.

What strong argumentative points does an Atheist have to offer except for the plain and simple fact that HE, IT OR ALL OF THAT DOES NOT EXIST.

Is that really a plain and simple fact?

It's that plain and simple. All those things mentioned do not exist! We can argue day and night about it but what is our main point? THOSE THINGS DO NOT EXIST, that's our main point.

Hmm, sounds like you're arguing about it. :P

>Why argue about a silly book that was written over 2,000 years ago if you don't believe in it?

Same reason christians sometimes discuss the Koran, I suppose.

Offering a molehill (discussions on the Koran) in comparison to a mountain (anti-Christian posts) seems kind of silly.

>Therefore, why argue when we only have one great catch all answer?

You are arguing very strongly that people should not argue about this topic. Ask yourself why you've taken the time to write half a dozen posts - and you will have the answer as to why atheists (and theists) are willing to write half a dozen posts on the subject as well.

Seems like he's just trying to figure out why people put so much effort attacking something that should be a non-issue for them.

I think he's made numerous posts in this thread because some posters have consistently danced around his original question, without actually addressing it.

>Offering a molehill (discussions on the Koran) . . .

Given that many christians believe the Koran is a reason behind islamic terrorism, I hardly think that's a molehill. (Unless you think that islamic extremism is a non-issue.)

>Seems like he's just trying to figure out why people put so much
>effort attacking something that should be a non-issue for them.

Same reason he's putting a lot of effort into claiming that it should be a non-issue, I suppose.

>Offering a molehill (discussions on the Koran) . . .

Given that many christians believe the Koran is a reason behind islamic terrorism, I hardly think that's a molehill. (Unless you think that islamic extremism is a non-issue.)

Nice job of missing the point. ;)