quade

What the Hell Happened to Christianity?

What happened to Christians is what happened to "Neocons" is what happened to "bleeding heart liberals" is what happened to "hippies" is what happened to...

As a group, they took themselves too seriously. As a group, they thought their way was THE way and the ONLY right way. This almost always leads to resentment by the masses, who eventually say, "Who the hell are YOU to tell ME?"

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Liked that editorial. Have a problem with the use of the term "Christian" though.

I still love Christians - followers of Christ (though I must admit I'm not one myself.)

They're so humble. They never judge. They don't bother with labels or groups or individual sins. They do so much good behind the scenes - no chance of recognition or accolades for their help and sacrifice. They would deny it if it were offered!

Most of all, they try to help people down on their luck - the outcast, the misfits, the downtrodden.

They hang out with sinners. They're the first to acknowledge their own faults.

They know the Gospels well, and they try to follow their teachings: Above all, they know they are NOT of this world, but for the next. So - why get involved in debate or politics? Answer: they don't. They'd never consider it. Jesus didn't, and he was pretty outspoken about this.

So, they watch the world evolve as Caesar (read: government) does what it does. They sit and watch and wait for heaven/judgement (rather prosaically) and sacrifice and help anyone whenever possible and live good lives, the best they can.

I've been watching world events .... and this forum .... for some time.

I just found out that a dear man I've known for 10 years is deeply Christian - a follower of Jesus. You'd never know it - the most laid-back, coolest dude ever. Never judging, never preaching, always helping and enriching. A strong presence in many lives in the skydiving world. But now I think back to the gospels that I learned as a child, and I think, "OF COURSE!"

I'll bet my last dollar that there are many, many others out there like him. I feel really sorry for them that "Christian" has become a dirty word for some (and almost for me, although I'm sticking with "religious right" for now.)

I'm sure we'll never hear from him :).

He, and others like him, will just continue to live like Jesus told them to, and they'll keep on doing their good stuff .... behind the scenes.

I love that my friend will continue to rejoice when he sees me doing good, and will never, ever tell me that I'm going to hell when I die :P.

Actually a TRUE Christian... one who follows the word of Christ is humble, doesn't judge. The problem is that there are so many 'Christians' that have warped the original teachings and give the rest of them a bad name. The predominance of 'Christians' is why I completely left organized religion.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Christians ..... They're so humble. They never judge.

Really? In whose world?

Believers do not have to "judge" unbelievers.

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
John 3:18

What happened to Christians is what happened to "Neocons" is what happened to "bleeding heart liberals" is what happened to "hippies" is what happened to...

As a group, they took themselves too seriously. As a group, they thought their way was THE way and the ONLY right way. This almost always leads to resentment by the masses, who eventually say, "Who the hell are YOU to tell ME?"

I'll take a different 2nd paragraph (I don't think "they" took themselves too seriously, only a handle of them did and they started getting into politics. The rest, and most, are just as decent as always) - as a group, they are still out there, but we don't see that anymore. The term used for them has been coopted by one political party in an attempt to garner membership, while the opposite political party has taken efforts to demonize the term in order counter that effort. Therefore the term doesn't apply to the real christians anymore, it only applies to stereotypes based on the most extreme types that don't really get it.

it's very analogous to the term "liberal" which was also twisted into an us vs them thing instead of just defining the more open minded across the entire political spectrum

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Actually a TRUE Christian... one who follows the word of Christ is humble, doesn't judge. The problem is that there are so many 'Christians' that have warped the original teachings and give the rest of them a bad name. The predominance of 'Christians' is why I completely left organized religion.

It wouldn't matter if every Christian was a total doormat, we'd still hear the same BS from unbelievers.

It wouldn't matter if every Christian was a total doormat, we'd still hear the same BS from unbelievers.

Do you really think so?

I'm almost certain I've never berated anybody for their religion if that person left me alone.

I mean, think about it. How many religions are there in this world? If the people practicing those religions keep to themselves and don't bother anybody, do you really have a compelling reason to give them crap?

Seriously, I don't give a crap if the guy next door is a full on Satan worshiper if he keeps it to himself.

Why should you?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>It wouldn't matter if every Christian was a total doormat, we'd
>still hear the same BS from unbelievers.

Oh, I think that if buddhists were as aggressive as some christians, you'd hear everyone complaining about them, too. But since they tend to not evangelize, people don't get as riled at them.

I'm a christian, and I get annoyed at some of the more fervent christians telling people that this guy and that woman are going to hell. Certainly not all christians do that, but a very vocal minority do.

Oh, I think that if buddhists were as aggressive as some christians, you'd hear everyone complaining about them, too. But since they tend to not evangelize, people don't get as riled at them.

I'm a christian, and I get annoyed at some of the more fervent christians telling people that this guy and that woman are going to hell. Certainly not all christians do that, but a very vocal minority do.

It's not the people that ticks off the unbelievers, it's the message.

Telling someone that they will never be good enough on their own to make the grade just doesn't set well with most people.

Christianity is the only religion that make this claim.

That is a really beautiful editorial. I think I'd like Christianity a lot better if more Christians shared Jay Bakker's attitude

Me too, I think the bible has some very good morals,

i liked the part that read,

The Apostle Paul describes this idea of love beautifully in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7: "Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance."

that statement could be tweaked by the likes of GWB for self gain. But if interpreted as it is actually written, is a wonderful statement that should be adopted by christians and non christians alike and the world would be a much better place to be.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

It's not the people that ticks off the unbelievers, it's the message.

Telling someone that they will never be good enough on their own to make the grade just doesn't set well with most people.

Christianity is the only religion that make this claim.

Controlling behavior of the "my way or the highway" variety is certainly falling out of favor as people become better educated.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Controlling behavior of the "my way or the highway" variety is certainly falling out of favor as people become better educated.

This country has been subjected to that for years.. The Religeous Wrong wants everyone to live by THEIR brand of Morality. If they could they would legislate it even more than they have.

So we are back to separation of church and state... I do not want morality legislated...

The Bible is fairly clear about FREE WILL and choosing ones own path.... not having that path chosen by the little old man down the block who couldnt get laid when he was young let alone now.

The old JUDGE not lest ye be judged comes to mind.

> Telling someone that they will never be good enough on their own
>to make the grade just doesn't set well with most people. Christianity
>is the only religion that make this claim

I'd recommend reading up on a few other religions. There are quite a few that claim you will go to hell (or get reincarnated, which is 'hell' for many Hindus) without divine intervention.

But in any case, people don't get mad when they learn about new religions. They get mad that they are told over and over that THEY don't measure up to other people's expectations. If Hindus were constantly carping about the "war on Vishnu," held protests in front of stores that celebrate christmas instead of Vijayadashami, and constantly were coming to your door trying to "save" you from your silly belief in a scary pointy-horned pitchfork-wielding devil - you'd get annoyed at them, too.