akarunway

An embarrasment for the U.S. Navy

how do you think the aircraft just happend to spot it while it was surfaced.

I wonder why it surfaced at all.

It's diesel-electric. They can't stay submerged indefinitely.

Do youfind it odd it surfaced so close to the Kitty Hawk Group? I would think the Capitan of the Chinese Sub would have planned to be farther away unless he wanted the U.S. to know he was shadowing them.

Wasn't there something a few years back about Slick Willie selling the Chinese the machines and the technology to MAKE their subs quieter?:S

The Chinese appear to have three types of diesel-electric boat in service, with the best being Russian Kilo-class subs. So, unlikely that you've anyone to blame but those pesky Ruskies.

Quoted from the article:
"...surfaced within firing range of its torpedoes and missiles before being detected..."
and then:
"...surfaced within five miles of the carrier..."

So, how close was it really?
The effective range of a good torpedo is only about 2000 yards (1.1 miles), but the effective range of the C-801 / C-802 submerged-launch anti-ship cruise missile is well over 50 miles. 5 miles therefore seems to be a moot distance for a possible attack, too far for torpedoes and much closer than it needs to be for a missile.

>It wasn't to protect RADAR. It was to protect a human source of information.

Ah, but that's exactly what JR WANTS you to think.

LOL:)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

It's diesel-electric. They can't stay submerged indefinitely.

Depends on whether or not it's fitted with a snorkel. They can run the diesels to recharge the batterires and ventilate the boat while snorkeling.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Quoted from the article:
"...surfaced within firing range of its torpedoes and missiles before being detected..."
and then:
"...surfaced within five miles of the carrier..."

So, how close was it really?
The effective range of a good torpedo is only about 2000 yards (1.1 miles), but the effective range of the C-801 / C-802 submerged-launch anti-ship cruise missile is well over 50 miles. 5 miles therefore seems to be a moot distance for a possible attack, too far for torpedoes and much closer than it needs to be for a missile.

I'm pretty sure that there hasn't been a torpedo with a range less than 5 miles since the end of WWII, but i could be mistaken.

A few of the Chinese torpedos:
The 53-63K wake homing torpedo has a max range of 18km.
The YU-1 antiship torpedo has a 9km range.
Test-71 antiship torpedo has a range up to 20km.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Wasn't there something a few years back about Slick Willie selling the Chinese the machines and the technology to MAKE their subs quieter?:S

Gee, guess it worked! :|

I suspect you are thinking of the Toshiba case. It was the Japanese that sold the technology.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

-

"Gotcha!", maybe. But tipping one's hand like that would be bad form for a sub skipper, IMO. Better to egress the area and make a report back to Operations once safely in the clear. Their target will be more wary from now on.

The other side of that could be to force the surface target group to expend more resources like fuel, sonobuoys, flight hours, etc. to deal with the challenge, but I wouldn't do make them do that unless it was for a very good reason; e.g., a feint of some kind to draw the surface group's attention away from something else.

If the surface group was inside of territiorial waters, the skipper may have had orders to give the surface group a surprise party. If that's the case, the mission was accomplished.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

-

"Gotcha!", maybe. But tipping one's hand like that would be bad form for a sub skipper, IMO. Better to egress the area and make a report back to Operations once safely in the clear. Their target will be more wary from now on.

The other side of that could be to force the surface target group to expend more resources like fuel, sonobuoys, flight hours, etc. to deal with the challenge, but I wouldn't do make them do that unless it was for a very good reason; e.g., a feint of some kind to draw the surface group's attention away from something else.

If the surface group was inside of territiorial waters, the skipper may have had orders to give the surface group a surprise party. If that's the case, the mission was accomplished.

mh

A little more from todays news>http://www.washtimes.com/national/20061114-123345-3750r.htm
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

-

mh

The motive may simply be inscrutible. Whatever, it is still an embarrassment for the US Navy.

I suspect you are thinking of the Toshiba case. It was the Japanese that sold the technology.

http://www.newsmax.com/articles/?a=1999/3/9/164928

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/05/23/clinton.china/

http://www.fas.org/news/china/1998/h980618-prc11.htm

In addition to the supercomputers, satellite technology, fighter jet technology, and missile technology....

...we also sold them several 5 axis CNC milling machines, on it's face maybe not so bad...except that the type, variety and size of said milling machines is used in the U.S. for mainly one thing....machining precise
angles on nuclear sub screws....makes 'em quiet.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

In addition to the supercomputers, satellite technology, fighter jet technology, and missile technology....

...we also sold them several 5 axis CNC milling machines, on it's face maybe not so bad...except that the type, variety and size of said milling machines is used in the U.S. for mainly one thing....machining precise

No way!!! The "most ethical administration in history" would *NEVER* have done anything like that!!!! >:(
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I thought you said "MAKE their subs quieter", but your links have to do with satellites and fighter jets. BTW, Newsmax is a joke.

Here's quiet sub stuff, which happened on Reagan's watch.
:
www.heritage.org/Research/TradeandForeignAid/EM170.cfm
www.japanlaw.info/lawletter/april87/fdf.htm

US supplied technology to Japan, Japan sold it to Russia, Russia supplied it to China.

I thought you said "MAKE their subs quieter", but your links have to do with satellites and fighter jets. BTW, Newsmax is a joke.

Here's quiet sub stuff, which happened on Reagan's watch.
:
www.heritage.org/Research/TradeandForeignAid/EM170.cfm
www.japanlaw.info/lawletter/april87/fdf.htm

US supplied technology to Japan, Japan sold it to Russia, Russia supplied it to China.

No where in your cited source does it say that the US sold the technology, that Toshiba sold to Russia, to Japan.

I remember this news back in the day, a lot of Japanese companies couldn't do business with the US for a number of years.

It is slightly different from, and not nearly as damagin as what the Chinese stole from the US during the 90s.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

yea instead slick willie sold them the missle tech. so they could actually hit what their aiming at
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

>yea instead slick willie sold them the missle tech . . .

At least he got some money for it! We recently gave away the plans (in Arabic) for implosion-based nuclear weapons.

But at least we still have control of the Panama Canal!

Oh...wait....:o

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>yea instead slick willie sold them the missle tech . . .

At least he got some money for it! We recently gave away the plans (in Arabic) for implosion-based nuclear weapons.

And the codes for the Trident missiles were recently found in a drug den in Los Alamos.