GQ_jumper

Police chief fired for urging officers to stay in shape

I'm sitting in the office with the news playing and they are telling a story about a Police Chief who was fired for sending out a memo to all the Officers under him urging them to get in shape so they can better serve as an officer. He said that he decided to do this after looking around the office and seeing himself surrounded by overweight Police Officers.

I forgot that in this feel good world you aren't allowed to tell someone that they aren't in good enough physical shape to do their job, instead you have to tell them how wonderful they are and that they are beatiful on the inside. This is bullsh*t[:/]
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

If you can't provide a service for your public or even general fitness to perform duties or protect yourself, your of no use to anyone in my opinion.

They should make people retake the fitness they took when they joined at least yearly.

So off goes a guy with amazing experience and ability as a senior member of the police management team because he said something which is really correct. Pisses me off >:( they should start sacking the fat ones who fail to catch offenders regularly in foot pursuits

I read the article too and know someone who's in that area. There's more to the story than they say. The thing the police department has a contract with Dunkin' Donuts saying they'll Dunkin Donuts will provide them with so many donuts if the police provide a security guard at night.

The government doesn't want the donuts to go t owaste. They would donate it to the poor, but are concerned about getting sued becuse donuts aren't exactly healthy.

The officer in question was told that once the supply of donuts is completed, he can urge the employees to get in shape, but no yet. As shown, he insubordinated, and is therefore fired.
This ad space for sale.

I think the issue was him calling them "jellybellies." From what I can tell, no one had a problem with the content of the memo.

Political correctness turns men into wimps
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

I think the issue was him calling them "jellybellies." From what I can tell, no one had a problem with the content of the memo.

Political correctness turns men into wimps

Jellybellies is very PC. The non-pc version is:
Worthless fucking lardassed disgrace to the goddamn uniform who couldn't run down a malnourished crackhead trying to run away with a fucking safe.

I'm pretty sure you are right on that Bill, but regardless of the wording it is still bullsh*t IMO, if they can't maintain a professional appearance than why should they be treated in a professional manner. This touchy feely feel good shit has gone too far, crap like this is why my P.O.S. fat@ss roommate is still in Special Forces and not flipping burgers where he belongs, it pisses me off that we can't "call it like we see it" without getting in trouble.

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

How long will it be until Charles Weis is sued, or fired for being tough on his players?:|
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I'm pretty sure you are right on that Bill, but regardless of the wording it is still bullsh*t IMO, if they can't maintain a professional appearance than why should they be treated in a professional manner.

Why would they maintain a professional appearance if they can't be treated in a professional manner?

I'm pretty sure you are right on that Bill, but regardless of the wording it is still bullsh*t IMO, if they can't maintain a professional appearance than why should they be treated in a professional manner.

Why would they maintain a professional appearance if they can't be treated in a professional manner?

they WEREN'T maintaining a professional appearance... thats what caused the unprofessional comments. those police officers were wimps

MB 3528, RB 1182

Because those who maintain a professional appearance are treated as such. When you are in a job where your physical ability and appearance have such a large affect on your ability to do your job, not only that but affects how the public views not only just you but your colleagues as well then it is very understandable why someone wouldn't be treated professionally if they don't maintain the standard. In my unit people who can't pass a fitness test or height and weight standards are dealt with accordingly, they are either put out of Special Forces or the Army completely, and when they are being put out do you think they are treated with the same respect as the operators who take the extra time to go to the gym every day, absolutely not. I wouldnt' want to serve next to someone who is too fat and out of shape to carry my ass out of a fight if I go down.

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I could not agree with you more. It is all part of the equation that most feel good people leave out of it, or impose those values where is certainly a liability to do so.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

they WEREN'T maintaining a professional appearance... thats what caused the unprofessional comments. those police officers were wimps

I have a hard time believing that a senior police officer would have always maintained a professional manner in his dealings with junior officers, then one day looks around, sees fat cops and decides not be professional anymore.

I agree that there should be a fitness standard for cops in the field, I doubt this was the first time this senior officer was unprofessional in his communication though.

As usual, there is probably much more to this story.

I have a hard time believing that a senior police officer would have always maintained a professional manner in his dealings with junior officers, then one day looks around, sees fat cops and decides not be professional anymore.

I agree that there should be a fitness standard for cops in the field, I doubt this was the first time this senior officer was unprofessional in his communication though.

As usual, there is probably much more to this story.

I think Skydekker is on to something. A good Chief should never have let it get to the point where knee jerks about a problem that is progressive and easily observable. Professional or not, he also let poor fitness become a problem instead of being on the ball and ensuring it never got to that point in the first place.

Fix it before it becomes an issue.

And then issue an E-MAIL? What about personal discussions? What about announcing and adopting a fitness requirement and giving time to achieve that requirement?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think Skydekker is on to something. A good Chief should never have let it get to the point where knee jerks about a problem that is progressive and easily observable. Professional or not, he also let poor fitness become a problem instead of being on the ball and ensuring it never got to that point in the first place.

Fix it before it becomes an issue.

And then issue an E-MAIL? What about personal discussions? What about announcing and adopting a fitness requirement and giving time to achieve that requirement?

Thanks, you raise some more valuable points, all very true.