Richards

Art or animal abuse?

I'm more interested in the point of painting this elephant in the first place. According to that article, the artist was trying to make a point about 'the elephant in the room' syndrome i.e. the problem that everyone knows about but never address. Surely then putting an elephant in a room eau naturale would make the point just as well as tarting it up with an elaborate paintjob?

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A city agency that allowed a shit to be displayedto appear at an art exhibit is now saying it will not issue permits for such events in the future.

The shit, named Little Walt's Apple, was given center stage for the Thursday opening of the "Downin' the Dumps," exhibit by American artist Appel near downtown.

Cards handed out at the opening, which included such guests as Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, read: "There's something smelly in the room. There's a problem we choose to ignore." The statement went on to say that many people live below the poverty line.

Ed Boks, head of the city's Animal Services Department, said that his agency issued permits for the shit art -- to his chagrin -- and that he tried to have them revoked Friday on public safety grounds. But the exhibit was to end Sunday, and the revocation would have taken five days. (Watch why people are upset about the shit art -- 1:36)

"I think it sends a very wrong message that taking dumps is not only OK, it's an art form," Boks said. "We find it no longer acceptable to throw vomit at concerts, but it's OK to shit in a bathtub."

Civil rights activist Anil Colon, a former artist himself, said the exhibit "degrades" the meaning of "shit." "The beauty of shit is that shit happens. To utilize shit in this way strikes of sheer pretense.It's a mockery. There's no reason. This isn't a religious ceremony."

Come Monday, the shit will be transported to Popeye Farms, a local spinach grower..."

Waltdenied that the 9 inch log, who lives in a bathtub, had been abused.

"Appel has done many, many movements and websites. It's used to exposure."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The losers who bitch about degrading animals like this need to get a life and a real job, and stop thinking they know how an elephant feels. What, did the elephant say, "You know, sir, I feel degraded having to wear this paint. It puts me under stress, and I think I am losing my mind. Can you refer me to a therapist who can help me cope with my plight?"

I really felt that it might cause severe discomfort having all of his skin covered in paint. Also how will they remove it...turpentine? If you read most of my posts I am not a bleeding heart by any stretch but it does seem a bit abusive. While we may very well have "dominion over the animals" I think we can at least be sure not put undue stress on them.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

The losers who bitch about degrading animals like this need to get a life and a real job, and stop thinking they know how an elephant feels. What, did the elephant say, "You know, sir, I feel degraded having to wear this paint. It puts me under stress, and I think I am losing my mind. Can you refer me to a therapist who can help me cope with my plight?"

I really felt that it might cause severe discomfort having all of his skin covered in paint. Also how will they remove it...turpentine? If you read most of my posts I am not a bleeding heart by any stretch but it does seem a bit abusive. While we may very well have "dominion over the animals" I think we can at least be sure not put undue stress on them.

Richards

Do you know that for a fact, or are you guessing. The folks who get body-paint jobs seem to enjoy it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think it's kinda silly, but I don't see how it harms the animal. If elephants humiliate so easily, then we obviously have a lot of other issues where they're concerned that impact them more harshly than the paint job.

I am not woriied about humiliation as I doubt animals are prone to that. having had paint on my skin when painting I found that it could be uncomfortable. Imagine if you will, being covered over your entire body by paint or some other petroleum type product and walking around feeling it crack and dry, and stick.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

If the elephant didn't like it she would have trampled the artist.

I doubt that. Trained animals are abused from infancy to be afraid of humans. Most are not aware that they have the physical capacity to destroy us.

Richards

What about spanking monkeys?:o

Well...er...uhm ...ahem...I have done that from time to time so my apoligies to all those monkeys.

Richards

The folks who get body-paint jobs seem to enjoy it.

Some folks like being tied to a bed while a dominatrix whips them. Can we safely asume that animals would not mind that?

Richards

Some folks like being tied to a bed while a dominatrix whips them. Can we safely asume that animals would not mind that?

Richards

You ASSume that the paint is a petroleum product. Maybe it's water based and hoses off. Elephants like being hosed down.

Tai's owner denied that the 38-year-old Indian elephant, who lives on a ranch, had been abused.

"Tai has done many, many movies," Kari Johnson said. "She's used to makeup."

They also describe it as a "non-toxic" paint. That would mean it's probably not petroleum based, & can be washed off with water.

And from the above quote, they've done this before, so I'm sure they've worked out how to paint the elephant without hurting her or using harmful chemicals. It can't be that difficult.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

You ASSume

oh-oh. Were back to that again. Seems we already discussed this matter. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2435610;#2435610.

Should I call you Dr. and make you feel better or will Professor suffice?

Richards

I personally think it is an unnecessary exploitation of an animal. I wouldn't call it abuse, I doubt he/she is in any discomfort and I'm unsure if there are emotions similar to humiliation, so I'm not going to comment on that.
However, elephants are capable of feeling something akin to grief as it was observed many times in the wild. When a herd encounters elephant remains each member strokes the bones with their trunks, guard them for hours and often cover them with branches.
Maybe humiliation is not so far fetched, after all.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Richards

You ASSume that the paint is a petroleum product. Maybe it's water based and hoses off. Elephants like being hosed down.

I'm sure it was a water based paint. if it was oil based then it could/would be toxic and animal abuse. prolly does like the hose job. might even be edible paint kinda like those edible panties:)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I think it's kinda silly, but I don't see how it harms the animal. If elephants humiliate so easily, then we obviously have a lot of other issues where they're concerned that impact them more harshly than the paint job.

I am not woriied about humiliation as I doubt animals are prone to that. having had paint on my skin when painting I found that it could be uncomfortable. Imagine if you will, being covered over your entire body by paint or some other petroleum type product and walking around feeling it crack and dry, and stick.

Richards

kinda like Halloween? :)

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

You ASSume

oh-oh. Were back to that again. Seems we already discussed this matter. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2435610;#2435610.

Should I call you Dr. and make you feel better or will Professor suffice?

Richards

Don't make unwarranted assumptions and it will stop and you can feel better.

If you like I'll show you how to make a clicky.:)

Apparently this is art.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/17/painted.elephant.ap/index.html

I think I have to go with the animal activists on this one. Should this sort of thing be allowed?

Richards

What is the difference between that and this?

http://www.brianzajac.com/personal/fantasy_fests/body_painting_contest_04/index.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Well for starters she is much easier on the eyes. That said she did so of her own free will. The elephant did not have a say in the matter. Don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting by any means that this is blatant cruelty. I just feel that it may be inflicting unneccessary discomfort. I am fine with the fact that humans have the right to use animals for survival purposes (food, clothing ...etc) but should we not show some constraint when dealing with animals. It is possible that the elephant enjoys being covered in paint but I doubt it.

Richards