billvon

Should criminals be sold better guns?

>What we need to do is construct an arena out of plate steel
>and concrete where each rival gang can play a game of paintball and
>settle their differences -- only without the paint.

We could sell tickets! People could go into the arena and watch them kill each other. We'd give them each a handgun so they wouldn't get hurt, of course.

lets just enforce the gun laws that are already on the books, shall we?

There are TOO MANY gun laws currently on the books, and they are contradictory from state to state and city to city.

We need a few, uniform gun laws that make sense, protect the rights of sane law abiding adults, can't be circumvented by crossing a state line or city boundary, and that severely punish those that abuse them.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>What we need to do is construct an arena out of plate steel
>and concrete where each rival gang can play a game of paintball and
>settle their differences -- only without the paint.

We could sell tickets! People could go into the arena and watch them kill each other. We'd give them each a handgun so they wouldn't get hurt, of course.

No, do it by closed circuit televsion, like The Running Man. Richard Dawson could host.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

The shotgun is typically more lethal, yet it also is less likely to kill someone well behind the intended target. Were these sort of people pushed to use 12gauges, we would be better off.

I like that idea. If these animals only exterminated each other without actually killing human beings, who would actually worry that much about gang violence? It would become a self regulating problem by keeping their population down with little or no risk to people.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

in reply to "If these animals only exterminated each other without actually killing human beings, who would actually worry that much about gang violence? It would become a self regulating problem by keeping their population down with little or no risk to people. "

:D
If that all works in your hometown then yo'all can try sellin' it round the world.;)
I just luv seeing genocidal capitalism in its infancy
:D

If that all works in your hometown then yo'all can try sellin' it round the world.

I just luv seeing genocidal capitalism in its infancy

I do not see how what I suggested implies genocide. Is this defnition wrong?...

"any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group, as such: Killing members of the group; Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; and forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."

I am also curious about the implied link between capitalism and genocide. I have seen examples of non capitalistic societies committing genocide so can you explain the link between the two?

Curious.

Richards

PS...

yo'all

?
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

There are TOO MANY gun laws currently on the books, and they are contradictory from state to state and city to city.

We need a few, uniform gun laws that make sense, protect the rights of sane law abiding adults, can't be circumvented by crossing a state line or city boundary, and that severely punish those that abuse them.

That actually makes a helluva lota sense, john. I just don't want to see what your idea of "a few, uniform gun laws that make sense" are. I'm afraid they would be too restrictive from what the second amendment intended.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

That actually makes a helluva lota sense, john. I just don't want to see what your idea of "a few, uniform gun laws that make sense" are. I'm afraid they would be too restrictive from what the second amendment intended.

Why would you think that? My opposition to government interference in all areas of life has been well established, hasn't it? Can you find any posts I've made advocating more government?

Why would you think that? My opposition to government interference in all areas of life has been well established, hasn't it? Can you find any posts I've made advocating more government?

You are consistantly on the "anti-gun" side of gun arguments.

edit... but in principle John, I whole-heartedly agree with you! Few, consistantly applied laws which support law-abiding citizens to defend themselves with VERY minimal government interference.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

You are consistantly on the "anti-gun" side of gun arguments.

edit... but in principle John, I whole-heartedly agree with you! Few, consistantly applied laws which support law-abiding citizens to defend themselves with VERY minimal government interference.

You and John Rich make the same error of interpretation.

I absolutely do not believe the "more guns less crime" argument, nor do I believe that owning and carrying a gun would make me and my family safer by one iota.

Equally, I do not believe that law abiding sane adults who wish to own a gun (or anything else, for that matter) should be prevented from doing so by the government.

Those two beliefs are not contradictory.

You and John Rich make the same error of interpretation.

I absolutely do not believe the "more guns less crime" argument, nor do I believe that owning and carrying a gun would make me and my family safer by one iota.

Equally, I do not believe that law abiding sane adults who wish to own a gun (or anything else, for that matter) should be prevented from doing so by the government.

Those two beliefs are not contradictory.

No, they aren't necessarily contradictory. Unfortunately John, we live in a world of generalizations. When a lot of what you say SOUNDS like the anti-gun, gun-banning liberal crowd, you tend to get labelled w/ that label.

And the fault lies squarely w/ me for applying that label to you.

However, I have to say from personal experience that possessing guns HAS made me and my family safer. I've posted about one incident before, so I won't bore you w/ the details a second time. As far as the "more guns, less crime" hypothesis, thanks to your information, I'm re-evaluating that. But the idea certainly makes sense to me. I mean, If law abinding citizens are armed and willing to defend themselves and others against armed thugs, wouldn't it follow that armed thugs would reconsider their actions?

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

The federal government has no constitutional authority to regulate guns. Yeah, I know, they do it to some degree anyway, using the ruse of "interstate commerce" to justify it. But the for the most part, gun laws are a function of state government. And I like it that way. To change things to the federal level would require a federal power grab necessitating a constitutional amendment, and that is very unlikely to happen. No state is going to want to give up its authority over gun laws, to comply with what someone else dictates to them. Texas shouldn't have to put with Illinois gun laws, or vice versa. Let each state's citizens decide for themselves.

That does produce inconsistency from state to state, but that provides citizens with the freedom to choose a state in which to live that best represents their personal beliefs.

However, within states, the gun laws should be uniform, and most states have "preemption" laws to accomplish that. Cities, counties, etc. are not allowed to pass laws which are more restrictive than the state laws. That makes sense too, because such a patchwork quilt of varying gun laws makes it too haphazard for ordinary citizens to conduct their daily lives without becoming criminals.

I mean, If law abinding citizens are armed and willing to defend themselves and others against armed thugs, wouldn't it follow that armed thugs would reconsider their actions?

Certainly, although they may not reconsider their actions as you may have liked.
Some of them may decide to take an honest job, and some of them may decide to shoot you before they rob you so you can not shoot back. On an average you would have less crime but deadlier and i am not sure that is what i would like if i get the short stick.

I am quite happy with a society that has few guns but allow you to insure your belongings so when you get robbed it is just a small dent in the ego.

The federal government has no constitutional authority to regulate ...

That applies to an awful lot of things that are regulated by the feds.

Indeed it does, and I think we would both agree that they shouldn't be sticking their nose into business that isn't theirs.

Some of them may decide to take an honest job, and some of them may decide to shoot you before they rob you so you can not shoot back. On an average you would have less crime but deadlier...

Incorrect assumption, as proven out by FBI crime statistics.

I am quite happy with a society that has few guns but allow you to insure your belongings so when you get robbed it is just a small dent in the ego.

Another incorrect assumption. If only we were so lucky as to be assured that the robber was only interested in our property, and not our life.

Example to the Contrary

>We need a few, uniform gun laws that make sense, protect the rights
> of sane law abiding adults, can't be circumvented by crossing a state
> line or city boundary, and that severely punish those that abuse them.

Yep. Sadly, I think many gun nuts would portray this as "the government taking away your guns." We do need simpler, more consistent laws, even if it means a change.

Incorrect assumption, as proven out by FBI crime statistics.

Ohh, and i can google up some statistics that proves how the U.S has a huge rate of assaults and roberies that end up with the victim dead. But that is the nature of internet, we can prove whatever point we want to make getting the statistics that better prove our points.
I think you are incorrectly assuming that your statistics are somehow better than mines.

Another incorrect assumption. If only we were so lucky as to be assured that the robber was only interested in our property, and not our life.

Well John, you got me there. I was just thinking that most normal people don´t upset the rest so much that they want to kill him. I truly don´t know if it is paranoia what you have, or really you have upset people so much that someone wants you dead. I don´t want to add paranoia, but i will tell you something. If someone wants to kill you, you are as good as dead, no even your will save you. See John, someone crazy enough to want to kill another person and face the consequences doesn´t have to play fair, thay can shoot you from behind when you are not aware, or do a drive by like the gangs, etc, etc.

Believe me, insure your property, be reasonably nice to people and you will be okay.

Funny thing is that the gunless victim in your example, survived.
A gun is not that useful for the victim, because the attacker will always have the initiative, and if the atacker has already drawn the gun or the knife it is much safer to comply than to resist. Possible exception is if you see it coming (but you can avoid it then more often than not by fleeing) and rapes. However considering that a very high proportion of rapes happen while the woman is intoxicated, incapacitated or done by a person known to the victim, i see chances that the victim´s gun can be used against the own victim.

I will concede that the person who can better use a gun in a crime is someone who is not the victim but happens to be armed and near. However, that brings other issues like people not trained/current trying to help and making things worse, or just plain gun nuts who want his 15 minutes of glory.

I am willing to admit that a gun can be useful sometimes, but to me, the disadvantages of an armed society far outweight the benefits. You seem to think that the gun is the solution to any problem society faces.

And your insurance rates, and mine, and our neighbor, and the guy in the next town, and . . . . See where that one goes?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.