Hayfield

Hillary Clinton vs. Jeb Bush 2008

I'd like to see the next POTUS not be a Clinton, Bush, Kennedy, Cheney, etc. How about a new last name for a change?

Rice is a new last name.

Seeing all the "Aunt Jemima" and "house n_____" comments when she was appointed to the Cabinet in the first place, I don't see this EVER happening.

A shame, really, because I think she could make a very good President, if given a fair chance.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

A shame, really, because I think she could make a very good President, if given a fair chance.

I agree. Too bad we'll never find out if she could've won.

Are you serious? She's a Bush clone; are you going to tell me 4 or 8 more years of Bush is a good thing?

I'd like to see Badnarik run again. I don't think I could bring myself to vote for Hillary or Jeb. Actually, I know I couldn't.

Libertarians are generally disgruntled Repubs. They are supposed to stand for small government and maintain individual rights. I think we need more taxes that go to social reform, welfare, education, medical aid, etc.... We are so far behind the world and a Libertarian would try to all but eliminate social programs.

To me, Libertarians live in this fantasy world where the church is going to wave a majic wand and heal everyone. I have yet to see real answers to social issues from the Libertarians, but I am not an expert on them.

The problem with allowing the government to fund social programs and medicine is that the government tends to do things poorly and inefficiently. Libertarians advocate a dollar for dollar tax credit for donations to certain classes of charitable organizations, because the charities are already in the community, are aware of local needs, and don't have the huge amount of red tape that the government does.

Honestly, I don't think it's the job of the government to provide social programs or medical care. That's our own responsibility. The government exists to protect our lives, liberty and property from criminals and outside forces. I don't have a problem with the government making it easier for private organizations to provide certain services, but whenever the government tries to do more than that, it usually messes up royally and wastes huge amounts of money on things that don't work. We've had a welfare system in place for decades now, and it doesn't work. Throwing more money at a system that doesn't work isn't going to make it work. It's just going to waste more money that could be spent actually helping people.

I find it interesting how you make a sweeping generalization about libertarians (that we're disgruntled republicans), and then go on to say that you're not an expert on libertarians. I've never, ever been a republican. I was a registered democrat for the majority of time I've been able to vote. Democrats often claim that libertarians don't care about the poor, and that's not the case at all. Libertarians aren't heartless and saying that the government shouldn't help people, just that the government shouldn't do it directly, because it doesn't do a very good job and there are other organizations in a much better position to actually accomplish something. Read the libertarian platform. You might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

I'd like to see Badnarik run again. I don't think I could bring myself to vote for Hillary or Jeb. Actually, I know I couldn't.

Libertarians are generally disgruntled Repubs. They are supposed to stand for small government and maintain individual rights. I think we need more taxes that go to social reform, welfare, education, medical aid, etc.... We are so far behind the world and a Libertarian would try to all but eliminate social programs.

To me, Libertarians live in this fantasy world where the church is going to wave a majic wand and heal everyone. I have yet to see real answers to social issues from the Libertarians, but I am not an expert on them.

I think you are entirely misinformed

Nightngale's post was very good.

I've always thought the libertarian party has some interesting ideas, but they fail to make a case against some reasonable objections that people might have. And there is also the fact that any political idea or tendency, no matter how good, can be taken to an unhealthy extreme. Historically, the most successful governments have been an amalgam of different, & often opposing, political tendencies.

I'm interested in libetarianism but some things I read from say, the Rand institute, just don't sound right to me.
:|

edited to add:

I have yet to see real answers to social issues from the Libertarians, but I am not an expert on them.

Lucky has a good point. Libertarians really need to get out there and make a case for themselves, addressing the issue of how to replace certain government services with alternatives.

-
another problem with Libertarians is that they generally just don't like politicians very much, so they're not really up on getting out there and, well, polticking for their own position.
:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I'll go on record right now.

Not a chance in the world that -either- will be the actual candidates.

Really? You don't think Sen. Clinton is going to run in '08? Assuming she is re-elected in '06 (likely), it's her only chance, after that, she'll be too old and hopefully, NY will have woken up and be ready to vote her out in 2112. :S Anyway, why don't you think she'll make a run for it?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I'll go on record right now.

Not a chance in the world that -either- will be the actual candidates.

Really? You don't think Sen. Clinton is going to run in '08? Assuming she is re-elected in '06 (likely), it's her only chance, after that, she'll be too old and hopefully, NY will have woken up and be ready to vote her out in 2112. :S Anyway, why don't you think she'll make a run for it?

I don't think he said she wouldn't run, just that she won't be the nominee. I agree. She may be flavor of the month much like Howard Dean was but won't carry it all the way.

She may be flavor of the month much like Howard Dean was but won't carry it all the way.

I think that's exactly what's going to happen...remember Dean was leading by a long ways for a while during the primaries, then look what happened. She'll be the same way, although maybe not AS alienated as Dean became...that guys a fucking nutjob...and allowed to be very influential in the Dem party...why do they do this to themselves?

Are you serious? She's a Bush clone; are you going to tell me 4 or 8 more years of Bush is a good thing?

She's got a brain, and she's extremely articulate -- how can she be a clone?

She's shown very little other than she's a Bush yes man, and without someone to kowtow to, what would she do?

Doesn't meet the experience bar for the office.

Just can't win... find someone with experience? "He's a political hack - too interested in the power game"

Find someone without umpteen years in Congress? "They don't have the experience".

At the end of this term, Ms. Rice will have 8 years of experience - coincidently, the same amount of experience Mrs. Clinton will have.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706