Shotgun

OK, I have decided to become a Christian...

What I hear you saying is that if they don't read the Bible as you read it they can't claim to be christian.

It's a free country anyone can claim their religion as christian.

Christian Pastors, teach from the bible and apply real life scenarios to the bible. If Christian followers do not read the bible then, they don't know the word of God. If they don't know the word of God, then they shouldn't call themselves Christians.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

Dude, seriously, what do you think the answer to that question is?

If you're being a clown, that's okay but if you really think that's true, you should do some more research about Christianity.

Oh man, you are going to fit RIGHT in here in SC.

:D:D
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

>If Christian followers do not read the bible then, they don't know the word of God.

Even those that do often disagree vehemently about the word of God. For example, the bible says to kill gays, and describes how to sell one's daughters into slavery. I assume you don't condone either of those things - so the bible must be re-interpreted to comply with modern culture. And most sects of Christianity take different approaches to that.

Heck, I once read a post from someone on here who honestly believed that the primary message of Jesus was "if someone fucks with you, kill them." They consider themselves Christians too, as do the more extreme elements who call for political assassinations and murder of doctors. They may all read the Bible, but they don't necessarily draw the same conclusions.

>If Christian followers do not read the bible then, they don't know the word of God.

Even those that do often disagree vehemently about the word of God. For example, the bible says to kill gays, and describes how to sell one's daughters into slavery. I assume you don't condone either of those things - so the bible must be re-interpreted to comply with modern culture. And most sects of Christianity take different approaches to that.

Heck, I once read a post from someone on here who honestly believed that the primary message of Jesus was "if someone fucks with you, kill them." They consider themselves Christians too, as do the more extreme elements who call for political assassinations and murder of doctors. They may all read the Bible, but they don't necessarily draw the same conclusions.

But bill, OBVIOUSLY THOSE people are wrong about their interpretations.

Geez man. :S

:ph34r:

Just like anything else......if you haven't read the bible yourself, you shouldn't go by what you hear from other people.

The old testament didn't say it was okay to kill gays or say it was okay to kill people who messed around with you. The old testament has stories about those events taking place. That's exactly what they are, stories. There's nothing in the bible that states that, "it's okay to do this, it's approved!", after every story.

The new testament has stories as well. The new testament has the teachings of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ came down to this world to teach everyone that they're going about things the wrong way. He came teach people to love one another, forgive one another, see wrong doings as trivial, to let God judge those people, and that we should never pass judgement on others.

There are a lot of christians that don't even read the old testament. They skip right to the new testament. There are a lot of positive things in the old testament, such as the 10 commandments, the creation of the world, and tons of stories about people that loved and worshipped God more than life itself.

Samurai136 can attest to this, I'm sure.

There are a lot of christians that don't even read the old testament. They skip right to the new testament. There are a lot of positive things in the old testament, such as the 10 commandments, the creation of the world, and tons of stories about people that loved and worshipped God more than life itself.

But... but... all the other christians on this board tell us that the old testament doesn't apply anymore, and that this includes the ten commandments. I guess I'll just have to go flip a coin to see who are "really" christian... :)
Sidetrack: Somehow "the ten recommendations" doesn't have the same ring to it...
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

>if you haven't read the bible yourself, you shouldn't go by what you
> hear from other people.

That's quite right - but have you? Because you then say:

>The old testament didn't say it was okay to kill gays . . .

It COMMANDED that gays be killed.

Leviticus 20:13 - If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.

It doesn't say "hey, this guy was killed and God visited a harsh judgement upon them." It says they SHALL SURELY be killed - and just so there is no question about who's doing the killing, it will involve blood, not some sort of afterlife judgement. And Leviticus 20 begins "Then the LORD spoke to Moses . . " So this is the Lord talking, not some historian or prophet.

Many people get around that by saying "well, this is an ancient book of law, not of conduct; you don't have to listen to the Lord in this case" and that's fine. But the Bible says in no uncertain terms that gays SHALL be killed - and that God gave the order.

> The old testament has stories about those events taking place.

It ain't a story. That's why you have to read it.

>There are a lot of christians that don't even read the old testament.

Indeed!

That's quite right - but have you? Because you then say:

Yes I have. I read it everyday. I started reading it front to back. And quite honestly, I cannot retain every single verse in the bible. I only remember key points. I'm only up to Acts right now.

As I had stated earlier, in the new testament, Jesus Christ came down to teach people they were going about everything the wrong way. He teaches that you shouldn't kill or hate people. If they do wrong, pray for them, forgive them and try to help them.

Luke 6:27-36 Jesus said:"But if you are willing to listen, I say, love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. Pray for the happiness of those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn the other cheek....and when things are taken away from you, don't try to get them back. Do for others as you would like them to do for you. Do you think you deserve credit merely for loving those who love you?...And if you lend money only to those who can repay you, what good is that?...Love your enemies! Do good to them!...Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for he is kind to the unthankful and to those who are wicked. You must be compassionate, just as your Father is compassionate."

It ain't a story. That's why you have to read it.

but it is a story my friend. It's labeled exactly that, "The Greatest Story Ever Told". It's a story about holy people with regular people drama. It shows holy people falling from grace and getting back up again. Stories teach and we learn from them.

It's labeled exactly that, "The Greatest Story Ever Told".

Well, in all fairness, that's not a universal label; it's labeled that by those whose religions use it as their primary scripture. People from other religions might acknowledge it as a great story, but they probably don't refer to it as the greatest story ever told.

>but it is a story my friend.

Sorry, I was unclear. I agree that overall the Bible is a history book and a moral guide and should not be taken literally. Some parts of the Bible, specifically in the New Testament, are identified specifically as parables, and some aren't (like Leviticus.) I have no problem at all with people who take the lessons of the Bible as a whole. But it does bug me when people say "the Bible is the literal, absolute, unquestioned word of God! Except for this part that we've all agreed to ignore." (Not saying that _you_ say that.)

But it does bug me when people say "the Bible is the literal, absolute, unquestioned word of God!

The scriptures are God breathed. Therefore, it is the ultimate word of God. That's definitely how I feel about the new testament. The old testament definitely had my head spinning. The new testament is all about how Jesus teaches us the right way to live. And his words in the new testament are the ultimate word of God. We believe it to be the word of God. Which is why, if pastors do not teach based on the new testament, they're not being true Christians because there is no other reference in which we can use to teach the way Jesus wanted us to live. It's our RTFM of life and the way to live eternally.

Some parts of the Bible, specifically in the New Testament, are identified specifically as parables

That's exactly what Jesus did. He explained what was expected of them through parables, that was the only way people could understand him.

Yes! :)The Bible is supposed to be the Christian's guide to living life.

Jesus said many people will come to him, in the end, claiming they knew him; afterall, they did plenty of good works in his name. But Jesus will say "depart from me, I never knew you." ( sorry, can't remember scripture).
Clearly, there are a LOT of people out there who think they will be in heaven, but won't. :|
( It's more than just claiming Christianity as your religion and believing in God.)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Yes!
The Bible is supposed to be the Christian's guide to living life.

Jesus said many people will come to him, in the end, claiming they knew him; afterall, they did plenty of good works in his name. But Jesus will say "depart from me, I never knew you." ( sorry, can't remember scripture).

OK, so far, so good...

Clearly, there are a LOT of people out there who think they will be in heaven, but won't. :|
( It's more than just claiming Christianity as your religion and believing in God.)

...But there's where you lose most of your audience.
It may come as a shock to you, but neither Christians nor born-again Christians have a corner on the market on spaces in Heaven.

And there's where you lose most of your audience.
It may come as a shock to you, but neither Christians nor born-again Christians have a corner on the market on spaces in Heaven.

Can we just merge this thread with the Thread and be done with it? :ph34r:

Can we just merge this thread with the Thread and be done with it?

Yes! This thread is false and all who post in it are condemned to eternity in the fiery lake!.... oh... DOH! :)B|
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

What audience? :S All I know is what the Bible says...and the Bible DOES say many people will claim they knew Jesus...but he will say they never did. I just believe what the Bible says.:|

People can think whatever they want, about me, God, Christianity, etc. I don't live my life for an audience, except for an audience of One: Jesus Christ. He will be the only person whom I will stand before, on the day that I die, nobody else. ( Nobody from Speakers' Corner, or any where else:P). I guess in the end WE all will find out. B|

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

What audience? :S All I know is what the Bible says...and the Bible DOES say many people will claim they knew Jesus...but he will say they never did. I just believe what the Bible says.:|

People can think whatever they want, about me, God, Christianity, etc. I don't live my life for an audience, except for an audience of One: Jesus Christ. He will be the only person whom I will stand before, on the day that I die, nobody else. ( Nobody from Speakers' Corner, or any where else:P). I guess in the end WE all will find out. B|

"What audience?" The audience of human beings to whom you speak in this and other threads, and in conversations you have with people in your life.

I never fail to be amazed at the arrogance of people who preach that only those who share their particular theology will go to Heaven. Born-again Christians aren't the only ones in the world who do that, but boy, they sure do it.

Can we just merge this thread with the Thread and be done with it? :ph34r:

NO!!! Keeping you Christians busy looking at as many threads as possible so you are not out brain-washing innocent victims seems like a good idea to me! :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

...But there's where you lose most of your audience.

That's where you are misled my friend. We all get judged when our time comes. Christian don't claim to have a corner market on spaces in heaven. A christian cannot boast about being saved and know that they will go to heaven and mock others, judge others or criticize others if they're not saved. If they do, they're not doing what Jesus has taught and they too will be judged for doing so. Christians are not allowed to Judge