warpedskydiver

willie nelson's new gay cowboy song

Willie Nelson Releases Gay Cowboy Song
By Associated Press
2 hours ago

Willie Nelson performs during a show in Nashville, Tenn., ...
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Country music outlaw Willie Nelson sang "Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" and "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" more than 25 years ago. He released a very different sort of cowboy anthem this Valentine's Day.

"Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly (Fond of Each Other)" may be the first gay cowboy song by a major recording artist. But it was written long before this year's Oscar-nominated "Brokeback Mountain" made gay cowboys a hot topic.

Available exclusively through iTunes, the song features choppy Tex-Mex style guitar runs and Nelson's deadpan delivery of lines like, "What did you think all them saddles and boots was about?" and "Inside every cowboy there's a lady who'd love to slip out."

The song, which debuted Tuesday on Howard Stern's satellite radio show, was written by Texas-born singer-songwriter Ned Sublette in 1981. Sublette said he wrote it during the "Urban Cowboy" craze and always imagined Nelson singing it.

Someone passed a copy of the song to Nelson back in the late 1980s and, according to Nelson's record label, Lost Highway, he recorded it last year at his Pedernales studio in Texas.

Nelson has appeared in several Western movies and sings "He Was a Friend of Mine" on the "Brokeback Mountain" soundtrack.

my uncle john used to get stoned w/ willie. he's dead now.

You said this same phrase before. Is there some sort of connection? Did he die WHILE getting stoned with willie?

lol! (there I go lolling again!) no, he didn't die WITH willie, it was a few years later... but those years partying w/ willie contributed to his addiction for sure. not that i'm down on willie at all. i just think it's a funny/tragic thing to say that my uncle used to party w/ willie and now he's dead...

it's really an interesting story. john was his name. he was a very talented guitarist. he was also a moosehead beer distributor. but one night while on a double date w/ his wife and another couple, the other couple got into an argument. the man went to his car, got a gun, and went to shoot the woman. he missed, and hit john in the femoral artery. he died on the operating table, was revived, but had a permenant handicap from then on. that's how he became a drug addict, from pain meds following the shooting. this all happened in phoenix.

john also was a part owner of some amesthyst (sp?) mines in the mountains in arizona. one of his smuggler/owner friends had a bell jet ranger helicopter and they were flying in the canyons looking at the mines. they struck a canyon wall and crashed. john didn't die, but one of the rotors hit john in the face and knocked out a bunch of teeth and disfigured his face. it took a long time for rescuers to get them out of the remote area.

later, in downtown phx, late at night, he was involved in a drug deal gone bad and as he tried to speed away from a buyer, he was shot in the back of the head w/ a shotgun. he lost an eye and some brain matter, but he was well enough to drive himself to st. joe's in downtown phx. he didn't die this time either, but suffered irreperable brain damage and could no longer care for himself.

so, his elderly father came out from texas and moved him home. on the drive out there, they stopped at a gas station to get gas. as john's dad was inside the station paying for the gas, john just fell forward on the dashboard and died. just like that.

it was a very anticlimactic death for a very exciting but tragic life.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

later, in downtown phx, late at night, he was involved in a drug deal gone bad and as he tried to speed away from a buyer, he was shot in the back of the head w/ a shotgun.

Do they hunt quail in downtown phx?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

later, in downtown phx, late at night, he was involved in a drug deal gone bad and as he tried to speed away from a buyer, he was shot in the back of the head w/ a shotgun.

Do they hunt quail in downtown phx?

As a matter of fact, it WAS Cheney out late for a heroin score, now that you mention it!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

You said this same phrase before. Is there some sort of connection? Did he die WHILE getting stoned with willie?

lol! (there I go lolling again!) no, he didn't die WITH willie, it was a few years later... but those years partying w/ willie contributed to his addiction for sure. not that i'm down on willie at all. i just think it's a funny/tragic thing to say that my uncle used to party w/ willie and now he's dead...

it's really an interesting story. john was his name. he was a very talented guitarist. he was also a moosehead beer distributor. but one night while on a double date w/ his wife and another couple, the other couple got into an argument. the man went to his car, got a gun, and went to shoot the woman. he missed, and hit john in the femoral artery. he died on the operating table, was revived, but had a permenant handicap from then on. that's how he became a drug addict, from pain meds following the shooting. this all happened in phoenix.

john also was a part owner of some amesthyst (sp?) mines in the mountains in arizona. one of his smuggler/owner friends had a bell jet ranger helicopter and they were flying in the canyons looking at the mines. they struck a canyon wall and crashed. john didn't die, but one of the rotors hit john in the face and knocked out a bunch of teeth and disfigured his face. it took a long time for rescuers to get them out of the remote area.

later, in downtown phx, late at night, he was involved in a drug deal gone bad and as he tried to speed away from a buyer, he was shot in the back of the head w/ a shotgun. he lost an eye and some brain matter, but he was well enough to drive himself to st. joe's in downtown phx. he didn't die this time either, but suffered irreperable brain damage and could no longer care for himself.

so, his elderly father came out from texas and moved him home. on the drive out there, they stopped at a gas station to get gas. as john's dad was inside the station paying for the gas, john just fell forward on the dashboard and died. just like that.

it was a very anticlimactic death for a very exciting but tragic life.

that sory sure has the makings of a Waylon and Willie song!:D:D:D

A friend of mine had a flat tire(and no spare)in the Hill Country and he started walking. Then a guy pulled up and asked him if he needed a ride-the guy was Willie!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Maybe Willie is getting ready to ride out of the closet.

I think that is really what's going on here. (I used to kind of like his music until I heard this.)....Steve1

Is it the musical aspect of the song that you dont like or the lyrical content/subject matter? If its the latter, it bothers me that you write off Willie as a good artist because of a song he writes. Willie was persecuted for being ahead of his time and progressive in country music back in the day...here it is again.

In the case that you just dont like the music in the song, my apologies. But sometimes even jokes contribute to the opression in society today.

Cheers,
Travis

you write off Willie as a good artist because of a song he writes.

He didn't write it.

And they weren't cowboys, they were sheepherders!
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

you write off Willie as a good artist because of a song he writes.

He didn't write it.

And they weren't cowboys, they were sheepherders!

OK, you've got me there. I'll rephrase that...a song he performs/records. And we'll say sheepherders in stead of cowboys.

Cheers,
Travis

Which offenses are punishable by stoning in the US? *ducks* :P

(seriously, that was how I read the sentence the first time :D)
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Is it the musical aspect of the song that you dont like or the lyrical content/subject matter? If its the latter, it bothers me that you write off Willie as a good artist because of a song he writes. Willie was persecuted for being ahead of his time and progressive in country music back in the day...here it is again.

In the case that you just dont like the music in the song, my apologies. But sometimes even jokes contribute to the opression in society today.

I get your point. I've always like his music but I don't like his lyrics to this one. I guess some of my predjudices are showing, and again maybe that is something I need to work on. But before you give me a lecture on this....What are your predjudices. We all have them. Some of us may be more honest about it. And I agree, predjudice is not a good thing, and this is something I need to change.

I used to be a rodeo cowboy and possibly I take offense in that respect.

Actually I have a step brother who recently came out of the closet. I even met his "Gay" boy friend. They both reside together in San Francisco.

To tell you the truth I was actually very happy to get this news. Growing up in my dysfunctional alcoholic family he was supposed to have been the only "good" kid in the family. My evil step-mother never missed an opportunity to remind my other brothers and I that we weren't worth a "shit", and that her son was the only one of us who was going to amount to something.

So, naturally when he came out of the closet and announced to the world that he was a homo-sexual, I was really happy.....Steve1

So, did he amount to something? Or is being gay enough to make him the black sheep? Is she no longer proud of her good son? [:/]

No, he's still their favorite. I've since said the hell with both my step-mother and Dad. There's plenty more I could say about them, but I'll leave it at that.

But, getting back to my Gay step brother....I'm actually not as narrow minded as you might think. I tollerate him even though I have great difficulty understanding where he is coming from. I'm courteous and have never put him down for his being a homo-sexual. He's good to my daughters and even sends them money. So, I don't dislike him.

He doesn't have much to do with me now, because I think his Mom is an old witch and I've been open about how I feel about her....So, that's my life's story.....Steve1(the biggot)

I'm actually not as narrow minded as you might think.

That's why I was careful with my wording. It's OK by me if you don't understand where your gay step-brother is coming from. That's not bigotry. He could be straight and you still might not relate. And though there are definite negative tones regarding homosexuality in some of your posts, I'm not getting any "I hate all gays" vibes from you...

No worries - you're not being judged a bigot (at least not by me) ;)

I was just curious if being gay was enough of a "sin" in your family to negate all other good accomplishments or qualities. It is in some families, unfortunately. [:/]

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I really appreciate that response. I'm glad to see that you are recognizing your slight prejudices and are honest about it rather than getting defensive and getting scrappy. You have a good point. We all have prejudices in one way or another and to tell you the truth, i'm not sure what mine are right now, which means I haven't been thinking about it enough. Thanks for being respectful. I'm glad to know that your brother came out and was able to rise up above all the shit he and you have gone through in life with your step-mother.

Cheers,
Travis