warpedskydiver

New Rifle ....I want one!!!!

For some long-range sniper missions, a .50 caliber (12.7mm) round just isn’t big enough. The Barrett company, which pioneered the development of the modern .50 caliber sniper rifle, has now built a 25mm sniper rifle (although shoulder cannon may be a more precise term), the XM109. Ten prototype weapons are being made available for testing this month. Designed to destroy light armor, the XM109 is a semi-automatic 25mm rifle that has a 17.6 inch long barrel and an overall length of 46 inches. It weighs in at 46 pounds and has a 5 round magazine. In comparison, the Barrett M107 .50 caliber sniper rifle in general use today has a 29 inch barrel, overall length of 57 inches, and weighs in at a mere 32 pounds, with a magazine capacity of 10 rounds.

A spiked bipod is included to steady the XM109 for firing and it has a standard M1319 accessory rail for scopes and other accessories. Barrett will either sell a complete rifle or supply upgrade kits to convert the M107 .50 sniper rifle over to the 25mm configuration, replacing the bolt, upper receiver, and magazine.

To complement this “rifle” is a computerized sight called the BORS (Barrett Optical Ranging Sighting System). BORS is specifically designed for long-range shooting at 1,000 meters and longer distances, measuring and compensating for air pressure, temperature, and the angle of the weapon in relation to the target. Precisely compensating for all these factors and successfully hitting the target on the first shot is possible, but difficult. BORS is designed to take all the sweat-math work out of first-round shots, leaving the operator with simply dialing in the distance to target, selecting the ammunition type, and putting the cross-hairs on the target. Future versions of BORS will incorporate a rangefinder, and night vision capability.

Effective distance armor piercing “lethality” for the rifle is listed at 2000 meters. The 25mm round is derivative design from the AH-64 Apache helicopter’s M789 high-explosive dual purpose (good against armor and personnel) 30mm ammunition and will penetrate at least 50 millimeters of armor plating, making it capable of destroying light armored vehicles, SCUD launchers, and other equipment. According to the ammunition manufacturer, the 25mm round is 2.5 times more effective at destroying targets than a .50 caliber armor-piercing round. At some point the system will also be integrated to use 25mm airburst ammunition designed for the OCWS.

One drawback to the weapon is the heavy recoil of the round. Barrett is working on reducing the recoil. Finally, a company slide describes the weapon as a “payload rifle” and also alludes to the ability to remove the muzzle break and replace it with a sound suppressor.

Remember when the military upgraded from jeeps to hummers? The civilian side had to do it too.

I'm thinking of going the next step. Instead of a hummer, I was thinking of a Bradley fighting vehicle.

I wonder if gun mounts are optional or standard... :) I'll bet that traffic is easier to navigate. :D

Now that's an Assault Rifle!!!!!
Wouldn't it be more accurately described as an: SMSAGL? Shoulder Mounted Semi Automatic Grenade Launcher.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Ok now that's just ludicrous.

Outside of the military or similar applications, sure, but man I would love to shoot one, I bet its fun. Expensive to shoot but I bet its fun. That's the sort of thing thats a hell of a lot of fun to have so you can go play at a good range. Or reach out and touch a deer at 2000m.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That's the sort of thing thats a hell of a lot of fun to have so you can go play at a good range.

I doubt you will find many , if any, civilian ranges that will let you fire a 25mm round. I don't think this model will see much circulation in the civilian market. We had a couple of them floating around work not long ago. They are heavy as fuck. I don't look forward to carrying one for any distance anytime soon. Now the gatlin gun we had mounted on top of the Hummers was the heat in Afghanistan and very effective.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I doubt you will find many , if any, civilian ranges that will let you fire a 25mm round.

You are obviously right in this regard. Its good to have friends with land who have used a front end loader to build up a berm. With the same friends who love odd guns, especially those of a large caliber they get to shoot.;)

I agree, the civilian market (if it even gets released), will be so slim it'll incite a riot in the anti-gunrights crowd trying to ban this new exotic and dangerous weapon from the 10's of people that buy one.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Now that's an Assault Rifle!!!!!
Wouldn't it be more accurately described as an: SMSAGL? Shoulder Mounted Semi Automatic Grenade Launcher.

It would be better described that way if you used fragmentation Munitions. It don't look like no assault rifle to me. Too big, and doesn't have the ROF. I would hate to even try to rapid fire that sucker.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Oh man! That looks nice! I would love to fire one! I guess I need to go Ranger Sniper just to get the chance to even look at it. I doubt it would go any farther than that with the units.

Just need to start practicing now... "I didnt shoot HIM I shot his canteen!" LoL!

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

Ok now that's just ludicrous.

Outside of the military or similar applications, sure, but man I would love to shoot one, I bet its fun. Expensive to shoot but I bet its fun. That's the sort of thing thats a hell of a lot of fun to have so you can go play at a good range. Or reach out and touch a deer at 2000m.:D

Oh I am sure it can shoot a couple of miles, but if I where to shoot it I would probably (i.e. deffinately) dislocate my shoulderB|

Anyway, why would anyone (military speaking) attack any living thing with a 50cal? Surely that would slice the poor guy in half :/
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Anyway, why would anyone (military speaking) attack any living thing with a 50cal? Surely that would slice the poor guy in half :/

It's the long range and accuracy that makes the .50 cal so effective. It's got the bullet weight and energy to kill reliably well beyond the range of the .308. That translates to more American lives saved.

I'm with dave, the landowner where i hunt has a Barrett .50 and a 1000yard range on his property. He wouldn't let me shoot it though.:D

I doubt you will find many , if any, civilian ranges that will let you fire a 25mm round. I don't think this model will see much circulation in the civilian market. We had a couple of them floating around work not long ago.

gotta love that.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

[It's got the bullet weight and energy to kill reliably well beyond the range of the .308. That translates to more American lives saved.

And more lives of other nations lost... There's always two sides...
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I love guns just as much as the next guy. I have two Colt 1991-A1's, both Commander and Government models. I have a Glock 26 9mm, and a Para Ordnance Warthog .45. But seriously, what the fuck are you going to do with a .50 Sniper Rifle? It basically blows your shoulder out of it's socket every time you shoot it, and if you were to shoot an animal with that cannon it would probably blow the damn thing up.

I guess it would be cool to have on the mantel, though :ph34r:

[It's got the bullet weight and energy to kill reliably well beyond the range of the .308. That translates to more American lives saved.

And more lives of other nations lost... There's always two sides...

That's just tough shit if you are on the wrong end of the big stick. Don't be a fuckoff, and you won't get a .50 up your ass.

I doubt you will find many , if any, civilian ranges that will let you fire a 25mm round. I don't think this model will see much circulation in the civilian market.

The largest legal modern firearm caliber for civilians is .50. 25mm is about twice that diameter, and is therefore illegal for civilians to own. Darn it.