bodypilot90

Blanco and Nagin lets train leave with no one on board

Sad, really sad.

In fact, while the last regularly scheduled train out of town had left a few hours earlier, Amtrak had decided to run a "dead-head" train that evening to move equipment out of the city. It was headed for high ground in Macomb, Miss., and it had room for several hundred passengers. "We offered the city the opportunity to take evacuees out of harm's way," said Amtrak spokesman Cliff Black. "The city declined."

So the ghost train left New Orleans at 8:30 p.m., with no passengers on board.

That night, Mayfield picked up his phone again, to make sure Govs. Blanco and Barbour understood the potential for disaster. "I wanted to be able to go to sleep that night," he said. He told Barbour that Katrina had the potential to be a "Camille-like storm," referring to the August 1969 hurricane with 200-mph winds, and warned Blanco that this one would be a "big, big deal." Blanco was still unsure that Nagin fully understood, and urged Mayfield to call him personally.

"I told him, 'This is going to be a defining moment for a lot of people,' " Mayfield recalled.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/10/AR2005091001529_pf.html

sad indeed, every car/bus/train that left new orleans with an empty seat is sad. now sadder and sadest is the homeland security departments response, femas response, and bush not even responding for a few days besides lamenting about his rich kid drunken party days in new orleans.

people see me as a challenge to their balance

and sadest is the homeland security departments response, femas response

Help was offered and refused or at least delayed.

You really ought to read the Stafford Act and take a look at the NRP www.dhs.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/NRPbaseplan.pdf

to see what the President can (and should) do before any request comes from a city or state.

Edited to add - and the State of Emergency was declared even before the storm hit. That's all the President needed to go into action - read the Act.

FACT - FEMA did not follow its own NRP.
FACT - The US Coast Guard went in as soon as the storm subsided, under the same authority that FEMA could have used.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Right - I'm glad we don't have Blanco and Nagin running emergency planning in Illinois.

But we do have FEMA.:(

Thank God!

At least FEMA is doing thier job.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

You really ought to read the Stafford Act and take a look at the NRP www.dhs.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/NRPbaseplan.pdf

to see what the President can (and should) do before any request comes from a city or state.

Edited to add - and the State of Emergency was declared even before the storm hit. That's all the President needed to go into action - read the Act.

FACT - The US Coast Guard went in as soon as the storm subsided, under the same authority that FEMA could have used.

Some day you may learn to find facts instead of going to CNN NPR, CBS, NBC, ABC:S

As the truth is coming out and more Americans do not blame the president. But they do blame state and city leaders your partisanship comes more to light.

ABC's interviews last night after the presidents address was a shameful example as they looked to find someone to blame GWB. When they finaly got the 5th or 6th one to say it was the presidents fault (even after the shamefully leading questions) the last one was the one that made the evening report.

But the media is not bias:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

As the truth is coming out and more Americans do not blame the president. But they do blame state and city leaders your partisanship comes more to light.

You mean someone else apart from thinks that GWB & FEMA bears no responsibility!!!;)

Most folks I speak to think that the entire system failed from top to bottom from the commie left to the extreme right, from president right down to the mayor.
In this instance you have to look beyond your support for the republicans and see what is really happening. Even GWB (to his credit) did this.

I think the govenor and the mayor should loose their jobs. If they were my major or govenor they would not get my vote ever again.
I think Brown was correct to resign
GWB did good accepting some responsibility in a non-partisan fashion, why can't you accept that?

I expect you will accuse me of being a loony lefty or a bush basher or attach some other label to me rather than address the issue, but then again maybe you will not.

Am I the only one that remembers that the President declared the Gulf Coast a disaster area two days before the storm hit?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Some day you may learn to find facts instead of going to CNN NPR, CBS, NBC, ABC:S

ABC's interviews last night after the presidents address was a shameful example as they looked to find someone to blame GWB. When they finaly got the 5th or 6th one to say it was the presidents fault (even after the shamefully leading questions) the last one was the one that made the evening report.

Yeah, everyone EXCEPT FOX and Rush are wrong...

Get the fuck over it. The mayor is an idiot. Granted. I've seen enough of him to say that with confidence. HOWEVER, Bush (via FEMA) had the authority to override him starting on Saturday when the "state of emergency" was declared.

Thay could have acted, should have acted, and had the power to act. They didn't.

They fucked up.

Big time.

And a lot of people died because of it.

Admit it. Bush already did.

A real man can say "I fucked up, I'm sorry. I will try to do better next time." I know politicians have a hard time doing this but you have no such excuse.
illegible usually

Yeah, everyone EXCEPT FOX and Rush are wrong...

Get the fuck over it. The mayor is an idiot. Granted. I've seen enough of him to say that with confidence. HOWEVER, Bush (via FEMA) had the authority to override him starting on Saturday when the "state of emergency" was declared.

Thay could have acted, should have acted, and had the power to act. They didn't.

They fucked up.

Big time.

And a lot of people died because of it.

Admit it. Bush already did.

A real man can say "I fucked up, I'm sorry. I will try to do better next time." I know politicians have a hard time doing this but you have no such excuse.

My understanding was that he could not, short of invoking the Insurrection Act - do you have proof to the contrary?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

My understanding was that he could not, short of invoking the Insurrection Act - do you have proof to the contrary?

Must be what the US Coast Guard used, eh?

Go read the Stafford Act and FEMA's own mandate.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Must be what the US Coast Guard used, eh?

Go read the Stafford Act and FEMA's own mandate.

I did - I mentioned the fact in another thread that the governor has to request assistance per the Stafford Act.

The act gives him the power to direct Federal agencies, coordinate disaster relief assistance, provide technical and administrative assistance to state and local governments, and assist in distributing emergency supplies. (Sec 402)

Of course, the President cannot act on any of that until the governor of the affected state formally requests the assistance. (Sec 401)

Once the disaster was declared, the Coast Guard could be ordered in just like any other service.

The Coast Guard were able to get there first because they were closest. Too bad the state told the Airborne that they didn't need their help, hm?

Nobody is saying that there were no mistakes made at the Federal level. *SOME* posters *DO* seem to be saying that ALL the mistakes were at the Federal level, though...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706