TheAnvil

This ticks me off

I agree with it.

If it is Illegal, then a state should not be able to make it legal.

Stevens said it best:
"but perhaps even more important than these legal avenues is the democratic process, in which the voices of voters allied with these [California women] may one day be heard in the halls of Congress."

If Congress OK's it then it is OK. Until then it is still illegal, and a local or state governement should not be able to over rule a Federal Law.

Also no medical tests have proven it to be a help.

Get the proof that it helps, then take it to Congress.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

In the court's main decision, Stevens raised concerns about abuse of marijuana laws. "Our cases have taught us that there are some unscrupulous physicians who overprescribe when it is sufficiently profitable to do so," he said.

That is one of the dumbest arguments I've ever heard on this topic.

I'm guessing most FDA approved pain pills are more expensive than a bag of weed.
:S

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

In the court's main decision, Stevens raised concerns about abuse of marijuana laws. "Our cases have taught us that there are some unscrupulous physicians who overprescribe when it is sufficiently profitable to do so," he said.

That is one of the dumbest arguments I've ever heard on this topic.

I'm guessing most FDA approved pain pills are more expensive than a bag of weed.

j

Yeah, but pharmaceutical companies make campaign donations. Potheads don't have any money to make campaign donations.
This ad space for sale.

Legally it's correct. It ticks me off that Congress made it illegal in the first place. This ruling is a reminder of that. Odd, as I've never smoked weed, but I'm a huge proponent of limited legalization of illicit drugs. I think outlawing them is stupid and a waste of federal/state $$ in enforcement.
:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

It ticks me off that Congress made it illegal in the first place. This ruling is a reminder of that. Odd, as I've never smoked weed, but I'm a huge proponent of limited legalization of illicit drugs. I think outlawing them is stupid and a waste of federal/state $$ in enforcement.

OK, but that is a second issue not related to the legality of this action.

The SC did its job exactly as it should have.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

OXYCODONE/APAP 7.5-325MG TABLETS $84.99 /60 Tabs (Oxycontin)

MEPERIDINE 50MG TABLETS $27.29 /30 Tabs (Demerol)

HYDROMORPHONE 4MG TABLETS $51.99 /100 Tabs (Dilaudid)

MORPHINE SULFATE ER 30MG TABLETS $103.49 /100 Tabs (Just plain old Morphine)

PROPOXYPHENE-N 100 W/ APAP 650 TABS $19.99 /60 Tabs (Darvocet)

HYDROCODONE/APAP 10MG/660MG TABS $39.99 /60 Tabs (Vicodin)

Unless someone grows their own, I think weed would be much more expensive than most pain medication.

Personally, I wish the fed. gov't would just legalize the stuff and stop spending so much damn money trying to stop something they'll never be able to.:S

Are those mexican prices or the "special internet" prices.

IMO, Physicians aren't going to get that much of a kick back on weed like they do on those pain pills that you don't need and won't work when you do need them because they were way over prescribed to begin with.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Are those mexican prices or the "special internet" prices.

IMO, Physicians aren't going to get that much of a kick back on weed like they do on those pain pills that you don't need and won't work when you do need them because they were way over prescribed to begin with.

Those are retail prices from a major US pharmacy chain (that I work for). I can give you the website with the info if you would like.;)

Some pain pills can be very expensive, but the most common ones really aren't that much.

What a shame that current "drug" laws can make a useful drug iillegitimate because a law says so.

What exactly is the difference to them here? That there is a sub culture that enjoys it in a recreational application and it can be produced by natural means? That they cannot tax it?

Let the patient suffering from chronic pain, cancer, nausea, AIDS wasting, lack of appetite, schizophrenia, glaucoma and especially nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy continue to suffer - because Congress calls it "illegal"?

Just re-god-damn-diculous

Carpe Diem

Those are retail prices from a major US pharmacy chain (that I work for). I can give you the website with the info if you would like.

I'm in no pain and I'm more of an Advil person, but do you happen work for the people that make Allegra? They gave out some lotion as a promotional item a few years back, but it didn't have a "name" and it was really awesome lotion - it had sea salt in it. I just want to know what it was, who makes it and where to find it.

Judy

Nice point!

Unfortuantly I see it often! People who purchase "illegal" substances for therapy, pain managment, chemo effects and other situations.

They make levonantradol, nabilone, Marinol and other THC "like" drugs - but it's illegal to use marijuana in it's natural form - :S

Carpe Diem

Let the patient suffering from chronic pain, cancer, nausea, AIDS wasting, lack of appetite, schizophrenia, glaucoma and especially nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy continue to suffer - because Congress calls it "illegal"?

Do you have proof that it fixes all these problems?

Cause some disagree:

"Our national medical system relies on proven scientific research, not popular opinion. To date, science and research have not determined that smoking marijuana is safe or effective," John Walters, director of National Drug Control Policy, said Monday.

So other than anicdotal evidence, has any Medical studies proven pot to be a good drug?

Ah, once again we see the commerce clause jurisprudence from the 1930's and 1960's rearing its ugly head. It used to be that states had control over something like this pursuant to "Police Powers." Since the days of FDR and the Warren Court of the 60's, it turns out that the government can regulate anything through the commerce clause even if it is noncommercial.

It's amazing, isn't it, that Justices like O'Connor, Rehquist and Clarence Thomas are the ones dissenting. It turns out that they believe that the states should have the right to decide what is legal in the states. Meanwhile, the liberals don't hold personal freedoms to be as important as the need for a strong central government. We can't have piss-ant states telling people they are allowed to do things. No, the federal government will tell you what you can and cannot do.

Isn't it nice that the federal government protects all of us from the states that allow us to do things that are bad for us?

p.s. - Antonin Sclaia, you've let me down again.

Edited to add: Google "Wickard v. Fillburn" and "katzenbach v. McClung" to see how unnecessary it is for any involvement with interstate commerce to have regulation thrust upon you.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Those are retail prices from a major US pharmacy chain (that I work for). I can give you the website with the info if you would like.

I'm in no pain and I'm more of an Advil person, but do you happen work for the people that make Allegra? They gave out some lotion as a promotional item a few years back, but it didn't have a "name" and it was really awesome lotion - it had sea salt in it. I just want to know what it was, who makes it and where to find it.

Judy

I don't know who makes it, but I do know what you're talking about. When I worked in a store a few year ago, they had sent us some of that stuff.

Allegra is manufactured by Aventis, if you give them a call, they might be able to point you in the right direction. ;)

Aventis Pharmaceuticals Inc.
300 Somerset Corporate Boulevard
Bridgewater, NJ 08807-2854
1-800-981-2491

So other than anicdotal evidence, has any Medical studies proven pot to be a good drug?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall whenever a proposal to do that gets submitted...

Wonder what the chances of it getting funded are?
Scars remind us that the past is real

I'd love to be a fly on the wall whenever a proposal to do that gets submitted...

So without proof you just want to go ahead and allow a drug to be released?

I don't care either way. I was just thinking aloud about the paucity of studies on the effects of Marijuana....maybe one reason is that it's hard to get funding to study the medical benefits of weed.
Scars remind us that the past is real

Some pain pills can be very expensive, but the most common ones really aren't that much.

Unless you don't have a 'script.

The street prices are greatly inflated for all the drugs you listed. Making something illegal always has the effect of increasing the price.
illegible usually

Unless you don't have a 'script.

The street prices are greatly inflated for all the drugs you listed. Making something illegal always has the effect of increasing the price.

True, I didn't think about that aspect of it.

>So without proof you just want to go ahead and allow a drug to be
>released?

Sometimes that makes sense, when anecdotal/historical evidence says it's safe. Aspirin was never researched/approved, it's just been around forever and seems to work, so it was sort of grandfathered in. And lo and behold, when they started to look at it more closely, it had other benefits, like blood thinning for people at risk for an MI. It took them about 30 years of research before it was 'approved' for that use, although many physicians were recommending it before that. It's fortunate that it did get grandfathered in - had we tried to get approval for aspirin today, its tendency to exacerbate GI bleeds would likely have resulted in its not being safe enough for human usage.

maybe one reason is that it's hard to get funding to study the medical benefits of weed.

Actually the reason is that the development of an herbal remedy has no licensing value.

There is a LOT of research for product dev on other derived products (eg: marinol) but if you know you can't make any $$ from it, it would be pretty dumb to invest millions on R&D.
illegible usually

What's wrong with that? What about the cases of people who are terminally ill and will die a painful death overa six month period. We tell them, "The long-term implications of this medicine have not been studied. While initial studies indicate no significant risks over a two-year period, this drug may lead to an increased risk for certain cancers in the long term. Until this drug is tested for these, it will not be approved or released."

It's a shame that palliative remedies are not available to people who will be dead shortly. If a person is guaranteed of being dead in six months, why the hell wouldn't we want to give them a chance at some comfort for those months? Because we're worried that it might kill them in 15 years?

It makes about as much sense as not allowing a last cigarette for the guy about to be executed because of the health risks.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Sometimes that makes sense, when anecdotal/historical evidence says it's safe

Pot was never found to be "Safe" in fact studies have shown the opposite:

Smoking pot increases psychosis risk in young people, especially among those who are already vulnerable to psychosis

Researchers say the level of resistance to blood flow among light and moderate marijuana users improved over the course of the abstinence month. But there was no improvement among heavy marijuana users.

This resistance is thought to be caused by the narrowing of blood vessels that happens when the body's own ability to regulate the circulatory system becomes impaired.

"The marijuana users had PI values that were somewhat higher than those of people with chronic high blood pressure and diabetes," says researcher Ronald Herning, PhD, of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (search) in Baltimore, Md., in a news release. "However, their values were lower than those of people with dementia. This suggests that marijuana use leads to abnormalities in the small blood vessels in the brain, because similar PI values have been seen in other diseases that affect the small blood vessels."

There have been studies:

There are 13 ongoing clinical medical marijuana studies and sub-studies in the United States

The United States government distributes marijuana to six people in the United States who are former patients of a now-defunct medical study from the 1970s

Low doses of the main active ingredient in marijuana (search) slowed the progression of hardening of the arteries in mice, suggesting a hint for developing a new therapy in people.

Of the over 400 chemicals in Pot only 30 have been reasearched.

Aspirin was never researched/approved, it's just been around forever and seems to work, so it was sort of grandfathered in

What about blood letting? It seemed to work well enough in the past according to some...Should we bring that back?