EBSB52

Damned liberals

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0426guns-veto26.html

Democratic Governor Napalitano vetoed a bill that would have allowed guns in bars. I'm as pro-gun as it gets, but guns in bars, polling places and banks should stand at being prohibited. I don't know if it was a conservative initiative or non-partisan, but what a joke to want guns in bars, a place where people go to get stupid. This is the wild west, but please, guns in bars????:S

That's pretty interesting, because in my state I've been in some very secluded towns far from any big citys, and that was normal to see the farmers in the bar with their shotguns sitting next to them. I do know in the same state you couldn't do that in the metro. Never was a problem though. Where the problem starts is when you're in the city then you'll have the thugs carrying the guns and probably not any harmless farmers.

Where the problem starts is when you're in the city then you'll have the thugs carrying the guns and probably not any harmless farmers.

Which law is it that keeps the thugs from carrying guns?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

good for him for vetoing this bill. the nra should also have been against this bill as they would be a more effective organization if they promoted responsible gun ownership. taking a gun into a bar is clearly irresponsible.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

taking a gun into a bar is clearly irresponsible.

Why do you feel it is irresponsible?

Many guns are under 21.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Many guns are under 21.

BAHAHA!! That was great. As several others have stated, no law will keep a thug/criminal/vermin from bringing in a firearm to a bar. Law abiding, sensible men and women should be allowed to do the same.

The very real possibility of a criminal coming up against an armed citizen is a WONDERFUL deterent!

GFW (gun fearing wussies) need to get over their fear that just b/c someone has a gun they are going to go into a rage and murder scores of people. You don't see that happening in the 38 or more states that have passed concealed carry laws.

-the artist formerly known as sinker

no law will keep a thug/criminal/vermin from bringing in a firearm to a bar. Law abiding, sensible men and women should be allowed to do the same.

I fully agree with you there.

However, I know when I'm going out to shoot pool (about the only time I go to a bar anymore, besides the DZ:P) I don't even take my weapon with me to keep in my truck for the ride there and back.

Why? I don't personally believe its very responsable of me. Even if I'm under the legal limit to drive, I don't feel its personally the right thing to do (carry a weapon).

Nevermind that I don't like leaving my weapon in my truck for fear of it getting stolen (even though its locked and hidden well, so if someone broke in they would most likely not even find it).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Apparently you don't know something about most states CCW laws.

If you're above the legal limit for driving (.08 here in TX, check your local laws), and you're armed, even if you're a CCW, you are now well beyond the bounds of your license. Even if you're walking home or in a cab.

I do believe for a good number of states they push it through as a Class A or a felony.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

when alcohol is thrown into the mix, tempers can flare and things can escalate quickly. add in the lack of inhibitions and impaired sense of judgement and you have a potentially deadly combination.

No. Carrying a gun while under the influence is clearly irresponsible. There's a difference.

That's what I was getting at. Carrying a gun into a bar is no worse than carrying one into a store, etc..

It's the excessive drinking part that causes a problem, regardless of where it is at. :S

> taking a gun into a bar is clearly irresponsible.

No. Carrying a gun while under the influence is clearly irresponsible. There's a difference.

-
Jim

Thanks for that clarification -- you are exactly on the money w/ that. I'm not for drunks carrying weapons. I'd have no prob carrying my Kimber 45 in a bar, b/c I rarely, if ever, drink.

They might get drunk and randomly start shooting people. Damn drunk guns.:S

Guns and SUVs (G&S) should be legally classified as entities - evil entities - and be forced to pay taxes. This will fund programs where G&S's can go to tolerance and sensitivity classes where they can learn about their basic evil natures and then publicly apologize as a class. They should be stricken from breeding and not allowed last names in order to break down their evil tendencies and sub-group mentality so harmful to society as a whole.

Orientation change surgery should be allowed so they can mitigate their evil natures - SUVs could be rebuilt into Pintos and Guns can be melted and reformed into solar panel frames so they can serve a useful - if subservient - role in our collective commune.

(I don't think it's irresponsible to carry a gun any more than a pencil. But I also consider that a private establishment has the right to restrict who and what is brought onto their property. I also think it's irresponsible to drink alcohol and "operate" a gun. So if you carry one into a bar, you should damn well not drink and also consider that someone who is drinking could attempt to snatch it from you for various reasons - as a bad joke or in anger or whatever. Personal responsibility is bitch, it only applies to the self.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

you don't see the possibility that even a trained CCW holder can get drunk and do something stupid?

Please read the last posts I made.

Bringing a gun into a bar isn't irresponsible or stupid.

Bringing a gun into a bar/club/anywhere while under the influence of alcohol IS irresponsible and stupid.

The bar isn't the dangerous factor, the alcohol is.

It's the excessive drinking part that causes a problem, regardless of where it is at.

If you're above the legal limit for driving (.08 here in TX, check your local laws), and you're armed

.08 can be as little as one or two drinks in an hour depending on weight, that's hardly excessive.

Let's also be realistic, how many people go to a bar and not drink? Sure, there's a few, but not many, definitely not a majority.

I could agree with the arguement that guns should be allowed in bars if the person were a DD or made sure not to drink, but not because "well thugs will bring guns in regardless of the law, I should be able to do it too" That
s just plain stupid.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

I could agree with the arguement that guns should be allowed in bars if the person were a DD or made sure not to drink, but not because "well thugs will bring guns in regardless of the law, I should be able to do it too" That
s just plain stupid.

hmmm... ok, well you just continue on the normal course as it stands now... but if you and I are in a bar sometime and an armed robber comes and I save your life b/c I disobeyed an unjust law, I WILL expect that you buy me a beer and say thank you.

.08 can be as little as one or two drinks in an hour depending on weight, that's hardly excessive.

It's excessive enough to be illegal. If it's enough to impair someone's driving ability, it's enough to impair their ability to make quick decisions with a firearm.

Let's also be realistic, how many people go to a bar and not drink? Sure, there's a few, but not many, definitely not a majority.

True. But wouldn't making it illegal to carry a firearm when under the influence be more effective than banning guns in bars?

when alcohol is thrown into the mix, tempers can flare and things can escalate quickly. add in the lack of inhibitions and impaired sense of judgement and you have a potentially deadly combination.

There are already laws against carrying a gun while drinking. Just as there are laws against drunk driving.

The problem is alcohol, not the gun, or the car.

I see no reason a person can't be in a bar as long as they don't drink. (Provided the Bar owner allows it)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334