EBSB52

Damned liberals

there's something wrong in your calculation. But, to say it in short words: I don't mind. Calculate whatever you like. "One-third of Germany", boy, LMAO

You haven't bothered to explain why you were questioning my number for the population of New York and Chicago.

And you haven't bothered to explain what you find wrong with my number for the population of Germany.

(They both came from my Almanac.)

Thanks for the clarifications.

"One-third of Germany"

John never said what you have quoted. If you are attempting to imply the above quote came from him I believe it to be in bad tact. It is simply not what he said.

I would venture his true comment came as a result of your comment below(which is a direct quote)

Just to have a look on my small Germany with about 82 millions:

Realizing that English is not your first language this comment may have came across wrong to some people. Nevertheless you have misquoted John

Thank you, I'm glad that you are able to keep up with and understand what is being said.

The populations of New York and Chicago (29 million combined) are in fact equal to about one-third of the entire population of Germany. And that is according to the "82 millions" that christelsabine quotes, which also corresponds to my Almanac.

And yet, somehow, she claims that my calculations are bad! And she does this while offering nothing to explain why.

So, dear readers, decide for yourself who has more credibility.

I think when you're not trained with a weapon, it's best not to have one, because you're probably more likely to have it taken from you by the attacker, and, if the attacker was unarmed, you've just armed him and made a bad situation a heck of a lot worse.

Quote:
"At most, 1% of defensive gun uses resulted in the offender taking the gun away from the victim (authors analysis of NCS data). Even these few cases did not necessarily involve the offender snatching the gun out of the victim's hands. Instead a burglar might, for example, have been leaving a home with one of the household's guns when a resident attempted to stop him using another household gun."

- Gary Kleck, PhD, "Point Blank; Guns and Crime in America", Walter de Gruyter Press, 1991. Data from "1975-1985 National Crime Survey", Dept. of Justice.
In other words, in 99% of the cases, the gun belonging to the intended victim either helped in self-defense, or was at worst neutral. Those are good odds in favor of the intended victim!

The populations of New York and Chicago (29 million combined) are in fact equal to about one-third of the entire population of Germany. And that is according to the "82 millions" that christelsabine quotes, which also corresponds to my Almanac.

That, you should have told your water-carrier Craddock before he was playing the fool for you, Holy Moses, LMAO
:)

Man, some Americans just are too funny...:P

dudeist skydiver # 3105

That, you should have told your water-carrier Craddock before he was playing the fool for you, Holy Moses, LMAO

I'm glad that you can find humor in having your personal credibility destroyed in front of the eyes of all who are present here.

I'm glad that you can find humor in having your personal credibility destroyed in front of the eyes of all who are present here.

JohnRich,
whatever you believe in: Feel free. You live in the land of the free, so.. go ahead.

I will be in your beautifuly country within next 2 months, and nothing will stop me from enjoying it.
Cya,
Christel
B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

If you feel unsafe going to bed without a gun at your bedside, I think you have just ipso facto defined your neighborhood as not nice.

I guess my car is unsafe too, because, ipso facto, it has an air bag.
And my house must be a fire hazard, because, ipso facto, I have a fire extinguisher....

Your logic is in reverse, or your grammar is.

I notice that you didn't bother to address your own bad logic.

Good try at a diversion!

Actually my logic was quite correct, my assumption was bad. I assumed, incorrectly, that he is not paranoid. He then corrected me. So we now know he lives in a nice community, but his paranoia causes him to sleep with a gun close at hand. I expect he could get treatment if he wished.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Wow, the exact same thing that just happened Read ONE of my posts and then made a comment about it without bothering to read any further

If you would HAVE read further you would have realized that sinker and I are doing just fine. I understand his position and respect it. There was some miscommunication, but we got past that. Maybe you should to.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Actually my logic was quite correct, my assumption was bad. I assumed, incorrectly, that he is not paranoid. He then corrected me. So we now know he lives in a nice community, but his paranoia causes him to sleep with a gun close at hand. I expect he could get treatment if he wished.

your unwarranted assumptions are STILL bad... I don't sleep w/ a gun next to me b/c I don't live in a nice neighborhood nor do I b/c I'm overly paranoid... read on, professor, maybe it'll sink in THIS time...

actually, the bit about being paranoid was a bit of a joke... I'm assuming you knew that, but Kallend, the more I read your posts the more I think that I shouldn't assume anything.

a little history before I ever owned a gun..... when I was a therapist, I had a patient who we had to commit involuntarily to the psych hospital. He was an alcoholic who got fired from his job (ironically, Kallend, he had a PhD and was a professor at a local college..;) I find that bit amusing). Anyway, his wife decided to leave him and so he threatened to kill himself w/ his gun and wouldn't back down. Ergo, commitment to the funny farm.

SO... I'm in his house w/ two metro cops, waiting for the psychiatrist to sign the legal documents for commitment. While I'm waiting, as calm as could be, this man, who was NOT drunk mind you, proceed to tell me that if we went through w/ this hospitalization, when he got out, he was going to kill me and my family. Mind you, he was threatening me in FRONT of two cops. No anger, no steam, just calmly, cooly, saying that when we got out, we were gonners.

Starting to get a little freaked, I leave him w/ the cops and go outside to wait for the doc. She comes, signs the forms, and one of the cops takes the man away. The other cop comes over to me and says, hey, I have a duty to warn you (Tarasoff anyone??)... after you left, this guy continued to tell us about how he was going to kill you. And so the cop proceeded to advise me about restraining orders and what not. A lot of good THEY are! At this point I was more frightened than I have ever been in my life. More so than at my first tandem, my first AFF, my first dive off AFF, etc. I own my home, so this man could easily go to the county clerk and get my address. Deeds are public, even though we were unlisted in the phone book.

To make a long story short, nothing ever came of it, but the feelings of utter helplessness were too much for me to bear. I realized then that if someone wants to kill you, there is nothing the cops can do, and there is little that YOU can do as well. Except take all available precautions that are w/i your means.

For me, that meant arming myself. Call it paranoia... I call it an extension of my firm belief in the dignity of life... MY life and the lives of my family members. And no one has a right to assault that dignity. If they try, they will have to bear the consequences.

I don't know whatever happened to that guy... it's been 8 years now and not a word from him. At least now, I'm prepared. I wasn't back then.

-the artist formerly known as sinker

One of the things I learned when I was working as a leasing agent for an apartment complex was to get to know the maintenance staff. So, when I moved, I made friends with the staff.

I'm really glad I did. One of the guys on staff came over to tell me that there'd been a few break-ins and attempted break-ins at downstairs apartments in the complex, sometimes when the residents were home. He knows I live alone, and went out of his way to tell me what was happening.

I bought a new security lock for the front door that can't be opened from the outside or kicked open, put window locks on all my windows and screws in the tracks so the window can't be lifted. With the modifications to the windows, the only way in would be to break the glass or the window frame itself. Very noisy, and I'm a very light sleeper. I also bought a shotgun.

I live in a nice neighborhood in orange county, but just because someplace looks nice doesn't mean there aren't risks. I don't feel like I'm being paranoid because I take measures to protect myself and my home against intruders that have already victimized other people in my complex.

You left off the modifier "intelligent" for "criminals" in your sentence.

The intelligent ones like to work in nice neighborhoods for better stuff and less likelihood of gangs coming after you for retribution.

However, as most felons are not particularly intelligent, they tend to prey on their own kind in their own areas.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*