markd_nscr986

New Pope Elected

American Heritage Dictionary has a definition of a Christian as one who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the live and teachings of Jesus.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Dave - in your opinion what is a "true" Christian?

Damned if I know, I quit trying to find out after I got incredibly tired of dealing with religious people.

I'm sure if we could talk to Paul (Saul) then we could find out what the true chuch was and was supposed to be. Until we get a chance to ask him, then you'll just have to read his letters to the various churches of the day.

What I'm saying is church tradition overtaking christian values wasn't in the New Testiment.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dave - in your opinion what is a "true" Christian?

Damned if I know, I quit trying to find out after I got incredibly tired of dealing with religious people.

I'm sure if we could talk to Paul (Saul) then we could find out what the true chuch was and was supposed to be. Until we get a chance to ask him, then you'll just have to read his letters to the various churches of the day.

What I'm saying is church tradition overtaking christian values wasn't in the New Testiment.;)

That's sexist. You need to talk to Mary Magdalen

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just doesn't make much sense to me

Nope doesnt. Much of what the church has done last few years makes very little sense to me. Just take a look at how they handled the child sex abuse issue. Some have said he might be a transitional Pope, that could be it, but seeing as how JPII appointed most of the College who knows.

I don't buy the "they" thingie. Ratzinger was probably the most influential figure in the room. I doubt he lobbied to have himself elected on a "I'll be quiet, barely relevant, and gone pretty quickly" platform.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I'm both pleased and disappointed with the choice of pope. I'm pleased because he's not italian. JPII was the first non-italian pope in 400 years, and if they went back to an italian pope at this point, it would be many years before another country got a chance again for fear of breaking tradition. JPII would have been looked back on as an anomaly, and it would be much harder to break the tradition again. Benedict XVI is German, which does demonstrate a bit of change in the church.

However, I think Benedict is going to be repeating the same stuff that JPII was, and there will be no change in the church. I'm disappointed in this, because when something ceases to change, it usually dies. Many people now (myself included) have a very hard time relating to the church.because it is so far removed from our reality.

However, I think Benedict is going to be repeating the same stuff that JPII was, and there will be no change in the church. I'm disappointed in this, because when something ceases to change, it usually dies. Many people now (myself included) have a very hard time relating to the church.because it is so far removed from our reality.

CNN is reporting that Benedict was the right hand of JPII, and followed many of his beliefs. He's stand on gays, abortion, and women in the priesthood are the same as JPII. Benedict said that he will follow those stands and if it means a decline in the numbers of people in the church, so be it. :S
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

CNN is reporting that Benedict was the right hand of JPII, and followed many of his beliefs. He's stand on gays, abortion, and women in the priesthood are the same as JPII. Benedict said that he will follow those stands and if it means a decline in the numbers of people in the church, so be it.

You would WANT the church to bend to society?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

You would WANT the church to bend to society?

Don't care about the church myself. But doing so (and I would use "adapt" rather than "bend") would allow the Catholic faith to possibly make it to the 22nd Century.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Don't care about the church myself. But doing so (and I would use "adapt" rather than "bend") would allow the Catholic faith to possibly make it to the 22nd Century.

Do you think the church should adapt to society when it against the writtings of the Church?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Or, continuing that line of thought you could say that your average white male represents all of America, when in fact that stereotype is far from representing it. However, there are more average white males in the US then any others, right?

I think you will find that the greatest plurality of Americans are actually white females. They are not a majority. If you drop the gender, are most Americans still white? Can you say that white Americans represent America better than any other group (that would be the more accurate comparison)? Judging by the government, press or this forum, I would have to say 'yes they certainly do.'

Do you think the church should adapt to society when it against the writtings of the Church?

The Catholic church has changed its "writings" many times in the passed. Admitting that the earth was round was a breakthrough; that blacks may possibly have a soul was another crowd favorite. Being threatened to be burned at the stake by the Church for Heresy for claiming that the earth was round looks pretty comical with hindsight...

I don't attend church anymore. After having it forced down my throat till I moved out of my parents' house, I have found peace within myself.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey