Tonto

Inspired by "A Very Disturbing Statistic........ "

Well.

A lot of people are big on telling other people that life is a sacred gift from God, but go out and mutilate their beloved pets reproductive organs, or rather contract someone else to do the job.

Many other people beleive that the right to choose is beyond question - but take that choice away from their pets.

What do the pets think? If they had the right to choose, do you think they would allow you to put them in a little box, take them to the vet, have their balls or ovaries removed and then taken home to be loved until they get old, when you take them back to the vet and have them put out of their misery so that you can get a new pet and do it all again?

If you were a pet... do you think that would be cool?

I think I'd want to start a pet revolution, and eat lots of Kung Pow Human.

How about some research into pet birth control? (or are the Catholics against that?)

For those that are interested, I don't have any pets.

All those of you who say you love your pets, but mutilate their reproductive organs, perhaps have their claws removed (doubtless for your own safety after the way you've treated them) and contract people to kill them when they're old - please try and keep you sense of humour about your macabre need to hold the power of life or death over your loved ones.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Well many conservative christians believe that animals do not have souls, so it doesn't matter.

But you need to add a catagory for me. I'm pro choice and pets and their owners should be snipped. There are way too many children who don't have good homes and responsible parents. Its a problem that I thing needs a serious solution.

Hmm...
We are talking here about domesticated pets in urban areas. Had these pets been born in the wild they would have been allowed to breed unchecked with all their plumbing in working order.
When overpopulated, and depending on their rank in the food chain, many of these pets would have died from not being able to find food or from becoming food for other pets.
My point therefore is that, while the wholesale euthanasia of pets is a disheartening statistic, it can perhaps be seen as an organised urban substitute for natural ecology.

I certainly believe that sterilising one's pets is preferable, to avoid the scenario above, and I justify this 'mutilation' by suggesting that pets lack sufficient 'intelligent emotion' to truly understand the implications of their injury. IMO, a creature's quality of life is relative to their understanding of life. To my knowledge, all such pets are still fully functional in every other aspect of life and appear to be quite happy into old age.
Research into pet birth control ? Sure I'd welcome that, and I suspect some work has/is already being done in this area. I've yet to read about practical, reliable results though.

When a pet reaches old age and appears to be suffering from organ failure, the loving owner has 3 options.
(1)Do nothing other than the usual care of years past and allow the animal to suffer slow.
(2)Take it to a vetinary clinic and demand that it be placed on drugs and life-support as we would do with grandma, but many clinics may refuse under the circumstances.
(3)Euthanasia.

Is (3) such a bad choice ? I can think of a few humans that would prefer it for themselves.

-
No 'mericans were harmed during the making of this post.

Two pets, sitting in a box on the back seat, heading for the vet.

One says, while looking at the inside of her cardboard box, "Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed."

The other replies "You will never be more lovely than you are now."

t

The message in that quote is that awareness of your future can facilitate a greater appreciation of your present, and it can be safely assumed that the benefits of this philosophy are largely moot if you only apply it 10 minutes before you die.

Assuming these two pets had the cognitive ability to understand these concepts, the words would still be true, for humans and animals alike.

Was there an alternate message that you were hoping to convey with that analogy ?

Well many conservative christians believe that animals do not have souls, so it doesn't matter.

Most conservative christians I know would say otherwise.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Most conservative christians I know would say otherwise.

Then how do they rationalize eating a burger?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

> Two pets, sitting in a box on the back seat, heading for the vet.

A dog in a car passes his pal Fido on his way to the vet. He yells out the window "Hey Fido! I'm going to the vet to get tutored! You were worried over nothing." (stolen from Gary Larson.)

Hi Tonto

I don't speak dog but after we've taken the pets to the vet to get "Fixed" the don't act like their pissed off.

We've had male & female dogs at the same time for the last 10 yr's. If we didn't do the mutilation thing we could have 100 (plus many more) dogs by now.

BTW FWIW the hounds (male and female) still exhibet sexual behavior (humping) even after castration. So i don't think castration is a solution for human sexual predator's.

We had to destroy a couple of our dogs because they were Large and mean and we were concerned about them hurting kids and grown ups. That's part of the responiabilty of being a dog owner.

We don't have any kids (our choice) however we do believe in the pro choice option for humans. Before and after.

Whats the Gov't line in SA for abortion and death with dignity for the terminaly ill?

R.I.P.

R.I.P.

I think pets would choose to be warm and safe and loved and fed and never having to worry about just surviving like strays have to, over keeping their reproductive abilities.

Personally, I'd never, ever get my cats declawed. I used to volunteer at a shelter, and I saw so very many kitties with major problems from infection to claws that have grown back twisted and mangled. It was a no-kill shelter, so the kitties received medical care and were rehomed, but seeing the damage declawing operations do to cats is heartbreaking.

In most cases, cats get declawed simply because the owner doesn't take the time to train the cat about where it is appropriate to scratch. If the cat can't be trained, there is always softpaws, which are little vinyl caps that glue over the claw so the cats can't scratch. They're easy for the owner to put on, and a groomer will do it for about $10. Much easier and cheaper than surgery. Surgery involves the feline equivalent of chopping your fingers off at the knuckle near the end of the finger.

"Pro choice" usually refers to abortion, which is considerably different than having a vasectomy or having your tubes tied (which would be more equivalent to having pets spayed or neutered).

I have my cats spayed or neutered, not for their own benefit, but for the benefit of the hundreds of offspring they might produce if I did not.

And I would never have my cats declawed...

Failing to neuter a pet can actually cause physical and psychological problems for the pet if not allowed to breed.

From a pamphlet in my vet's office (who will perform spay/neuter, but never declawing): "Forced abstinence should only be chosen as a short term solution. Intact tomcats are compelled by physiological changes to mate. Forcing them not to mate causes them undue stress and discomfort. The eggs of an intact female who is not permitted to mate, and therefore can not ovulate, become encysted in her ovaries, which may lead to cancerous tumours. Unlike declawing, any form of sterilization provides a net benefit for the feline species' and is therefore justifiable....

Ideal age for Female Spaying is 4-6 Months. Cats have a less than 1% chance of developing feline breast cancerif spayed before the first heat cycle. If spayed after one heat cycle, this risk increases to 8%, and after two heat cycles, to 26%. Spaying eliminates the risk of ovarian and uterine cancer.

Ideal age for Male Neutering is 4-6 months. Neutering eliminates the risk of testicular cancer and greatly reduces the risk of prostate cancer. It reduces the risk of perianal tumors and eliminates the risk of feline sexually transmitted diseases."

Neutering eliminates the risk of testicular cancer

And decapitation eliminates the risk of insanity and a host of other brain related maladies, but you don't see me putting pamphlets up promoting it.

Bottom line is it is the owner forcing the abstinance - and the mutilation.

There is birth control for ticks and fleas. (Frontline - applied to the base of the neck of the pet once a month.) Why no birth control for pets?

t

Thought I would bump this as some people are comparing "fixing" their cats to having their claws cut out, to circumsizing their children.

By the way, I've had the claws removed from my penis. It was painfull, but worth it.:D

t

If you were a pet... do you think that would be cool?

I dont know. Ask the cat who shot his owner.:)

Back on the topic. The vet fixed my female Akita for a variety of reasons. The major one being it was better for her health and we werent going to breed her. Putting my previous dog down because of uterine cancer was not fun.

We've had male & female dogs at the same time for the last 10 yr's. If we didn't do the mutilation thing we could have 100 (plus many more) dogs by now.

I think this is all a little bit extreme. What ever happened to sitting down and discussing safe sex and the proper use of condoms????

I think my neighbors dog is gay. I saw a condom hanging out of the his butt the other day. At least he's being safe about it....[:/]

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!