funks

Bush donates 10K to relief effort..PATHETIC

I may have said that, but it doesn't make him "PATHETIC", or an "asshole", or even make it really that worthy of note. I disagree with your original post.

Besides, many of the posting after mine have made me think perhaps I was a little harsh.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

Perhaps it is kind of comical to see bushs donation of 10K along side of Sandra Bullocks 1million, Gates foundations 3 million, NBA players contributions that will be hundreds of thousands,

The president officially only makes ~300 G a year. 10G is more then most will give. Pro ball players.... Jeter NY yankees makes 10 mill a year, and we haven't heard what he donated??? And unfortunately, yes these people must declare what they donate otherwise they will get screwed by tax law.

Now that I am thinking about it, the damn Yankee's (the "best" baseball team in history), why haven't they donated any money......... oh, right, they need it to buy another winning team...

back on path, the point should not be who can donate the most money, but what can we do to help. As president, he has ordered our armed forces to assist with supplies/rescue........that in itself is greater then any monitary amount one person can donate.
I just am................

Good point! Seems to me, we expect actors, actresses, athletes and the like to be 'well' paid and live extravagantly. We seem to be overly-impressed when they make a big 'splash' about some mind-boggling donation. Hey, they gave! They gave big because they can afford it. To me, you give what you can. If, you can only afford 1-dollar, great! It all adds-up. You gave! To slam someone because they didn't give an amount we feel they should, is silly. I believe, the president was only trying to be an example, not a show-boater. I agree with the idea that, the big press releases by the actors and NBA players is an ego thing. :S

Chuck

Well he gave 3%+ of his gross annual income.

If everyone in the western world followed that example, we would have a lot more than the few million we are getting from rich ball players/multi millionaire celebs who can afford to drop a mil here and there, that's for sure.

Again, i'm no Bush supporter.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Well he gave 3%+ of his gross annual income.

If everyone in the western world followed that example, we would have a lot more than the few million we are getting from rich ball players/multi millionaire celebs who can afford to drop a mil here and there, that's for sure.

Again, i'm no Bush supporter.

Annual income from the Feds is irrelevant for the heir to a fortune.

How would Jesus evaluate it? He was pretty down on rich folks who gave but a small fraction of their wealth.

I don't quite think that is fair....
Jesus would have appreciate every donation so long as it was done for the right reasons...

Jesus would have gone to help them, not stayed at home and send a little money. Since when does giving away money equate to someone truely caring and trying to help??

Second question, it was just a few years ago when the earthquake hit iran and killed tens of thousands, why weren't the actors/rich folk trying to outdue each other then???

Bush was more than willing to accept millions of dollars towards his campaign to further his own political career. Perhaps it would be a nice gesture to give a little more back (to people who actually need it to survive) the same way his supporters were willing to give to him.

Like i said earlier, i believe i donated more than he did when you compare are relative net worths. Yes, I agree that any contribution be it 1 dollar or 1 million speaks volumes. However, 10K coming from the president of the united states just doesnt seem to really show sincerity. Times that by 10 and i believe you are just starting to scratch the surface of a figure that someone with his wealth and public stature should have contributed

Well he's is public, yours isn't. It seems that you have set yourself up as judge and jury. "He" could give more but "I" gave all that I could.

Are you sure you gave the "right" amount?

I don't quite think that is fair....
Jesus would have appreciate every donation so long as it was done for the right reasons...

Jesus would have gone to help them, not stayed at home and send a little money. Since when does giving away money equate to someone truely caring and trying to help??

Second question, it was just a few years ago when the earthquake hit iran and killed tens of thousands, why weren't the actors/rich folk trying to outdue each other then???

Third question-how many "mega-stars" lined up to help after 3 hurricanes hit Florida this summer??? Or when any other major storm event hits in America?
For my part, I know nothing with any certainty,
But the sight of the stars makes me dream.
-Vincent Van Gogh

How much have you donated?

Mark 12:

41Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins,[a]worth only a fraction of a penny.
43Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything–all she had to live on.”

I was referring to the President, and it is a bit difficult for him to leave and "Go help out";)

In person he did not go, but he did send in the marines and navy.

And personally, I'd rather be the person on that beach seeing the marines land with food/water/building materials, and not GW walking up and saying "ahhh, what can I do?"

Bush was more than willing to accept millions of dollars towards his campaign to further his own political career. Perhaps it would be a nice gesture to give a little more back (to people who actually need it to survive) the same way his supporters were willing to give to him.

Then Kerry should send the rather large amount of funds he got also...It did not do him any good...

BTW what did Sorros send in aid?
How about Moore?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

His supporters gave to a campaign to elect him because they believed it was right for this country, this is not about people giving money for Bush. I wouldn't send Bush a dime to put in his account, but if I was a U.S. Citizen I might cut his campaign a check. I would also expect him to spend that check for the intended purpose of the pledge.

Then Kerry should send the rather large amount of funds he got also...It did not do him any good...

How about Moore?

I couldnt care less what they sent or what Kerry sent. Bush is the president. Lead by example. Bottom line is he has millions of dollars of personal wealth at his disposal. Forget the moral issue here of donating or not donating, do you honestly truly believe that a 10K donation is a positve reflection of his compassion?

How about Moore?

It's not about Kerry or Sorros or Moore. It's about Bush, the President, the Bully Pulpit, the leader of our nation and the example he sets for the country, the "values" guy, the self-proclaimed Christian.

It's pretty bad seeing this used as an excuse for partisans to attack Bush over a signficant personal contribution when measured against his earnings.

In a year we'll be hearing the same voices complain over his low rate of tax after he deducts his numerous charitable contributions from his earnings.

Bush is the president. Lead by example. Bottom line is he has millions of dollars of personal wealth at his disposal. Forget the moral issue here of donating or not donating, do you honestly truly believe that a 10K donation is a positve reflection of his compassion?

The President makes 300k (I was told 250K but he might have gotten a raise so we will use 300K)

He sent 10k from his own pocket. Thats 3% of his personal income. He already gives over 11% a year based on his last tax returns.

So he did lead by example. He sent in 3% of his yearly salary. I bet thats more than most.

You guys look for any reason to slam Bush.

Like I said where is "The man of the People" Kerry?
Where is "President of the Decade" Clinton?
Where is the "Biggest Bitch about everyone else" Moore?

He gave 3% of his salary. Thats more than most to include the stars.

Did you give 3% of your salary? I didn't.

I find it sad the lengths you guys will go to try and slam Bush.

If he had given 300K you would have bitched about that not being enough.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

My only gripe, really is why he(?) would publicise the amount - it's No One elses business but his.

Sorry mate maybe you missed my point... I wouldn't expect him or anyone else to publicise how much was given.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

It's not about Kerry or Sorros or Moore. It's about Bush, the President, the Bully Pulpit, the leader of our nation and the example he sets for the country, the "values" guy, the self-proclaimed Christian.

It seems to me that its more about your hatred of him more than anything else.

Did you give more than 3% of your yearly income?

I did not.

Ron, I now know that you and many others on this board are willing to accept the fact that the most powerful man in the world gave 10K to help with the largest most destructive natural disaster we have all ever seen and will probably see in our lifetime.

Kudos to you.

btw - Bush's donation was less than what he personally spent on flowers for events. Boy, if that isnt compassion i dont know what is.

http://www.opensecrets.org/presidential/expend.asp?id=N00008072&cycle=2004

Ron, I now know that you and many others on this board are willing to accept the fact that the most powerful man in the world gave 10K to help with the largest most destructive natural disaster we have all ever seen and will probably see in our lifetime.

Did you give 3% of your salary?