JohnRich

Gun Accidents

No, you should have driven away. A truck is a far better defensive weapon than a gun

Thanks arm-chair quarterback. I'm glad you were there to tell me exactly what to do, since you were there and know exactly what happened as it happened.

I would like you to come visit me in Texas, I'll take you to the scene and I'll let you walk me through exactly what I should have done, with the layout of the area (since you obviously know the layout and know for a fact that driving off was the best choice).

Good job Bill.

Do you also condem instructors who had to, lets say, dump the drogue to save a sidespin, if you didn't see video or weren't on the jump?

Good job Bill, glad to see that you're obviously the expert on everything and know exactly how to react, after the fact of course. Thanks and Gig'em.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

In Reply To
Hitting stationary targets with a relatively low level of adrenaline is not the same as pointing a gun a another person, who is probably moving, and is believed to have hostile intentions, its gonna be a bit toughr to remember those fundamentals without extensive training of some sort, such that might provide the muscle memory or clarity of mind to deal with the situation.

sure, more than 15 minutes of training might be in order. But the person said the mere use of a handgun was extremely hard.

fair enough
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Yes, machine guns are easier.

Hell, an Uzi handles like a dream blowing through a magazine. So light on the recoil...

Any idiot can use it, point near target, pull trigger till you hear click.;)

That's the thing with "odds" - they're never a guarantee. Of course there are exceptions. Fortunately they're few and far between. If being told that you're an exception is an insult, then you've got issues.

Normal people (cops and soliders excepted, of course) who need to defend themselves with guns either a: look for the opportunity b: have very bad luck, or c: need to re-adjust their lifestyle. This country just isn't that dangerous.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I don't know about Bill but you got me about conviced to stay the Hell out of Texas.

"America is a country where you do not need to justify owning a gun. Don't try" -AndyMan
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Do I live in fear? Nope. Do I worry about the love of my life when I'm not around, of course I do, I love her. Do I want to give her the best tools to protect herself in the house? Damn straight

On one hand it's great that your Wife has the means and knowledge to protect herself should she ever need to. I just hope you don't have HER living in fear because of your desire to have everyone armed and ready.

I am not insituating that you are either. I don't know you or your Wife
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Nonsens. For a beginner, it is extremely hard to use a gun, even hand gun of every kind.. I do not know what you use. Perhaps it's easier to use a machine gun.....

While it's not all that easy to hit a target when your blood is pumping, it really isn't that difficult to point and pull. The idea is simple, the execution can take years to perfect. But who said you need to be perfect to save your own life?

However, I have to agree that a long gun can be a better choice for self defense in the home. Personally, I like a side by side shotgun, 18 inch barrels- no springs to rely on, no simpler gun exists (except a single barrel breech loader).

What's about the backstroke? Any untrained gun owner at first will have a lot of blue marks in his face, shoulder....
That will knock him out.

I think you're talking about recoil, the jump of the gun after it is fired.

I have to tell you, I've never seen anyone get hit in the face or the shoulder with a handgun. Most new shooters say they expected more recoil.

Now, I'll admit I suffered slidebite when I learned to shoot leftie, but that was my own fault, and never "knocked me out," figuratively or literally.

If you're talking about shooting a long gun, yes some recoil harder than others, but with your blood pumping I doubt you'd even feel the recoil. My last session at the range (shotgun) I was very nervous, and recoil didn't bother me at all until I was sitting down hours later.

I would not like to meet someone untrained like that carrying a loaded weapon in his hands

Well, since the only time someone that untrained would hold the gun is for self defense, I wouldn't want to be in the area either, since the only other person likely to be near him is his target.

However, I wouldn't tell somone who can't afford thousands in training that just because he's only had a few ranges sessions that he is not qualified to defend hearth and home. It's his choice ot accept all the risks and benefits, or not.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I just hope you don't have HER living in fear because of your desire to have everyone armed and ready.

She's not, she's having fun learning how to shoot. She actually pushed me to buy the shotgun yesterday, although it was on sale (gun shop going out of business) I didn't really want to spend the money quite yet.

Come to think of it, she was helping me make my decision for the weapon purchase time before last as well. I think she just really enjoys firearms and shooting. When we got up this morning she was nagging me about when we'll get to go to the range and try out the new shotgun.

So sure, if you think I've scared her, then think that, but since you don't know me or her...have fun in your own little fantisy world.

So sure, if you think I've scared her, then think that, but since you don't know me or her...have fun in your own little fantisy world.

With an attitude like that no wonder your need to surround yourself with guns. I never said I thought, I said I hope and clearly stated that I was not implying you were(scaring her). So go fuck yourself.

What she get. 870, Nova?

You said both things in your post. You stated that, then went "oh but I don't really mean that" so I went ahead and replied to what was directed at me and not the sweet counter talk bullshit after that.

*shrug* whatever.

Continue on in your own little world, that's fine by me.

Here is what I said. Have your Wife help if you need.

On one hand it's great that your Wife has the means and knowledge to protect herself should she ever need to. I just hope you don't have HER living in fear because of your desire to have everyone armed and ready.

I am not insituating that you are either. I don't know you or your Wife

I said HOPE. I had on image of you putting your Wife in the bathroom floor and running practice drills for your satisfaction. Hell your comments alone on this board are enough to scare some people in other countries from thinking it is safe over here.

Man, I guess I'm really getting under your skin, huh?

That must suck.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I had on image of you putting your Wife in the bathroom floor and running practice drills for your satisfaction.

Actually, I just had Morgan (my soon to be wife) read this post and she's laughing at it. She also thinks that's a funny image.

Hell your comments alone on this board are enough to scare some people in other countries from thinking it is safe over here.

What makes you think it is safe? Go look up the numbers for the crime rates across the nation and tell me its safe.

Fine

just continue to think I tried to insult you? I don't know you anyway.

So anyway -what did you get her for a shotgun? I'm guessing an 870 express or a Nova.

Fine

just continue to think I tried to insult you?

Nope, I never thought you inslted me, even thought you told me to "fuck off."

I guess you can't see that a large majority of the time I come into SC to stir shit up. I'm not as out there as some of the posters, so its easy for me to do. So I was getting a huge kick out of all of this.

Nope, nothing that fancy, just a plain and simple Mossberg.

500® Pump Action Persuader, 6 round chamber and a pistol grip.

It's gonna be fun to shoot at the range occasionally, its not for hunting by any stretch of the imagination, but its not designed for hunting. Its still gonna be fun to shoot at the range though.

Is it usual in the US to lock yourself into your bedroom at night?

Hell, I don't know. I don't go hanging around other people's bedrooms, I'm sure there's someone on this site that will have an expert opinion on way or the other, though.

Most doors inside the house are infact interior doors. That doesn't actually stop anyone from entering, its just a warning device. If someone comes through the door, they're not supposed to be.

But I don't sleep with a gun or two under my pillow either

Good for you, that's a quick way to shoot yourself actually.

So its nice to see you're doing something to help with the actual title of the thread, Gun Accidents.

My bedroom doesn't have a door, never mind a lock.

I frequently forget to lock the front door. I live in downtown Chicago.

Now now...let's not post too much about our bedroom habits, dear. ;)

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Is it usual in the US to lock yourself into your bedroom at night?

Hell we seldom lock our exterior doors at my house, but then again we don't live in Texas.