CanuckInUSA

Evolution versus Creation

Show the Creationsits a fossil series A to B to C and they will ask, 'what came between A and B? What came between B and C? Genesis is much more comforting. Believing, as many people do, that every word (or nearly every word) of the Bible is the literal word of God gives those believers a great deal of personal peace and joy.

There are a lot of ways in which people can get FALSE "peace and joy" in life.

People buy a house in a gated community and believe crime will never touch them.

People think cops will always swoop in and rescue them if a violent criminal ever confronts them.

People think that their airbag will save them in a car crash -- even to the point that they forgo wearing their seatbelts! Just because they believe the airbag will save them, and take comfort from that, does not lend any truth to the idea of it.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I have kids in the Cobb County, GA schools and have an interest in this matter. But I think the current debate misses a more important point: Why is this issue assigned such inordinate priority?

The best way to deal with the origin-of-life issue is to divide a textbook page in half, with a paragraph or two detailing the differing theories, then move on to more important matters. What justification is there for taking up so much classroom time on this topic?

Perhaps this case could eventually move to the Supreme Court, after Bush replaces retiring liberal justices with some sensible folks who actually believe their role is to interpret the Constitution rather than impose their beliefs on the country. Then the whole "separation-of-church-and-state" myth can be exposed for the vacuous piece of fiction it always has been.

The government is under no obligation to support any idea that comes along simply because it contradicts the views of the Church. The schools are under no legal obligation to censor a piece of information simply because it might happen to agree with the Bible.

The people who would impose one viewpoint while silencing the other are the irrational extremist fanatics, regardless of whether they believe, on faith, that 1) In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth, or 2) Everything was created, by nobody, from nothing. Both views are "religious."

Cheers,
Jon

IMO
Evolutionism is a theory that follows the scientific method. One of the requirements for being a cientific theory is that somehow that theory can be proven wrong. If one day someone finds a 5 million years old human fossil with the same caracteristics of the humans nowadays we will ditch or at least doubt evolutionism because we have found an example that doesn´t aply. However all the fossils found so far has ape like characteristics that reinforce evolutionist theories.
However with creationism there is no way to prove it wrong, therefore it is not a cientific theory. It doesn´t follow the cientific method. But also, you cannot prove it right so it is a theory based on faith, not on evidence.

Since those stickers are in a science book, the disclaimer should be something like creationism is not a scientific theory but a theory based on faith with no evidence.

So that maybe a conservative book should have
"some people believe that the earth evolved .... and here's the evidence"
"some people believe that God created the world in 7 days a little under 7000 years ago"
"some people believe that Allah created the world in 7 days a little under 7000 years ago"
"some people believe that God created the world in more than 7 days more than 7000 years ago"
"some people believe that God created evolution"
"some people believe that the earth started when the Great Spirit xxx"
"some people believe that the earth started with Vishnu xxx"
"some people believe that the earth started when xxx"

That's supposed to help -- how? Or should the supreme court or textbook authorities pick which religious version appears in their book.

Then there's the whole "evidence" thing. There are mounds of it supporting the theory of evolution (even though there are holes). And yes, if a 5,000,000 year old modern man skeleton were to be found, it would set the theory of evolution on its ears, and we'd read all about it in the newspapers. Many physicists believe in black holes, even though we're unlikely to actually touch one :P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

IMO
Evolutionism is a theory that follows the scientific method. One of the requirements for being a cientific theory is that somehow that theory can be proven wrong...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Actually, for something to be established as a scientific fact is must be predictable, observable, and repeatable. Evolution fails to meet these standards.

There is no contradiction between science and Christianity. Many scientists are Christians, and many are creationists. To claim that fundamentalist religious faith impairs one's ability to intelligently evaluate information, scientific or otherwise, is to expose one's own bigotry.

While the vast majority of Christians do not believe that the earth is only 7000-ish years old, this belief is no more irrational than the belief that complex life forms evolved from a mud puddle.

Cheers,
Jon

While the vast majority of Christians do not believe that the earth is only 7000-ish years old, this belief is no more irrational than the belief that complex life forms evolved from a mud puddle

Even when there's scientific and biological basis for one, and absolute proof against the other?
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

"You ever noticed how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved? Ya ever noticed that? Eyes real close together, eyebrow ridges, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day" Yeah, looks liked He rushed it."
Bill Hicks

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

While the vast majority of Christians do not believe that the earth is only 7000-ish years old, this belief is no more irrational than the belief that complex life forms evolved from a mud puddle

Even when there's scientific and biological basis for one, and absolute proof against the other?

There is no proof, "scientific" or otherwise, that the evolution theory is true. Much of the "evidence" has long been discredited.

There is no proof that creationism is a fact. There is some evidence, but it is difficult to explain without being accused of "preaching" or "ramming religion down my throat."

We're left with two competing theories, neither of which can be proven. In a classroom setting, why would you NOT want your kids exposed to both? The schools should not be in the business of trying to persuade them to accept one or the other.

Cheers,
Jon

There is some evidence

Oh please tell us your evidence. No let me guess, it's written in that book of yours. That book that was written by humans thousands and thousands of years ago is FACT? LOL ... that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

There is no proof, "scientific" or otherwise, that the evolution theory is true. Much of the "evidence" has long been discredited.

Can you provide some examples of this?

There is no proof that creationism is a fact. There is some evidence, but it is difficult to explain without being accused of "preaching" or "ramming religion down my throat."

Can you provide any scientific evidence that supports Creationism?

We're left with two competing theories, neither of which can be proven. In a classroom setting, why would you NOT want your kids exposed to both? The schools should not be in the business of trying to persuade them to accept one or the other.

Cheers,
Jon

Creationism doesn't meet the definition of a scientific theory. It's doctrine or faith, but not a theory.

I like the idea of warning stickers on Bibles:

"Warning - these are stories written by neolithic peoples who had no understanding of science, the scientific method, or the underlying causes of any natural phenomena, and who had no analytical tools to help them identify cause and effect. These are ONLY stories."

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

But, say humans came from apes who came from dogs who came from dolphins is about as proovable as string theories 12 dimensions!!!! or was it 13? hmmm

Woah, you really don't understand Darwin, do you?

Actually I do, but I am not here to write book on neither natural selection nor evolution. My statement was that interspecies evolution has not been known to be possible.... hell even darwin would agree with me on that.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

you have issues with the definitions of proof and evidence if you believe that... fortunately belief has nothing to do with the scientific method....

it is simple ignorance to give creationism the same validity as evolution.. anyone who does illustrates they have no understanding of science, the scientific method or the definition of 'theory' either....

evolution is a theory
creationism is a belief

teaching children they are equally valid perpetuates that ignorance...

There is no proof that creationism is a fact. There is some evidence.

There is proof (or evidence, which is what I meant) the evolution exists.

There is no proof in creationism, not a bit, not even a little. And almost every single piece of 'information' that exists is laughable. IMHO.

I was actually refering to the fact that there is undeniable, cast in stone(sic) proof that the earth existed several million years ago, not just 7 thousand.

Creationism only exists because we as a race have an inherent need to believe in something. If believing that some dude made the earth and is all powerful, ever watching, makes you a better person, then excellent, carry on, believe away.

Religion caused (and still causes) more hatred, war, pain and suffering than oil/money/land/potatoes ever did.

Me?

I believe a unqiue biological process created me, and every single one of my ancestors, right back to that mud pool with great (x10 to the power of a gizillion) uncle single cell organism.

When I die, thats it.

The aim is to just have as much fun as we can, in the time between birth and death. Being nice to people along the way should help.

Just as a side note, if there was someone who grew up exposed to neither argument (in a sealed enviroment maybe;)), who was blessed with medium intelligence and common sense. If you showed him both arguments, the evidence of both, which would he choose?

Lee
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

Actually, for something to be established as a scientific fact is must be predictable, observable, and repeatable. Evolution fails to meet these standards.

Evolutionist theory include a part of randomness when talking about mutations, so considering that randomness and the length of the process (millions of years) it is hardly predictable or repeatable but it doesn´t invalidate the theory. However it is observable in some comunities of birth that belonging to the same families along the years have evolved diferently due to a different habitat. That is why it is a cientific theory and not a scientific fact.

I would like to see how creationism meets any of those requirements and if not, why it doesn´t.

This pains me to say because I’ve argued the Creationist side of this issue concerning whether Creationism should be taught alongside Evolution in a science class. However, I think I must now agree with the view expressed by Billvon in an earlier thread where this topic was also brought up. The information with scientific basis lies with Evolution and not with Creationism. It is the best information we have to date. That doesn’t mean that Evolution should be taught as fact or that Creationism has no basis (just not scientific). I am a Creationist but I do not discount all of the possibilities within Evolution. I have no problem with a disclaimer being included in a science book explaining that it is theory and not fact and for the student to approach it with an open and critical mind. I do not agree with taking Evolution out of the textbooks as some had suggested. I do think that Creationism should at least be mentioned, though, in order for the student to keep what he/she will learn in perspective.

I would be very interested in hearing what it is; and rest assured that I will not accuse you of "preaching" or "ramming religion down my throat"... I am genuinely open-minded and interested on your (and whomever else's may wish to contribute) take on this.
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

I am a Creationist but I do not discount all of the possibilities within Evolution.

I don't want to call either evolution or creation as fact, but the scientific evidence does lean towards evolution. As an agnostic, I can't rule out the possibility that a creator (commonly referred to as God) started it all and possibly guided evolution to where it is today. But that is beyond my comprehension.

I have no problem with a disclaimer being included in a science book explaining that it is theory and not fact and for the student to approach it with an open and critical mind.

Evolution is a theory and having people approach things with open minds is good.

I do think that Creationism should at least be mentioned, though, in order for the student to keep what he/she will learn in perspective.

We differ here if you think this disclaimer needs to be mentioned in science class. The students brought up with Christianity will already be aware of how their faith of creation differs from the theory of evolution.

This pains me to say

We're obviously on different sides of the fence (I have tried Christianity, but it didn't work for me), but I have a new-found respect for you to say this. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

[reply}I was actually refering to the fact that there is undeniable, cast in stone(sic) proof that the earth existed several million years ago, not just 7 thousand.

4.55 billion years is the current accepted age of the Earth (I've even measured this myself B|)

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

There is some evidence

Oh please tell us your evidence. No let me guess, it's written in that book of yours. That book that was written by humans thousands and thousands of years ago is FACT? LOL ... that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. :S

That's the evidence. That book was written by God, so it must be true. Burn in hell, heathen!
This ad space for sale.

I do think that Creationism should at least be mentioned, though, in order for the student to keep what he/she will learn in perspective.

If we'regoing to mention Creationisn, I don't think we should just stop there. I mean, there's other religions, and other evidence, right? We should also povide the other options from other religions:

for example,
Mother Earth, Gaea, produced a son, Uranus, who was the sky. Then they had children. The marriage between them, a mother and her son, wasn't seen as inappropriate, two of their children and two of their grandchildren would also marry each other. Gods could do that, while it was strictly forbidden for humans. Rain fell from the sky onto the Earth, making plants grow; animals appeared from the rivers and ocean. (Greek mythology)

Oh that's right, we alrady teach this, it's in ENGLISH and WORLD RELIGIONS, not SCIENCE.
This ad space for sale.

It takes a strong person to open up their core beliefs to evaluation. Its too bad we don't see it more often.

My beliefs are firm and this doesn't affect them. I was merely conceding that it probably shouldn't be taught in science class. However, neither should Evolution be taught as fact. But thanks! :)

when I was in high school, we studied various religions in world history class. When we were studying the area where Judaism sprung up, we studied the religion and culture of the region as well, including the Jewish creation myth, Ditto with India, China, the US, Hawaii, Greece and Rome, Egypt, etc... The Jewish/Christian creation myth was put right where it belonged...in the midst of other theories with exactly the same amount of proof.

Creationism's basis is in religion and the history of the people, not in science. Students were exposed to the Jewish/Christian creation myth, along with a good chunk of other creation myths, as well as the theory of evolution (in science class), which, as I said above, was definitely not presented as a fact, but in its appropriate scientific context.