CanuckInUSA

Evolution versus Creation

What really matters in our lives is not where did I come from, but what do I do now. I consider myself God-fearing and read and try to understand the bible, but at the same time, I am a scientist with a good basic understanding of physics and paleontology. I can sit around and argue with the best on both sides but in the end: Does it matter 1 iota?
Crackers are going to want to protect their belief system, and WTF is a label any way. Others believe that God is about as real as the Easter Bunny and that believers are responible for all the pain in the world.
Sorry I touched a nerve but my point was: What do we do now?

Why do you fear God?

favaks

Why do you fear God?

Because the Bibles says to fear god and we all know that the Bible is the absolute word of God to be taken literally.:P

"The LORD Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, He is the one you are to dread," (Isaiah 8:13)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Fear in the biblical sense means reverence or deep respect for.

This could be considered an interpretation of what the word fear means, but per my last post, "The LORD Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, He is the one you are to dread," (Isaiah 8:13)

How would one interpret "dread"
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Side question Paj - are you losing weight? Your avatar looks suspiciously skinny lately.

That was at a party that General Rashid Dostom (most powerful warlord in the North of Afghanistan) threw for my team. I had lost some weight at that time because I stayed sick a lot. About 5 months into the deployment. I had to take cipro about every week or so to kill the paracites. It was rough. We clorinated our own water but it wasn't enough. Every meeting we ever had with a General, subcommander, on down entailed drinking tea and sometimes dining with them. You had to do it but it was rough on our weak American systems used to the good life back here. I was always a lightweight, though. I've never weighed more than I do now (~168lbs). The picture was taken in 2002. I'm better looking now! B| By the way, I have no idea how I got from the party hall where that picture was taken back to Dostom's hotel. It was a good night! B|

How would one interpret "dread"

I'd interpret it as "dread" for those who oppose God.

The word fear in Hebrew has a much broader meaning than we have in English. In English, it has a negative connotation. In Hebrew, however, it can encompass both the full range of the negative and positive (i.e. dread, terror, worship, reverence, respect, and awe). The power that created the universe deserves all of these.

New International Version
“The Lord Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread, and he will be a sanctuary, but for both houses of Israel he will be a stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall. And for the people of Jerusalem he will be a trap and a snare.”
Isaiah 8:13-14 (Prophesy concerning Jesus?)

NIV Study Bible: “In times of danger and trial, God alone is the one whom we must fear and look to for our deliverance. Through a proper reverence and love for him, he will be present with us and be our sanctuary and protection.”

In reference to fear and dread, those are appropriate too. Judgment will come to all sooner or later. That could be extremely good or extremely bad. I’d be afraid of the extremely bad possibility.

Furthermore, the theory of evolution is itself based on a religious idea. By censoring the other side, you are imposing the religion of secular humanism.

NO. it is not.. this fallacy is continually spewed by Creationists with NO understanding of science... however their obtuse ignorance does not make it true, no matter how often it is repeated..

no one is censoring anyone.. Science should be taught in Science class, Religion and Philosophy in their own realm...when Creationists can provide solid demonstratable evidence to back their belief and elevate it beyond "I believe this" THEN it can be taught side by side with science... until then it is nothing more than a simple fiction you chose to believe is true...

there isnt any issue with reconciling your belief in a Creator with the theory of Evolution.. even Divinity might find it useful to employ tools, particularly tools that allow for continual growth……... it does however reveal the book of Genesis (like all creation myths) for the cultural fiction it really is...

which isnt a problem unless your religion happens to be founded on that tale and continually asserts sole 'Truth and Provedence' based on it and its accompanied texts as "the Undiluted Word" of said Creator......:S

The evolution of Humans is not a fact is it.

When was the last time you used your appendix?

Blues,
Dave

About the same time i used my left nipple.

------------------

The "Creator" must have had a box of appendices left over from creating rabbits, and some leftover nipples from making girls, so being frugal, She used them up on us guys.

I wonder if Adam had nipples.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The following are just Theories!!!

The earth revolves around the Sun.
Continental Drift
Electricity consisting of electrons
Atoms

National geographic has a current issue with a great story on it.

Do you typically just pop in, throw zingers around, with nothing really intelligent of your own to add, and leave? I notice the attempt at insulting my intelligence. I’ll entertain your thought anyway. You can measure and show that the phenomenon you mentioned exists or occur. That is not the case with Evolution. You can, as Bill mentioned, show that animals adapt to their environments and some pass those adaptations to their offspring (i.e. Micro-evolution). You, however, cannot prove conclusively that there is connectivity amongst species or that there are regressive common links (i.e. Macro-evolution). It is a theory. There is absolutely no evidence to prove that species adapt to a point where they become a new species. Evolution does not need to be presented in its entirety as fact to children. It may be the basis of all we know now but it doesn't make all of it true. There are pieces to the puzzle that we probably will never have. I’m not saying that it doesn’t need to be presented. It does. Like I said, it’s the best information we have to date. However, it needs to be presented appropriately.