spidermonky

Gun Question (Transporting w/o CCW)

I don't have a concealed carry weapon permit and I've wondered about the legality of driving with it in my car. Is there anything I should know when driving to the range and home again? I keep it in a hard case and unloaded. Would it matter if it were loaded? (I live in Tennessee)
What if it was loaded and concealed in my car during a roadtrip (TN to CA)?
Anyone know the laws when it comes to this? Does it vary in each state?

Thanks

Changes from state to state for sure, maybe county to county, city to city. In AZ it may be concealed in the vehicle loaded as long as it is properly holstered. I believe in California you would go to Jail for this. (not sure though)
James

I don't have a concealed carry weapon permit and I've wondered about the legality of driving with it in my car. Is there anything I should know when driving to the range and home again? I keep it in a hard case and unloaded. Would it matter if it were loaded? (I live in Tennessee)

Thanks

It does vary but most do follow a theme. In Iowa, the hand gun must be in a case that is too large to hide. The case does not have to be lockable but it does help if you happen to get stopped. The ammunition is to be in the trunk or someplace on the vehicle where it can not be accessed. That said, Check with your local sheriff.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

http://www.packing.org/

That's a good place to start. Go to the state you're interested in crossing and see what they say about "peacable journey" laws. Write the states' attorney generals as well.

Your best bet is keeping it locked away, ammunition locked seperately also out of reach.

Some states require that it be in plain view.

Some other states, well, you just can't win.

Most have some sort of law allowing one form of transprt or other but only directly to range, or training, or whatever, but not all of them extend it to interstate travellers.

Yes, in some states you simply can't win. You have to educate yourself and decide what you can live with.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Hi SM

Assuming your not concerned about needing your stuff right away. How about disassembling what you got into pieces and puting them pieces in different locations in your car while transporting.

I'm not a lawyer but imo your just transporting gun parts, and ammo. A added benifit is if/when someone breaks into. or steals your car all they got is a car with a bunch of gun parts.

Hmmm might be no law about carrying a critical part in your pocket. Slide, or whatever.

If you know your going to need it assembled deal with the law later it will be the least of your problems. I don't think Mr Mcveigh was executed for carrying a conceled weapon, just arrested.

R.I.P.

BTW: Going to Canada leave everything at home. Unless you want to try body cavities.

Thanks

Last I heard, without a CCW in TN you should have the handgun in plain sight unloaded with the ammunition out of reach. I wouldn't take it to California though.
Get your TN CCW and there's many states with reciprocity TN.
Here's a good website to check out.

http://www.legallyarmed.com/

Tennesse and Florida permits get the most bang for the buck.

The trade off is that TN covers South Carolina while FL doesn't, and FL covers Pennsylvania while TN doesn't.

Tennesse is less expensive to renew, but Florida lasts longer.

Also, Tennesse is recognize by a lot of states, but has reciprocity with a much lower number (it only goes one way for them).

http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/tennessee

http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/florida
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

For all the flack California gets on their gun laws, I was pulled over on I-15, just north of LA, with my pistol in the car, and I didn't have a problem. The California Highway Patrol officer was already pissed at me for not pulling over right away--He didn't have a roof mounted light, and the flashing light inside his windshield didn't catch my attention right away. He approached the car from the passenger side, opened the passenger side door, and told me to step out of the car. He asked to look at my eyes and then asked if I had any marijuana or methamphetamines in the car. I said no. He asked me if I had any firearms. I told him I had a pistol locked in the back. He asked what kind (a Colt 1911 .45 ACP) and then asked, "What do you mean it's locked? Is it in a gun case?" I told him it was. He asked what kind of ammunition I had for it. I told him I had Safety Slugs. He asked if I meant "wad cutters." I said yes. He then wrote me a ticket for speeding and told me to be more observant when I'm driving. No car search. No felony conviction. No jail sentence. I'm sure there are people out there who've had experiences to the contrary, but I was pleasantly surprised with the officer's handling of the situation.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

second hand info" local cop pulled over a guy and saw the CWP when the driver got the drivers liscense out of wallet. Driver was spread eagled on side of road until the police officer was able to verify his personal safety.

News report: police stop car with family inside . Pet dog leave car and killed by shot gun blast. Dog was a nice dog. Police officer had to make a quick decision. Family was devasted by loss of gental friendly family pet that was mistaken for pit bull.

Police have a tough job and have to deal with all types of people. I'd rather minimize my contact with the police so there aren't any mistakes.

R.I.P.

http://www.packing.org/

Your best bet is keeping it locked away, ammunition locked seperately also out of reach.

Some states require that it be in plain view.

Some other states, well, you just can't win.

Most have some sort of law allowing one form of transprt or other but only directly to range, or training, or whatever, but not all of them extend it to interstate travellers.

Yes, in some states you simply can't win. You have to educate yourself and decide what you can live with.

I would check into the Firearms Owners Protection Act passed under Reagan in 1986. I don't know details of it, but as I understand it part of what the act did was protect those traveling interstate with guns, for the specific reason that all of these bullshit and contradictory laws have the potential to criminally ensnare those who are not doing anything criminally aggressive. Simply peacefully traveling from one place where you are allowed to have a gun to another where you are allowed to have it should NOT be a criminal act.

I also recommend that, should it ever come to be proposed, that you vote against anyone who says that guns should be equipped with electronics of any kind, specifically RFID chips that would enable cops to "scan" your vehicle for guns. That would just cause unnecessary trouble for legal gun owners.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

18 USC 926A
Interstate Transportation of Firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

witty subliminal message
1*

I would check into the Firearms Owners Protection Act passed under Reagan in 1986. I don't know details of it, but as I understand it part of what the act did was protect those traveling interstate with guns...

Details here, from the NRA: Guide to the interstate transportation of firearms.

The only problem with this is that the gun has to be unloaded and out of reach, so it's useless for self-defense while traveling...

You must be defenseless to make Big Brother happy. Big Brother prefers to give the criminals the upper hand.

You can also go here to check out the gun laws of individual states through which you will travel. Some states allow a loaded gun in your car, while others do not. So do your homework, and stop at each state border as necessary to change the condition of your gun to keep yourself legal.