Daizey

College students are ignorant-they have no business being out and voting

There have been 3 bills put up. One by dems, one by republicans, and one co-sponsored by both with different wording. There were a couple threads on here a few weeks back specifically about the draft and I linked to all three of them on the congressional website.

The draft is an independent politician issue. There are representatives on both sides both for it and against it.

What amazes me is that here everyone is trying to get college students out to vote...and then once they do go out, they get treated like they have no place being there....

That's because most college students are uneducated and collect their entire political mindset from Michael Moore (whose fictional films are notoriously filled with lies) and MTV (you know the ones who spewed ads all over the place telling everyone Bush was going to draft them and send them away to die before they finish college).

I've seen a lot of these college kids. Trust me, it's better that most of these people do not vote until they educate themselves completely.

Forty-two

Interestingly, I heard something on the radio this morning that was disturbing.

A 19-year-old college student in Maryland was being interviewed, and he stated he voted for Kerry because he didn't want to be drafted.

If it wasn't such a sad indicator of naivete and downright ignorance of the masses, I think that would have been gut-busting hilarious.

Sounds reasonable.

Bush 43 premptively invaded one middle-eastern country which posed little threat to us. There are other countries which pose a bigger threat like Iran actually has uranium enrichment facilities. Invading them would be consistant.

We're in Afganastan. We're in Iraq. Iran is between the two.

An Iranian invasion is probable.

Can we and will we fight a war on more than two fronts with an all volunteer force?

The sad thing is that he probably got his ideas from sound-bite attack pieces like most other Americans (Democrat and Republican).

Sorry Kev, I cannot find a republican-sponsored or cosponsored draft bill on the congressional website. Can you point me in the right direction?

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Texas A&M University had its own polling place today and has had it in previous elections.

Student volunteers help run it and the University incourages student turn out.

You know, with the last election I drove to my home town to vote instead of absentee voting (which I did this year) and everyone at the location was incredibly supportive of me being a college student and voting. Quite a few were asking me how TAMU was and how school was going, etc. Then again, this was in my small-ish hometown of Sherman, Texas...soooo, YMMV.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What amazes me is that here everyone is trying to get college students out to vote...and then once they do go out, they get treated like they have no place being there....

That's because most college students are uneducated and collect their entire political mindset from Michael Moore (whose fictional films are notoriously filled with lies) and MTV (you know the ones who spewed ads all over the place telling everyone Bush was going to draft them and send them away to die before they finish college).

I've seen a lot of these college kids. Trust me, it's better that most of these people do not vote until they educate themselves completely.

But it is better for the college kids who get their entire political mindset from Bush's bullshit to go out and vote, right?

I'm sorry but I find a lot of college students to be a lot more educated than many of the adults out there....At least they open their minds up and seek knowledge rather than sticking to one idea. I also find it funny that people say that college students are uneducated...believe it or not, in addition to partying at college some of us actually do learn something.

The attitude presented here is exactly the attitude I got today. Its narrowminded and sterotypical. Yes there are things like Michael Moore and MTV to sway our minds to think one way, but there are also history classes, government classes, and tons of outside committees that provided election info all over school that can help sway students minds as well. I think if anything students have the oppurtunity to be much more informed than the vast majoity of people out there.

*daizey*

Sorry Kev, I cannot find a republican-sponsored or cosponsored draft bill on the congressional website. Can you point me in the right direction?

H.R. 3598, The Universal Military Training and Service Act of 2001, introduced by Republicans Smith of Michigan and Weldon of Pennsylvania on December 28, 2001 and later referred to the House Committee on Armed Services and the Subcommittee on Military Personnel. Rep Roscoe Bartlett (R) is a co-sponsor.

H.CON.RES.368, introduced on March 20, 2002 by Rep. Ron Paul (R) and co-sponsored by Rep John Conyers, Jr. (D), Rep John J. Duncan, J (R), Jr. , Rep Cynthia McKinney (D), Rep George Miller (D), Rep Patsy Mink (D), and Rep Pete Fornay Stark (D). This bill is co-sponsored by both parties and is against a draft.

I'm sorry but I find a lot of college students to be a lot more educated than many of the adults out there....At least they open their minds up and seek knowledge rather than sticking to one idea. I also find it funny that people say that college students are uneducated...believe it or not, in addition to partying at college some of us actually do learn something.

The attitude presented here is exactly the attitude I got today. Its narrowminded and sterotypical. Yes there are things like Michael Moore and MTV to sway our minds to think one way, but there are also history classes, government classes, and tons of outside committees that provided election info all over school that can help sway students minds as well. I think if anything students have the oppurtunity to be much more informed than the vast majoity of people out there.

I have to agree with Kristi here. Although I'm not denying there are those young unfortunate students out there that are easily influenced by the whole popularity/celebrity aspect, I've been proud to see the massive outpouring of knowledge-seeking this election year. The best thing about the younger voters is that alot of them have yet to be brainwashed into the one-track-mindedness of the whole "my party is better than yours is" and straight party voting crap.I've had numerous conversations on my college campus about each candidates issues and past voting stances on issues I believed to be important to my personal vote.It has nothing to do with my favorite singer's vote or who vh1 thinks will win.Lose the stereotypes people.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Eh, I was talking about recent bills, in light of recent claims by one presidential hopeful that not voting for him would potentially lead to a draft.

I do find it interesting that the bill against the draft (HR 368) is co-sponsored by Democrat John Conyers and Democrat Pete Stark, while both gentlemen also co-sponsor the latest pro-draft bill.

Hmmmm, why exactly do I loathe politicians?

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

"College students are just a bunch of misinformed kids who have no place here." she says. She goes on to say that the only reason we are there is because someone told us to be and we probably dont even have an educated reason for picking the cadidate we are voting for today. "The majority of them are very ignorant afterall"

I don't mean offense, but to a large degree I am inclined to agree with this woman.

The "get out the vote" effort has seemed to do exactly that: spur people to vote just for the sake of casting a ballot. College "kids" (and they are "kids") are all about passion and love-or-hate of a given candidate, but NOT necessarily about substance, or careful analysis of an issue. I remember, I WAS a voting college student, and I can see the differences between me then and me now.

Of course, the woman was making a generalization, a statement of prejudice if you will, and that's not 100% valid. There are many many intelligent, informed college students, but my personal feeling is that they are not the majority.

Couple this with the FACT that demagogues have been out there pushing college students to vote in far greater numbers than they would have if only those college students who cared enough on their own to vote had done so. I think any time you artificially inflate the number of people who "care" about a subject (like voting for president) you skew the numbers badly and you get a huge influx of uninformed people voting.

I, myself, recused myself from voting in two or three races on the ballot today because I didn't know either candidate and was unwilling to push a button just because I liked a name. When I was in college, I did that (albeit for student council, not president or congress).

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

SC??? As in South Carolina?

Hi Daizey

Sorry about that:$SC as in "Speakers Corner" the forum your in now.

If you wanted some serious discussion about the attitude you got at the polling booth maybe you would have gotten a better reception at the Barn fire Forum.

Of course I could be wrong just hang around SC for a while and make your own decision.:)

R.I.P.

Sounds like voter intimidation to me. File a complaint, since you clearly have a whole bunch of witnesses.

BULL-FUCKING-[I]SHIT[/I]!!

Try, "IT'S THE LADY'S FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT TO SPEAK HER MIND AND HER FEELINGS."

Liberals were bitching about supposed First Amendment infringements at the WTO protests, and at the national conventions for the two major political parties -- and surprise surprise! now they're trying to infringe on the First Amendment themselves, with a specious attempt to claim that a woman's free expression of her frustration is "voter intimidation."

It comes down, once again, to liberals only wanting the rules to apply to their opponents. And only liberals should have the protection of the First Amendment. :S

To suggest that she make a complaint just because a woman was commenting on the relative issue-ignorance of college students is very irresponsible, and contributes to the bullshit litigiousness that is spreading like a cancer in our country.

I'm a professor and I get the impression that our students are very well informed.

Yeah -- just NOT when it comes to what rights others are entitled to.

The fact is, for Daizey's case, SHE has the right to vote; the LADY has the right to express that she doesn't LIKE it; and Daizey does NOT have a right to not have to HEAR it.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Kallend,

Someone made the comment while we were there that students are only getting out to vote this year because mtv, the media, and celebrities are telling them too. Have you found this to be true at all among your students?

Well, :D ironically just as I was reading this question, guess who NBC news was interviewing live?

P. fucking DIDDY!

You still have a problem seeing demagoguic pandering and people being "told to vote"?

As far as I'm concerned, no one should be encouraged or pushed to vote. We would have better results if only those who cared enough to follow the issues and were motivated ON THEIR OWN to vote did so. Election results are tainted when people vote for the sake of casting a ballot, with shallow understanding/concern for the issues.

I personally think it has a little to do with it, but I really dont think young people are going into it with the "Im going to vote because MTV told me to." I believe young people are better informed now more than ever before and are voting because they want to have a voice...

You figure that in 2004 youth are more in tune with political issues than, say, in '68 or '71, etc.?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Around here they don't wait for you to show up before they try to intimidate you.

***an effort to limit student voting at Temple and the University of Pennsylvania.

Dorm residents at both schools reported that a doctored version of an Associated Press news article left the impression that out-of-state students voting in Pennsylvania could be forced to repay state grants because of a residency controversy.

If a person is going to be, in my view, worthy of voting, this kind of thing should already be readily transparent to him or her as the hoax that it is!

In other words, if a person is so ill-informed about voting rights and issues that he thinks that, among other things, loans will be called, or unpaid parking tickets will keep him from voting (another hoax I heard of), that person is NOT informed enough to be steering the direction of the nation's leadership!

I'm sorry. I don't want stupid or ignorant people voting. So I don't gripe when they don't bother to; I don't see a reason to implore them to; I don't think that the running of the country suffers if they are not heard from.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Sorry about that SC as in "Speakers Corner" the forum your in now.

lol, i was wondering what your meant haha...its too late to think...between midterms, and papers my brain is fried ;)

Jeffrey-
regarding the womans comments...sure she can comment on it all she wants-she has every right in the world to do that. I just think there are other places to do this than at the polls. She volunteered to be there, therefore it was her duty to help out people rather than criticize them. Had she gone home and said anything or been anyone else in that building that would be an entire different story. It's not a rights issue, its just the matter of making those who came out feel unwelcome and turned off to the idea of going back

As far as I'm concerned, no one should be encouraged or pushed to vote

I agree and dissagree with this statement. It is one thing to encourage and/or push a person to vote who has no idea whats going on just for the sake of getting them out to vote...its a complete different story when you encourage them to vote and provide them with information on how to make an informed decision.

As for pushing them to vote...Noone is taking students by the hands and dragging them out while they are kicking and screaming and fighting not to go. Those who did go went voluntarily.
Also, another point to consider is that for many schools this is midterm time. It takes a lot of time to get out to the voting site and vote...if one didn't really care what was going on, why would they put in the effort when they could clearly be putting it in somewhere else?

Perhaps encouragement is exactly what people need to get out and vote. Previously, everything having to do with the election was targeted at an older audience...now that it is targeted at everyone of voting age, more people feel the need or desire to get out and vote.

You figure that in 2004 youth are more in tune with political issues than, say, in '68 or '71, etc.?

I believe there is oppurtunity to obtain more information on candidates and voting than ever before. Encouraging students to find this information as well as bringing it to them definitely influences their political thoughts...

*daizey*

If a person is going to be, in my view, worthy of voting, this kind of thing should already be readily transparent to him or her as the hoax that it is!

In other words, if a person is so ill-informed about voting rights and issues that he thinks that, among other things, loans will be called, or unpaid parking tickets will keep him from voting (another hoax I heard of), that person is NOT informed enough to be steering the direction of the nation's leadership!

Well, some people are ill-informed enough to believe that harassment inside of polling places is protected by first amendment rights. And they're still allowed to vote.

Who made you the decider of who gets the right to vote?

---
whhaaaat?? college students are ignorant and shouldn't be voting? Ha, so UNtrue.....except for the kids that think eminem is cool, or that they are gonna vote the same way their favorite celebrity is voting
---

I think Eminem still is is so cooool and I voted for what I wanted to vote (2 citicenships)

What is eminem voting for . he told you?

where s problem with college students?