Milo

Why is Osama still alive?

Clearly the it is byond the ability of the US to kill this one man. As for Pakistan I'm certain they'd kill him in a heatbeat given the chance. Al Q is responsible for many attempts on the Generals life and Pakistan is responsible for the capture of 466 Al Q terrorists including several top members. In fact they're doing a damn sight better than the US.

Well, big surprise there. The US is too distracted and preoccupied with the fiasco in Iraq.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

'Cuz he's not dead yet ?

Because our "allies" the Pakistanis are protecting him ?

Because our manpower and budget got distracted with Iraq ?

Because we forgot to print an al-Qaeda deck of playing cards with the 52 most wanted AQ's faces on the cards ?

Because he hates freedom ?

Because he's living in Brooklyn and riding the subway every day ?

Because he won't cooperate and shoot himself ?

I don't know, I'm out of ideas. You tell me...

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

'Cuz he's not dead yet ?

I won't argue with that

Because our "allies" the Pakistanis are protecting him ?

Some among Pakistani, probably. Musharaf? Wants him out as much as we do.

Because our manpower and budget got distracted with Iraq ?

Part of the problem

Because we forgot to print an al-Qaeda deck of playing cards with the 52 most wanted AQ's faces on the cards ?

I'm sure you could get a deck somewhere.

Because he hates freedom ?

I don't think he heates freedom. I think he doesn't give a rat's ass about it.

Because he's living in Brooklyn and riding the subway every day ?

Then he's already being punished somehow

Because he won't cooperate and shoot himself

That rat bastard!

I don't know, I'm out of ideas. You tell me.

Because most people who are that badly wanted have the bad habit of hiding and not giving themselves up...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Wow I don't even know where to start after reading some of the posts in this forum, but just to make my position clear before i get into it, a good number of you people who posted here make me sick and don't deserve to call yourself American's.
I'm trying to figure out where you get your information from, people coming up with these theories about how we know where bin laden is but don't want to capture him because he is not important, or for some political reason. You really need to stop listening to cnn and hillary clinton. If you know anything about the culture in countries like afghanistan you'd know that the country is built on a tribal system. and these tribes are very close knit and will not turn on one of their own, not even for $25 mil. not only that but these people are afraid of helping us. they are afraid of people finding out that they are helping the US because it could get them killed. I have seen the bodies of people who were found to be helping us in iraq.
I guarantee that there is no soldier out there who knows the location of bin laden and isn't going to get him for political reasons. If any soldier out there learned of his whereabouts I don't care how much rank or power you have there is no way in hell you could hold that soldier back from going after the man who murdered 3000 American's.
Now other people saying that it is because we got "distracted" with iraq and let him slip through our fingers, yeah i'm sure that all the soldiers in afghanistan are so busy thinking"gee i wonder whats happening in iraq today" that they missed bin laden walking right in front of them. And it isn't because there isn't enough manpower in afghanistan due to the fact that there are so many soldiers in iraq. afghanistan is a perfect special operations mission. a large number of conventional forces in afghanistan would not do any good, it isn't great numbers of soldiers searching large areas that is going to find him it is the special operators who can work on their own set of rules, and think outside the box that are going to find them. we have the perfect amount of soldiers in afghanistan.
believe me i have more to say but i know i've already dragged on long enough, i will leave it at this for now.
but just to let you know why i feel i know what i'm talking about, i'll let you know a little about me. I'm in the army and part of the special operations community, i won't get specific as to which part of the community. I have personally been involved in fighting the war on terror, and am getting ready to return to the middle east. I have tracked down and captured terrorists and never once was i distracted or stopped from doing my job because of politics or something else in the world. I was completely focused on my mission the whole time i was there. The only time politics even came close to getting in the way was when it changed what we had to know about a person before we could take them out. I can't get too specific on the details of that but believe me politics never had an effect on my ability to do my job to the point where i let terrorists slip through my hands.
Have a little faith in that your government is trying to do the right thing. Not only that but don't undermine the Men and Women who volunteer to give their lives and serve a higher purpose in life than those of you who do nothing but sit safely in your homes night watching the news and criticizing the heroes of our nation. You sleep soundly in your beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf. Fully knowing that none of you could care less whether or not we live or die, or what fate becomes of us, and yet we still fight for your freedom to speek down on us and disrespect us.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I don't think anyone that I've seen on this forum is suggesting that our troops know the location but simply aren't going after him.

I think that we pretty much all agree that if anyone on our side knew his location, they'd get him forthwith.

That said, I think that some of us, myself included, are appalled that we may have been closing the noose on him, only to let him slip through it while the US invaded Iraq.

I'm confident that if the Admisistration had put enough support behind OBL's capture, we'd have him by now and I hold the Administration responsible . . . not the troops.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm confident that if the Admisistration had put enough support behind OBL's capture, we'd have him by now

If you would have served in our military you would know that the US is capable of engaging in multiple confrontations worldwide. Our invasion in Iraq has nothing to do with us not having a terrorist in custody.

Forty-two

...there is no soldier out there who knows the location of bin laden and isn't going to get him for political reasons.

A member of the 9-11 comission and former member of Reagan's cabinet says otherwise:
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20954~2484165,00.html
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/10/23/113806.shtml

...believe me politics never had an effect on my ability to do my job to the point where i let terrorists slip through my hands.

I believe you. I believe the US military can accomplish any mission if they are given the proper equipment and support from their higher command.

Have a little faith in that your government is trying to do the right thing.

That I do not have. Please see my second post where I said

Conspiracy is easier to believe than incompetance.

I'm confident that if the Admisistration had put enough support behind OBL's capture, we'd have him by now

If you would have served in our military you would know that the US is capable of engaging in multiple confrontations worldwide. Our invasion in Iraq has nothing to do with us not having a terrorist in custody.

Iraq is eating us up. Even Carl Sagan cannot imagine how many billions and billions 9/11 is costing and I think this is part of OBL plan.:| If we would have put the same effort in finding BL as we did by invading Iraq, I think we would have found him. But, we did get Saddam and his sons!:P

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

where is everyone getting the idea that we aren't putting the effort in finding bin laden that we are putting into iraq. where is this info coming from, iraq did not take anything away from afghanistan, no soldiers were taken from afghanistan to be used in iraq. iraq requires a greater number of soldiers because of the type of mission that it is, afghanistan is receiving all the attention and support that it needs.
and the comments about how we are trying harder in iraq, that has nothing to do with the amount of support, iraq is a different culture the peopl there have a different mindset, and were more willing to help. and further bin laden has been living in caves and making himself scarce for years, remember he had to do the same thing for so many years while russia was at war with afghanistan. in iraq suddam and his sone were so used to ahving freedom of movement and living in a permissive environment that when the tables turned and they had to go into hiding they weren't well enough prepared.

just because the media reports more on iraq than afghanistan doesn't mean that there isn't still soething going on there, that is the only thing i can think of that would be giving people these ideas. "well if CNN says it, it must be true!!"
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

If GQ jumper's resume is correct and I have no reason to believe otherwise, I cannot believe you folks would dispute what he says.

GQ, the problem here is the left want you to fail in capturing OBL so their man can get into the office. They also want us to fail in Iraq. Instead of a United States, we have a Divided States. It's sad that political beliefs are placed on a higher priority than the safety and security of the whole nation.

To you GQ: I want to thank you for your courage, hard work and integrity. I have never put a timetable on your mission at hand. Please know that when I do put my head on my safe pillow every night, I pray for you and your comrades. I believe you folks are the best special forces in the world. I also believe that President Bush concurs.

Now go catch OBL, so the libs can STFU!

God bless,

Instead of a United States, we have a Divided States.

Good thing GWB is , " . . . a uniter, not a divider".

That said, to suggest that the "liberals" in the US don't want OBL captured & killed is simply ludicrous.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

osama is still alive because....... he's not in afganistan or pakistan. i saw him driving a cab the other day at b'way and 52cnd street. he was on the way to kennedy airport to catch a plane to crawford texas. he said something about looking up an old friend for a barbaque.

people see me as a challenge to their balance

That said, to suggest that the "liberals" in the US don't want OBL captured & killed is simply ludicrous.

We would never imply that. We would however, under Flipper, have to pass the Global Test and have every country in the UN sign our permission slip before we do anything.

Forty-two

You really need to stop listening to cnn and hillary clinton. If you know anything about the culture in countries like afghanistan you'd know that the country is built on a tribal system. and these tribes are very close knit and will not turn on one of their own, not even for $25 mil.

That is not what Tenet and the CIA believe. The Afganistan war was executed initially with US Special Forces supporting CIA paramilitary teams. The CIA was funding the Northern Alliance, and Tenet warned Bush that the biggest risk was that in Afganistan you "rent" peoples loyalty & they always default to the highest bidder. Apparantly Taliban commanders were defecting for as little as US$50K.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

where is everyone getting the idea that we aren't putting the effort in finding bin laden that we are putting into iraq. where is this info coming from, iraq did not take anything away from afghanistan, no soldiers were taken from afghanistan to be used in iraq. iraq requires a greater number of soldiers because of the type of mission that it is, afghanistan is receiving all the attention and support that it needs.
and the comments about how we are trying harder in iraq, that has nothing to do with the amount of support, iraq is a different culture the peopl there have a different mindset, and were more willing to help. and further bin laden has been living in caves and making himself scarce for years, remember he had to do the same thing for so many years while russia was at war with afghanistan. in iraq suddam and his sone were so used to ahving freedom of movement and living in a permissive environment that when the tables turned and they had to go into hiding they weren't well enough prepared.

just because the media reports more on iraq than afghanistan doesn't mean that there isn't still soething going on there, that is the only thing i can think of that would be giving people these ideas. "well if CNN says it, it must be true!!"

So do you mean to say that 200,000 troops and 200 billion bucks still could not find and/or kill OBL?:| Sure hope that is not the case! The target should have been OBL and not a flex of power by The Bush Dynasty and share holders of Haliburton.:o:|;)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

afghanistan is receiving all the attention and support that it needs.

Sure is. Poppy production is up above pre-US invasion levels. Heroin on the streets of the Europe is also up.

Since when did Afghanistan become a drug operation, something like that falls in the hands of afghani officials not our soldiers who spend their days fighting.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower