xlh883

Got an idea from tv, need advice to execute

I was watching America's funniest home videos tonight on tv when a skydiving video popped up. Two guys were holding a hula hoop and their buddies would track through it. The first person made it, the other kinda messed it up and it was funny.

Anyway, question is this. For someone like me who has never carried anything in freefall so far, is it too dangerous for me to do yet at 60 jumps? Second question: If myself or someone else holds the hula hoop for me, how do you hold on to it during the deployment phase and then what do you do with it before you land?

Do you drop the object (hula hoop in this case) before you make your turn to final or hold on to it all the way down?

Thanks,

David

This has been done over the past 40 years. You're the perfect number of jumps to start with 3 others. Then, grab nine of your best friends and go for your SCSA award:

http://www.scr-awards.com/awards/index.html

We do this at SkyFest for those with less than 100 jumps. Get with a local Instructor regarding the specifics about the hoop on deployment. Have fun!
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hoop dives are fun, but there are some extra dangers. My suggestions:

1) Get a few senior jumpers to fly with you. Too many low-timers can really create problems, a few senior voices will keep you on track.

2) Maintain altitude awareness. It's real easy to focus on the hoop, and forget that the planet is waiting to say hello.

3) The person designated to hold the hoop at deployment time needs to be very heads up. It's easy to hold it, but you must be willing to release if there are problems. That's especially so with today's elliptical canopies that require perfect body position at opening.

4) When you are approaching the hoop GO SLOW! It's super easy to over track, and dangerous closing speeds are possible.

5) The big hang-up points when going through the hoop are your rig and your legs. Enter the hoop on the low side to allow room for your pack, enter slow, but extend your legs just prior to the hoop so your elevated feet don't get hung up.

6) Smile and have fun. Hoop dives are great when people have been taking themselves too seriously. They are just fun. Really fun.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Hey Eric,

I was gonna ask you if you thought anyone at SGC might wanna do it. I am pretty sure I will be there Monday, if not, next weekend for sure.

I went to Richmond today for the boogie, but the clodus were way too low with intermittent showers, so cashed in my jump tickets and came back home. I was really frustrated after having waited 6 weeks to heal.

Catch you later,

David

Ok, I will be there tomorrow morning, you don't have to twist my arm. I just changed my other gotta do plans from tomorrow to Monday, so no jumping on Monday.

Unless I hear otherwise, I will plan on being at the DZ around 0800 as I don't know what time the action starts.

I do have to do at least one confidence hop first as it has been 6 weeks since my last jump due to injury, I have a new jumpsuit I have never flown, and haven't jumped at SGC yet. I have jumped an Otter mostly, but never a Casa. I must seem kinda complicated now. ;)

Are you hanging out in any particular spot or jsut have them call you on the PA system to meet with you? I got your name from your profile already.

I probably won't do a demo rig just because my rig is so new with only 7 jumps on it and I am not used to it yet. We'll see though.

Thanks for the invite btw!

David Burnworth

Sounds like fun. I look forward to being there. I could see this hoop diving taking a couple tries as I haven't done anything near this before. As for the "first beer" you mentioned, that could break me financially. hehe We'll see though. I might be able to spring for some on this occasion.

Let's see, 1st skydive after being broken, 1st skydive of "A" license without getting broken (we hope and expect) after first actual a license skydive I got hurt, 1st skydive with new full face helmet, 1st skydive with new jumpsuit, 1st skydive with new freefly pants if I get the opportunity to do a solo with them sometime, 1st skydive at SGC, 1st skydive in Ohio, 1st skydive on east coast, 1st gonna be freakin' cold skydive, 1st skydive with other people most likely, 1st RW skydive that isn't under instruction. I am sure there are a few more, but that is all I can think of for the moment.

:P

See you in the morning,

David

I have been reading the webpage than BIGUN sent. It looks like a lot of fun and looked that way on tv last night. It even looks like something I can do to!

I am ready to start having fun skydiving. Being under instruction was and wasn't fun at times. Sometimes with the all day coaching, it got to be a pain in the arss.

David

I have been reading the webpage than BIGUN sent. It looks like a lot of fun and looked that way on tv last night. It even looks like something I can do to!

I am ready to start having fun skydiving. Being under instruction was and wasn't fun at times. Sometimes with the all day coaching, it got to be a pain in the arss.

David

You will a student and "under instruction" for a long as you skydive, there is always more to learn. :)
The last time I went in the tunnel the "instructor had less than 500 jumps but more tunnel time then God. He spent 15 minutes trying to teach me to do things the right way.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

You will a student and "under instruction" for a long as you skydive, there is always more to learn. :)
The last time I went in the tunnel the "instructor had less than 500 jumps but more tunnel time then God. He spent 15 minutes trying to teach me to do things the right way.

I am a Private Pilot and I have always been taught that a good pilot is always learning also. I expect to cotinue learning.

I have heard that you "old timers" have trouble in the wind tunnel for the first couple times. I did tunnel before AFF 1q and another hour and 20 mins or so up through getting my "A". Tunnel isn't easy, but it sure is a good tool. I had trouble in the tunnel myself.

David

I have heard that you "old timers" have trouble in the wind tunnel for the first couple times.

My first time in was a very humbling experience. I had spent a great many years learning how to things wrong and I was very good at it. It took some patient coaches and a few times in the tunnel before I came around and changed my ways. But I feel it made me a better flyer.

Hoop Dives rock.:)

Yes, you suck!!!!!;) That looks like a night (of course) scsa in the 80's??? I am so jealous. I tried multiple times in dallas to get mine (scsa), never "picked" the right people just got a group together and jumped. I finally picked a group and set it up for the next day, couldnt make the jump due to the fact that I had to leave the dz for other reasons and they got it!!!!

Sparky once again, that is a great piece of history you got there. When are we going to make a jump together?
old timer............ how's your tunnel flying going???

are you just a box man???:)

Sounds like fun. I look forward to being there. I could see this hoop diving taking a couple tries as I haven't done anything near this before. As for the "first beer" you mentioned, that could break me financially. hehe We'll see though. I might be able to spring for some on this occasion.

Let's see, 1st skydive after being broken, 1st skydive of "A" license without getting broken (we hope and expect) after first actual a license skydive I got hurt, 1st skydive with new full face helmet, 1st skydive with new jumpsuit, 1st skydive with new freefly pants if I get the opportunity to do a solo with them sometime, 1st skydive at SGC, 1st skydive in Ohio, 1st skydive on east coast, 1st gonna be freakin' cold skydive, 1st skydive with other people most likely, 1st RW skydive that isn't under instruction. I am sure there are a few more, but that is all I can think of for the moment.

:P

See you in the morning,

David

Ok, lets do a "coaching" jump first and make some small steps for you. Dont want to throw too much your way at one time. we will get you on some fun,safe learning jumps.

J

I am glad it helped you.

If you don't mind me asking, what things were you doing wrong that they had to correct?

David

Just pick one. I learned out of D-18's and DC-3' wearing a jumpsuit with more material than a Hobbi Cat sail. Picked up lots of bad habit over the years.

And thats my final word on the subject.:P

That looks like a night (of course) scsa in the 80's???

1995, a group of us did a series of hoop dives, both day and night, for Tom Sanders. He wanted some stock footage of them.

SCSA - 329
NSCSA - 105

When are we going to make a jump together?

My jump career ended on 26 Feb. 2006 with a demo into a NASCAR race at Cal. Speedway.
:)

Second question: If myself or someone else holds the hula hoop for me, how do you hold on to it during the deployment phase and then what do you do with it before you land?

I have been the holder a few times and I just held onto it with my left hand and deployed with the right as normal. Point the "hole" towards the relative wind.

After opening I just put it over my shoulder and landed with it. I had considered dropping it over an open area but there is really no reason to. You or someone else will just have to go get it.

Of course if you have a malfunction you should just toss it and go to your EPs. They are light and made of plastic so it won't do much damage. Still, you should always be over open areas when jumping a hoop in case you need to drop it.

Hoop Dives rock.:)

Except when you go a little TOO low through the hoop and open up your nose as you smack into it[B|B| Then they rock for everyone except you (or in this case me):D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?