peacefuljeffrey

Florida Power and Light are FUCKING INCOMPETENTS

I have lightly skimmed through this thread and I can't find an answer to a burning question....

Mr. "All Power Workers Must Die" has been on a powered computer ranting for 2 days. My laptop batt don't last that long.

Where is he getting juice to run his computer for the last 2 days?????

These crazy bastards were up on a pole in a thunderstorm at midnight! They got me a temporary fix for the night, then came back the next day and spent all day making it pretty. Again, 20 trucks and as many guys.

Maybe things are a little different there. When I called FPL last Sunday, I actually got a live person. I was informed that they were aware of the power outtages in my area, and would send people out when winds dropped below 35mph. Man, crazy skydivers have gone up in 35mph, and these guys need less wind than that. Frances' worst had gone, now we were getting some stormy bands, but calmness for the most part. Yet, until there were no gusts above 35mph, they would not go. But... thankfully, my power came back on Monday, many people are still w/o.

-A.

I have a question... Why did my power go out before Frances even got close. We were having like 40mph gusting on and of, and boom, my power goes at 9am Friday 9/3. I'm just curious as to what crappy equipment can't withstand 40mph winds?

Tree limbs. Monday, I was talking to the two linemen that were driving by. They said that a tree limb cracked and fell on a transformer. The transformer was ok with the wind, but not the tree.

Man, I wanna know why they have weak ass trees next to transformers! That sux! They (the city) should be required to pull up weak tree strains, or shallow rooted trees. There aren't many houses nearby to me, I doubt this transformer is in someone's backyard. It is probably public property (purely speculation). Century Villiage was a disaster because of the type of trees they had (can't remember the name, they had super shallow roots. These are HUGE trees. Do they not know we live in Florida? Incompetence kills!

Angela.

>They (the city) should be required to pull up weak tree strains, or
> shallow rooted trees.

You'd really be OK with the city cutting down all the trees on your lot because they were a "weak strain?"

Usually power companies do a pretty good job of clearing right-of-ways. 100+MPH winds can wreak havoc with the best laid plans, though. When wind can break off a limb and carry it 50 feet - hard to plan for that.

Not trying to kill your anger, but FP&L has actually won lots of awards and stuff for their systems. We learned that in a college class I took that talked about Demming.....they are the first (maybe only) non-Japanese company to win a rather prestigious award.
Blue Skies!
Mary B
Sandillas Rodriguez
Muff Brother #2959 TF #77

I have lightly skimmed through this thread and I can't find an answer to a burning question....

Mr. "All Power Workers Must Die" has been on a powered computer ranting for 2 days. My laptop batt don't last that long.

Where is he getting juice to run his computer for the last 2 days?????

Called ME a moron but can't figure out that I might be bringing the laptop to work and charging it, and/or posting from work?!

Geez, that one was a MEATBALL, Duckwater! But to you, it was a big enigma! Wow... what have our schools wrought? :S

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

>They (the city) should be required to pull up weak tree strains, or
> shallow rooted trees.

You'd really be OK with the city cutting down all the trees on your lot because they were a "weak strain?"

Usually power companies do a pretty good job of clearing right-of-ways. 100+MPH winds can wreak havoc with the best laid plans, though. When wind can break off a limb and carry it 50 feet - hard to plan for that.

A letter in the paper pointed out that the utility companies are responsible only for trimming vegetation on the easements, not on people's property, and that MANY people have trees all over their property (the letter writer disparaged these "tropical oases") that are way close to or overhanging power lines. And even if 10 neighbors on a block have nothing near the lines, ONE guy who does can put out the entire block.

People love their banyans and palms, apparently more than they do having television and hot showers.

-
-Jeffrey

Called ME a moron but can't figure out that I might be bringing the laptop to work and charging it, and/or posting from work?!

Oh. so you have a workplace to go to and it has electricity? And you'll be getting a paycheck soon with which you can pay your bills, and maybe if you're suffering so bad go find a motel room with A/C and a warm shower?

I'll bet there's A/C at your work too. And I'll bet there's a bathroom there with a sink in which you could wash your hair, pits and ass with warm water if you felt the need.

I'd even put money on one of your neighbors with power letting you use their bathroom and suck up some of their A/C... that is if you are less abrasive in person than you are online. I've offered the use of my shower, stove, fridge space and A/C to several people in my area.

Blame the storms, not the utility company and certainly not the utility workers - who are working twice the hours you are without benefit of air conditioning. I know less than nothing about the infrastructure that makes our "modern" life and all it's conveniences possible but I'd think it takes more than a day or two for damn near an entire state to be returned to "normal" after a major disaster - not to mention the fact that it was the SECOND major disaster to hit the state in less than a month and the possibility of a THIRD major disaster only two weeks later.

So anyway, exactly what kind of cheese would you like with your whine? Personally I like thinly sliced Provolone; I find it goes well with my whine about not having power at my work so I can't make money with which to pay my bills.

But y'know what? I'd much rather they focus on getting power back to the people who really need it - the elderly, the shut-in invalids, the families with little kids - before they get it back on at my shop. I'd even be willing to have my power at home go off for the next nine days if it meant that someone who really needs it could have theirs turned on.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/13/pf/dangerousjobs/

Gee, the 7th most dangerous job in America. All for the HUGE salary of $21 bucks an hour.

If those sons of bitches would suck it up, they could have the #1 most dangerous job in America, and people wouldn't have to be typing on a laptop while eating Pringles by candlelight.

(That's considered romance by Lisa;))

Maybe one of the FPL guys eating twinkies outside could figure out how to rig your laptop battery to your hot water heater for you. You get a warm shower, we get.....never mind.

I got rid of my hot water heater altogether.
I found that I didn't even really need to heat water that was hot. Imagine that.
Instead I got myself a "water heater."

(Paid cash, too. I took the money out of an "ATM machine." But I wore gloves, because I worry that the last customer might have touched the buttons with the "HIV virus.")

These are things they don't teach you in the "SIM Manual."

-
-Jeffrey

Oh. so you have a workplace to go to and it has electricity? I'll bet there's A/C at your work too.

Yep, and the bastards make it too cold for some of the women who work in my office. The fiends!

And I'll bet there's a bathroom there with a sink in which you could wash your hair, pits and ass with warm water if you felt the need.

Nope. They have these stupid splattery sinks with the sensors and no faucets. One temperature of water: "Florida cold."

Even the toilet bowls are automated, and if you don't want your ass splashed (it ain't a bidet, mind you) you have to put a stickie note over the sensor on the wall to keep from inadvertently tripping it.

I'd even put money on one of your neighbors with power letting you use their bathroom and suck up some of their A/C... that is if you are less abrasive in person than you are online. I've offered the use of my shower, stove, fridge space and A/C to several people in my area.

I don't know the neighbors on the other side of the street (where the power is) well enough at all to ask that kind of favor. This really isn't that kind of neighborhood, anyway.

And yes, I am less abrasive in person than I am here. You can either trust my say so or not, but it's true.

Blame the storms, not the utility company and certainly not the utility workers - who are working twice the hours you are without benefit of air conditioning.

Look, I know you already think I'm an abrasive ass -- I'm not so clueless that I don't realize a LOT of what I write can come off that way -- but I guess I need to say this again since it didn't cut through the chatter in an earlier post:

- I apologize for the insensitivity of the remarks about the power workers. I know they are the grunts doing the work getting us back in shape.

- I regret the "I wish they fry" comment, which was stupid and cast in anger.

- I realize that many many people have it much worse, currently, than I did at any time during this crisis. (I'll be helping two of them dig their beachside condo out of the sand this weekend, in fact.) I just was speaking from my own frustration borne of my own experiences and not holding myself to a standard of checking to make sure I had it worse than anyone else in the world possibly might before I complained. I honestly don't think that is necessary, or reasonable to require of someone.

- I even considered asking a moderator to remove this thread because I saw it had been taken as quite offensive by a number of people.

I know less than nothing about the infrastructure that makes our "modern" life and all it's conveniences possible but I'd think it takes more than a day or two for damn near an entire state to be returned to "normal" after a major disaster.

Please do not forget that the major reason I griped was not for power loss -- I accepted that the night it first happened as an inevitability. What irked me so badly was that on Wednesday, power that had been restored was shut off again by FP&L, and has at this point been off for about 60 hours -- that's 5 times longer than the initial outage was. No, it's not the biggest indignity, inconvenience or tragedy ever to befall a human being; but apart from some of the boneheaded ways in which I expressed my anger and frustration, I am surprised at how I got jumped on for being "spoiled," as though others here have never cursed some trifling matter, like driving to the DZ and finding that want of an engine part has the jump plane grounded for the day or something puny in the grand scheme of things.

Personally I like thinly sliced Provolone; I find it goes well with my whine about not having power at my work so I can't make money with which to pay my bills.

I wish you luck getting that resolved. Are you in Florida too?

Blue skies,
-
-Jeffrey

I like thinly sliced Provolone

Oh baby, don't you know Asiago with some hot soppresatta is the king of all snacks B|

I like sliced stick pepperoni, Meunster cheese and Doritos.

And sharp Cheddar cheese melted on a Thomas' English muffin?! OMG is that good!

-
-Jeffrey

What a bunch of incompetent motherfucking MORONS!!

I am so fucking angry right now I could chew cinderblocks (and you know how angry I normally seem!)!!

Power went out for me rather late into the hurricane -- about 1 a.m. Sunday. Amazingly, it was restored by 3 p.m. Sunday! We were all very relieved, and the point was driven home by the fact that as of today, I knew people in my town who still did not have power.

But today around 4 p.m. (Wednesday), after having three days of solid, restored electric power, THEY FUCKED SOMETHING UP AND NOW IT'S OFF AGAIN, AND IT HAS BEEN FROM 4 P.M. TODAY THROUGH THIS MINUTE, 3 A.M. THURSDAY!! Oh, and it's ONLY MY SIDE of ONLY THIS FUCKING BLOCK! Right across the motherfucking street, they have power!

What kind of piece of shit incompetent motherfuckers does FP&L have to be to get the power RE-failed?!?!

I hope those fuckers die frying, hanging from a fucking bucket truck. >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

-

You Bitch because you have no power, while others weep because they have no home. You sleep uncomfortably on your bed, while others lay awake on mats in a shelter wondering how they are going to provide for their children.

P.S. My power has been out since the hurricane too, oh by the way, I mean since hurricane CHARLIE

My friend, pick up your tampon and move on....

I found that I didn't even really need to heat water that was hot. Imagine that.

The "hot water" in hot water heater refers to the system. So, "hot water heater" is perfectly correct.

If I had just said "water heater" people might have confused it with the heating coil that you use to heat up the baby formula you use in your baby bottle that you are obviously sucking on in the dark while you amuse us with your pathetic tirade while people around you are homeless and dead.

I don't know the neighbors on the other side of the street (where the power is) well enough at all to ask that kind of favor. This really isn't that kind of neighborhood, anyway.

That's too bad. I've lived places like that before - it's much nicer living where neighbors talk to each other and offer a helping hand when needed. Before my power came on on Tuesday my landlord (who lives next door) offered me an extension cord off his generator (located directly behind my kitchen window, and yes it was loud), brought me a plate full of hot food and a cold soda and told me anything I need let him know.

I wish you luck getting that resolved. Are you in Florida too?

Yup. Sebastian.

And the power just went out at my house - literally as I'm typing this - after being on solid since Tuesday evening. I'm hoping it's because they are working on the line that's been down in the street all week a couple blocks from me - that's cool, that would mean that the people living over there (including Sebastians DZM, bendywendy) might get power back today.

Guess I'd better enter laptop and cell phone battery conservation mode and head out to find some ice... good thing they're both fully charged now and I took a shower last night! :D

The power outage was caused by John Kerry trimming his trees without a permit. He never thinks of other people's needs!

Nah - I think Jeb Bush was hearing about this guy in FL that was helping his brother lose the state...and then ....whoops! no more power!;)

I am so fucking angry right now I could chew cinderblocks (and you know how angry I normally seem!)!!

Damn, Jeff, you're the CALMEST motherfucker I think I've ever met!! Tee-hee!

I thought your post was outragously funny. It captured the frustrations all of us south floridians are going through right now. My boss just got fired for not coming in to work quickly enough after the storm! And he was the bast damn boss I've ever had! :( Never mind the fact that he lives in groundzero in PSL and still has an inch of water in his house and a tree on it! And no power or phone or cable or gas !! >:( Freakin' bullshit!

I'm a virgin to the speaker's corner, I've never been here before and probably never will again, it just ain't my style... I have too much of a temper and try to avoid things that make me boil.:$ Never mind that EVERYONE I know gets pissed off when I tell them who I'm voting for. I gave up trying to change anyone's mind a long time ago.

I'm one of those few that enjoy getting back to the basics of the candlelight and soft breeze wafting through the house..... But the joy of that is overshadowed by my neighbors kicking on the generator to watch the game last night. >:(

However, I just now, at 5:30 pm, eastern standard time, got MY POWER RESTORED!!!! Not to rub it in, but seeing as we live right down the street from each other, yours probably is, too. Unless the bucket truck guy forwarded your post & vital information to fp&l, that is! :D

In that case, I just PM'd you directions & an invitation to share my a/c.

And I commend you for admitting your inequities:

I appreciate you and others pointing out the over-the-topness of my initial post. I made it in utter frustration and anger and disappointment. I don't truly wish death on anyone. Call it frustrated futility, but I needed to vent.

Oh, and I can tell you a few juicy FP&L bureaucrat stories someday, I've got the down-low.... but it'll have to be somewhere where the big brothers ain't listening, or I will be the next one to get fired!

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

(Paid cash, too. I took the money out of an "ATM machine." But I wore gloves, because I worry that the last customer might have touched the buttons with the "HIV virus.")

LOL

Now that's funny. Anal; but funny. :D

And for once I can't even pick fault with any of it... you're perfectly correct.

LOL

Now that's funny. Anal; but funny. :D

And for once I can't even pick fault with any of it... you're perfectly correct.

See? I'm not a nasty, vindictive, humorless prick 360 degrees around... :P

-
-Jeffrey