Steel

bands that I will be boycotting

Clinton Lied under oath. Clinton has actually raped a woman by biting her on the lip while he is doing his thing.

Clinton is not running for president.

If you study history, you would realize that most great leaders did things that were very unpopular amongst the crowds at the time..

Yeah, like Napoleon, Stalin, Lennin...

Why were they so popular after squashing afganistan taliban

First off, there was just a battle last month where we killed 300 taliban. Pretty good indicator they're not quite squashed (but hopefully on their way). And second, they actually had something to do with Al Queda and Bin Laden.

And you will find me supporting all of them in their efforts.

As far as patriotism? Well, I like this quote:
"A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle." -George William Curtis

but Kerry's wife "Heinz Ketchup" scares me more than Hillary.

Most likely because she is very educated, speaks her mind freely and has a worldly view about her because she grew up outside of America. She scares you because she comes across more dominate then most men, and this frightens men who do not like strong women. Men seem to prefer the submissive ways of Laura Bush instead.

Also, making fun of someone's name is a child's game and does nothing to win over your point.

Dude! You must start taking some medication.

Nice personal attack there -- it must mean you've run out of relevant arguments.

Nope. I reserve good arguments for discussions based on rationality. I'm well versed in all sorts of medications and would not hesitate to recommend them if I see a need.

How bout if I said, "Dude, lighten up" ...would that have fit better into your more limited perspective?

Michael

> See you thinking about Born in the U.S.A. and J.C.M. American Fool
> album but what you not thinking is that these came out 20 years ago.

In 1980, Springsteen made this comment on Reagan's election during a concert:

"I don’t know what you guys think about what happened last night, but I think it's pretty frightening. You guys are young -- there’s gonna be a lot of people depending on you comin' up, so this is for you."

So 24 years ago, The Boss was just as anti-authoritarian as he is today.

Ah, yes, the multimillionaire mega celebrity "everyman blue-collar joe" who goes home to a mansion to sleep at night. What an iconoclast. Eat the rich! Ohh, uh, wait, that's me!

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Clinton Lied under oath. Clinton has actually raped a woman by biting her on the lip while he is doing his thing.

Clinton is not running for president.

If you study history, you would realize that most great leaders did things that were very unpopular amongst the crowds at the time..

Yeah, like Napoleon, Stalin, Lennin...

Uh, I think his point was, "great leaders who maybe weren't understood at the time but who LATER WERE respected for their decisions." Who is now respecting Stalin for his decisions?

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

For every conservative music or movie star I could name, how many libs could you name? 20? ***
Product of Hollywood. Actor. President of SAG (Screen Actors' Guild). Governor of CA. President of the US of A.
Never lied under oath, because he was smart enough to have other people do it for him... But that's probably worth another thread!

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Ah, yes, the multimillionaire mega celebrity "everyman blue-collar joe" who goes home to a mansion to sleep at night. What an iconoclast. Eat the rich! Ohh, uh, wait, that's me!

Difference with Bruce is that he's held and voiced these views he's had going all the way back to the first album, and probably before that. Back when he had nothing, and less than nothing. Long before he was wealthy, which of course was not pre-ordained. I disagree with some of his views, but have always been a big fan. I can respect someone's views, even if they're different from mine. He cares, he connects, and he gets people to think. Dialogue is always good, even with (especially with) those with divergent views.

On the other hand, those I have little time for are the I-got-mine-hollywood-limosine-liberals. I can no longer mentally distance myself from the Sarandon/Robbins set, their work and their views so I don't support those anymore. They chose to divide their audience. It's not my mind that's closed, it's simply my mind which has analyzed and decided.

Would the dixie chicks said what they said at a concert in texas? No. In their case, they were simply pandering to the UK crowd, and we're told at the time like 80% of brits were against military action in iraq. I cannot have any respect for the views of panderers.

If you have a set of views which are reasoned, and which you hold and voice regardless of the audience, in front of people who can and can't DO anything for you, then I can respect that.

And then *I* can still choose to support that person's work or not. And I am free to have my own reasons. I don't OWE these people a career. That's not censorship. It's just freedom of choice.

Maybe when I'm wealthy, I'll be able to afford to be a liberal too.

You're right about Zeppelin's lyrics not being the most political, but they didn't write most of them anyway. ;)

I hope they paid some royalties to Leadbelly. Still, they had one hell of a guitar player.

Zep wrote all most all their own music and covered a fair amount of songs. This was very popular back in the day. Well, a band would take the lyrics and write new music for it. Most of the 60's bands were blues and swing based. Zep was not as political as the others, but The Doors were very out spoken......5 to 1, baby!:)
And it was the bass player and drummer who made Zeppelin!;):P:P

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

American Fool album but what you not thinking is that these came out 20 years ago. They don't make anything patriotic anymore. Because they are going with the liberal left which has nothing patriotic about it.

Depends on your definition of patriotic.

Born In The U.S.A. Lyrics
by Bruce Springsteen

Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
'Til you spend half your life just covering up

[chorus:]
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

I got in a little hometown jam
And so they put a rifle in my hands
Sent me off to Vietnam
To go and kill the yellow man

[chorus]

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"
I go down to see the V.A. man
He said "Son don't you understand"

[chorus]

I had a buddy at Khe Sahn
Fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there, he's all gone
He had a little girl in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years down the road
Nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go

I'm a long gone Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a cool rocking Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

And while we are at it about patriotic songs.

THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND
words and music by Woody Guthrie

Chorus:
This land is your land, this land is my land
From California, to the New York Island
From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters
This land was made for you and me

As I was walking a ribbon of highway
I saw above me an endless skyway
I saw below me a golden valley

Chorus

I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
And all around me a voice was sounding

Chorus

The sun comes shining as I was strolling
The wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling
The fog was lifting a voice come chanting

Chorus

As I was walkin' - I saw a sign there
And that sign said - no tress passin'
But on the other side .... it didn't say nothin!
Now that side was made for you and me!

Chorus

In the squares of the city - In the shadow of the steeple
Near the relief office - I see my people
And some are grumblin' and some are wonderin'
If this land's still made for you and me.

Chorus (2x)

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

American Fool album but what you not thinking is that these came out 20 years ago. They don't make anything patriotic anymore. Because they are going with the liberal left which has nothing patriotic about it.

Depends on your definition of patriotic.

Born In The U.S.A. Lyrics
by Bruce Springsteen

Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
'Til you spend half your life just covering up

[chorus:]
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

I got in a little hometown jam
And so they put a rifle in my hands
Sent me off to Vietnam
To go and kill the yellow man

[chorus]

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"
I go down to see the V.A. man
He said "Son don't you understand"

[chorus]

I had a buddy at Khe Sahn
Fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there, he's all gone
He had a little girl in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years down the road
Nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go

I'm a long gone Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a cool rocking Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

And while we are at it about patriotic songs.

THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND
words and music by Woody Guthrie

Chorus:
This land is your land, this land is my land
From California, to the New York Island
From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters

As I was walking a ribbon of highway
I saw above me an endless skyway
I saw below me a golden valley

Chorus

I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
And all around me a voice was sounding

Chorus

The sun comes shining as I was strolling
The wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling
The fog was lifting a voice come chanting

Chorus

As I was walkin' - I saw a sign there
And that sign said - no tress passin'
But on the other side .... it didn't say nothin!
Now that side was made for you and me!

Chorus

In the squares of the city - In the shadow of the steeple
Near the relief office - I see my people
And some are grumblin' and some are wonderin'
If this land's still made for you and me.

Chorus (2x)

All of his music and lyrics come from small town America and reflect how those people live and what they experience. If you went to a steel town in Penn state 20 or 30 years ago, you would find people who reflect those words.

You would also find people who would drive pink caddies waving to girls, even out of sight.

Springsteen is known for music that reflects what he sees and feels.

Anyone want to touch Dylan? I dare you! I double dare you!!!!!!!!!!;)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

All of his music and lyrics come from small town America and reflect how those people live and what they experience. If you went to a steel town in Penn state 20 or 30 years ago, you would find people who reflect those words.

You would also find people who would drive pink caddies waving to girls, even out of sight.

Springsteen is known for music that reflects what he sees and feels....

Give me a break. After reading the words above. Two songs BTW, one Bruce and one Woody Gurthrie, how can you say either is "patriotic" in the Republican sense of the word?

I happen to agree with the sentiment in each song and think they are patriotic in that they point out problems in our society but pointing out problems in our society is not usually considered patriotic by those on the right.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

In my not so humble opinion, yes. The Republican definition of patriotic is our government, right or wrong. I think others have a more "liberal" definition.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

would that have fit better into your more limited perspective?

Personal insults are big with you, it would seem.

You disagree with the accuracy of my statement ...or are you just more of a form over substance kind of guy?

I see in your profile, you been skydiving a year with 80 jumps, and recently graduated from wearing pampers (congrats, BTW). If I underestimated your world view, I withdraw my statement and offer my apologies.

If not, well, skydiving (and much of life) is all about accurately assesing the reality of situations ...and , no matter how much you may not like it, accept it is, indeed, the true state of affairs.

Live and learn, brother. Live and learn.

Michael

you forgot Willie Nelson

and since you appear to like german quotes here's another one:

Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man am Ende auch Menschen.

Heinrich Heine 1820

Didn't forget Willie Nelson. He just is not a part of this Concert being put on by Moveon. But rest assure the sight of the pothead makes me sick. He seem in very secure and the Dem convention with like minded individuals. By the way thats a nice quote but its not at all relevant since I have not advocated censoring anybody or anything and I am certainly not out there burning anything. I think you need to save that quote for the Kerry lawyers that are hard at work trying to censor his fellow soldiers. The ones that were not kissing his ass all over the Dem convention but are out telling the true story of the real Kerry they knew and served with, the coward.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

First - Actually it's been proven they didn't serve directly with Kerry, although they were in the 'vicinity' of where Kerry served.

Second - Although I don't agree with you in the slightest politically, I agree with you 100% when it comes to voting with your wallet. I do it all the time. I can make people crazy - Nope sorry can't eat there, I boycott the place, nope sorry can't buy that I boycott the company . . .
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

>>Personal insults are big with you, it would seem.

>recently graduated from wearing pampers

CRWMike, Skydyvr, enough already. No personal attacks even if the other guy did it first, or really is a dick or whatever.

Sorry, my bad. I'll no longer point it out when anyone hands me a personal insult.

. . =(_8^(1)