quade

Ex-freekin'-cuse me?!? "Cheney Blames Democrats for Gas Prices"

Well, he does have a point.

Let's drill our own land - and stop paying for some third world country to get rich.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Well, he does have a point.

Let's drill our own land - and stop paying for some third world country to get rich.

Agreed. That is a point, but not the whole point. Price increases can also be blamed on the volatility of the Russian oil companies.

I think we should tap our oil a lot more.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I think we should promote less usage of oil.

If you -really- want to blame the long-term high cost of gas on something, blame the gas guzzlers. It's still a supply v. demand world and if there was less demand, the prices -would- be lower.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm thinkin' the price of gas right now would be a lot lower if the middle-east wasn't as f'ed up as it is.

I don't think you understand how little of the US's oil actually comes from the middle east. Its about 11%.

If the liberals would let us use our own resources while promoting programs to reduce the need for oil, then we could slowly bring our economy out of an oil dependent state, while we keep the oil money in our economy.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you -really- want to blame the long-term high cost of gas on something, blame the gas guzzlers. It's still a supply v. demand world and if there was less demand, the prices -would- be lower.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

gas guzzlers, like the ones who expend fuel for a sixty second rush/five minute canopy ride.
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

To promote less use of oil, keep the prices high. Simple market system there, used well in the 70's.

True. You can blame the gas guzzlers. The target is just as easy as it is correct.

Or, you can blame the supply. Yeah, "supply side economics" is voodoo to a lot of people, but it's just as viable. The problem with supply side in fule is that it can increase consumption, since there is more of it and it is cheaper that way.

The environmental movement really doesn't want that. I understand that point, too. They have their reasons.

Some of us supply siders have our reasons, too. Just coming from different sides, Paul...

Absolutely. I blamed him for my flat tire the other day, too. ;)

Now THERE is a good liberal.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Well, when I get back this evening I'll look for the source that I got my number from, it was something I read on a report about 5 or 6 months ago...

The way it broke it down, it shows that the largest amount of oil imported was actually from Canada and South America, not from the Middle East.

That's completely false. Not even close.

Way to just state what could be shown as purely your opinion without any facts.

Atleast Quade has the balls to show his sources.

Agreed. That is a point, but not the whole point. Price increases can also be blamed on the volatility of the Russian oil companies.

And Venezula

I don't agree with that. I'd prefer to spend that money investing on alternate fuels and preserving our land. Drilling here at home will not remove our dependance of oil from the world. The road to cutting those ties is long and hard....and we need to invest in it now.

gas guzzlers, like the ones who expend fuel for a sixty second rush/five minute canopy ride.

Oh, I totally admit to that. However, there simply is no other practical way to skydive. There are no electric Twin Otters and no hybrid fuel SkyVans.

I try to atone for my recreational use of fossil fuels by being as conservative as possible with all other uses of energy. I see no need whatsoever to drive a vehicle that guzzels more fuel than simply required to get me from point A to point B. I don't need to haul an extra 2 tons of steel around simply to get me from home to the DZ.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Way to just state what could be shown as purely your opinion without any facts.

I never state facts that are false.

As far as me backing it up? You do your own legwork. Why must we always take time out to hunt facts for you because you're too lazy to look yourself?

Start looking here.

Forty-two

I don't agree with that. I'd prefer to spend that money investing on alternate fuels and preserving our land. Drilling here at home will not remove our dependance of oil from the world. The road to cutting those ties is long and hard....and we need to invest in it now.

We need to do both.

But - the rest of the countries around the world would be pretty pissed off at us.

Supply and demand - if opec is doling out one price - because the demand is high - what do you think will happen when we stop using the opec oil and use our own?

Global economics would be greatly affected.

the DOLLAR would skyrocket while the worlds economy would falter.

We use more oil than any one country out there.

That is WAY over simplified, I know.

Clearly we could be doing a hell of a lot better with gas consumption and likely electricity use. And our lack of planning for the future with diminished oil is going to hurt if we don't get with it.

I'm opposed to domestic tapping for the simple reason that it will become more valuable later. If we think we're being held hostage now, wait till oil is scarse. The sooner we can drain the Middle East dry, the faster they become irrelevent again.

It's still a supply v. demand world and if there was less demand, the prices -would- be lower.

If we had more refining capacity prices would be lower too... but none of the oil companies are going to beef up refining capacity because it costs too much due to EPA regulations.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

>Let's drill our own land . . .

Too late. We're past the Hibbert peak in the US; drilling as fast as we could wouldn't even keep up with increasing demand.

Besides, why drain every bit of oil from the US? Do you want to get to the point where the only people on the planet who have any economically-recoverable oil are the people in the Middle East? Right now we have the cheapest gas prices on the planet; save our oil for when we need it.

Oh, I totally admit to that. However, there simply is no other practical way to skydive. There are no electric Twin Otters and no hybrid fuel SkyVans.

Yep. And the difference is that there is minimal, if any, social utility in skydiving. Hell, event he waivers say there is no social utility to skydiving. It is an absolute waste of resources that provides pretty much nothing good to society. (Flame me all you want, but it does not help commerce or anything of that nature - we do it for fun).

I see no need whatsoever to drive a vehicle that guzzels more fuel than simply required to get me from point A to point B. I don't need to haul an extra 2 tons of steel around simply to get me from home to the DZ.

Well, I do. We just sold my wife's Honda Accord and replaced it with a nice Volvo XC-90. It's big, roomy, guzzles gas, but the damned thing is a tank and a safe mofo. We decided to have a car that we thought was best designed around my son's carseat.

We wrote off a lot, too, because of it.

We decided that "Point A to Point B" is nice, but safety is our biggest concern. Now my family has two cars with moderate gas mileage and 5-Star safety ratings.

Safety begins with You! Or, with a heavy-ass Volvo XC-90 and a ugly and heavy-ass Mercury Sable...