fudd

Should U.N. observers be sendt to monitor the 2004 presidential election?

The USA is and has been quite capible of running its own election without international scrutiny or support.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Yes, just ask the folks in Palm Beach County.

Folk from Palm Beach County here: ABSOLUTELY!!!

As for the cost, since we pay for the UN in large part, we'd be wasting our own money.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

The Texas Republicans had a list of Florida felons?

No...that's the point. They had a list, but it wasn't of Florida felons.

My guess is that they kept the list secret in an attempt to conceal the massive fuckup that they had made. I don't think it's as sinister as you suggest.

The attorney general said it wasn't worth the $125,000 in court to fight the suit to release the list. But the Secretary of State did anyway.

Another interesting quality of the list is that out of all the supposed felons they listed, they didn't include hispanics, who in Florida, support Bush for his Cuba stance.

Another interesting quality of the list is that out of all the supposed felons they listed, they didn't include hispanics, who in Florida, support Bush for his Cuba stance.

Got a source?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Got a source?

-
Jim

Yep, Jeb Bush publicly stated that he wondered why hispanics were not included in the list. Google it.

[replyNonsense. I wrote it very clearly twice previously in this thread, and provided a link. Not my fault if you aren't paying attention.

You are correct, my mistake. I should have know 62% was too low a figure it's actually 93% of felons vote Democratic.

A study last year by scholars at Northwestern University and the University of Minnesota suggested that disenfranchising felons, regardless of color, can only help Republicans get elected. It found that if America's roughly 4.2 million disenfranchised felons voted in the way and at the rate of those who otherwise looked like them demographically and socio-economically, about 30 percent would have turned out to vote in 1996, and 93 percent of them would have voted for then-Democratic presidential candidate Bill Clinton.

Google it.

I did. It's always fun to mess up perfectly good discussions with facts :)

Story here from the Spokesman-Review, a story credited to the AP.

Note that they have decided to withdraw this list after finding a pretty impressive number of problems. The fact that they didn't check the accuracy before declaring they had a list is not very good. A pretty high-level sanity check would reveal that having only 61 Hispanics on ANY list of voters from Florida (well, unless they were KKK voters :P) is a sign of bad data.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well, I've decided that since the latest trend on here is to accuse anyone who posts anything that doesn't tell every conceivable fact, detail and perspective, or who makes a typo or other error a liar, I will just make posts like.

"Bush lied about WMD" - google it. Apparently no one here is interested in anyone elses opinions anymore, they just want to score debating points and inflate their egos by putting other people down.

Ah, but look at the upside -- another thread deader'n'a doornail B|

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>How do you keep getting away with these personal snipes? If I did this
>as often as you do, I'd be banned.

You were recently warned against personal attacks, then you post this and immediately afterwards call another poster a blatant liar. So you've earned yourself some time off. Also a word to the wise - do not call attention to what you consider personal attacks when you make them yourself. Such attempts may backfire.

WE don't have a history of having polls controlled by the minions of warlords, with voters casting their ballots at the muzzle of a gun, or terrorized into voting for the dictator.

You weren't here for the Philly mayoral election last year [:/]

Nor was I in Chicago.
Who won in Philly, a Republican or a Democrat, anyway?

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

The USA is and has been quite capible of running its own election without international scrutiny or support.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Yes, just ask the folks in Palm Beach County.

I live in the heart of Palm Beach County, in West Palm Beach. Sorry, Kallend, I view that as a quasi-personal attack. Would you care to show me how I failed to vote properly in the 2000 election? If you think you can paint everyone in the county with such a broad brush, come up with some evidence that we are any worse at voting than anyone anywhere else.

The infamous "Butterfly Ballot" was no mystery to anyone in the MONTHS leading up to the election when registered voters received it in the mail. That ballot was ACCEPTED and AUTHORIZED by BOTH SIDES until the results of the electiondidn't go the way the whiny, bitch-assed Democrats didn't get what they wanted. Suddenly it was the BALLOT'S fault! "Oh, waaaaaah, it was confusing!!" What a load of absolute bullshit. The fact was there was nothing wrong with the ballot that anyone with an IQ over room temperature couldn't figure out. If you voted with that ballot and weren't sure you cast your vote for the guy you thought you did, you were a fucking imbecile and we're probably better off without your vote counting anyway.

But next time you want to bitch about people making generalizations, Kallend, I'll link you to this post. There was no more screwup in PBC than anywhere else. It just happens that concerns were voiced here that didn't get voiced anywhere else because it didn't come down to the "anywhere elses."

-
-Jeffrey

62% of improperly excluded voters reported that they are Democrats, and 20% Republicans.

So 62% of convicted felons identify with the Democratic Party. I wonder why that is? Likes attract?

The felons surely know who's softest on crime.

-
-Jeffrey

The Texas Republicans had a list of Florida felons?

No...that's the point. They had a list, but it wasn't of Florida felons.

So how could a list of felons who are not even Florida felons have kept Florida felons or non felons from voting? How would the names on a list of Florida voters and TEXAS FELONS intersect?

If I had a list of the names of kids in my fifth grade class, and someone gave me a list of someone ELSES'S fifth grade class and said, "Keep these kids from getting on the bus for the field trip," how could that possibly keep anyone in my class from going on the field trip?

-
-Jeffrey

you make me smile :)
Oh yeah...and calling me a liar wasn't a personal attack? My feeling weren't hurt, I just don't think you deserve an apology.

You repeatedly disparaged him as though he were a coward avoiding responding to your thread, even though he had. You most certainly DO owe him an apology. I don't blame him for saying he thinks you lied. It was a little too convenient for you to simply say, "Oh, I had noticed you HAD replied, but then FORGOT all about it, and then went on to post specifically that you had NOT replied."

-
-Jeffrey

Note that they have decided to withdraw this list after finding a pretty impressive number of problems. The fact that they didn't check the accuracy before declaring they had a list is not very good. A pretty high-level sanity check would reveal that having only 61 Hispanics on ANY list of voters from Florida (well, unless they were KKK voters :P) is a sign of bad data.

Wendy W.

I didn't read your link, but does it mention that in the 2000 election, many Florida counties, having realized something was wrong with the felon voter list, SCRUBBED THE USE OF THE LIST and allowed anyone who was registered, to vote, and did not attempt to purge felons? That means that any felons OR non felons that the list would have prevented from voting DID have their chance to vote, and even despite the heavy felon-democrat connection they still did not turn the tide in favor of Gore.

-
-Jeffrey

Wendy W.

I didn't read your link, but does it mention that in the 2000 election, many Florida counties, having realized something was wrong with the felon voter list, SCRUBBED THE USE OF THE LIST and allowed anyone who was registered, to vote, and did not attempt to purge felons? That means that any felons OR non felons that the list would have prevented from voting DID have their chance to vote, and even despite the heavy felon-democrat connection they still did not turn the tide in favor of Gore.

-

How about reading what this is actually about instead of charging off about Gore again. It isn't about Gore, it's about whether Florida can conduct an election competently and fairly.

Discarding the felon list is just more evidence that Florida can't comply with its own laws. Having an inaccurate felon list is evidence of bias or incompetence.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>How do you keep getting away with these personal snipes? If I did this
>as often as you do, I'd be banned.

You were recently warned against personal attacks, then you post this and immediately afterwards call another poster a blatant liar. So you've earned yourself some time off. Also a word to the wise - do not call attention to what you consider personal attacks when you make them yourself. Such attempts may backfire.

And again, you don't answer the question....

Bill I see it plenty of times, you make snipes, and when called on it you don't answer, you ban the guy.

I fully expect to get banned for pointing this out.

Not exactly blanced for a greenie huh?

Why do I bother to keep posting?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Man, just give it up. You are never going to win with these guys. They will never admit that Gore lost. There will always be an excuse that something wasn't done right, or this was changed allowing this county to do somehting easier than this other county, blah blah blah blah. But of course, there was NOTHING wrong on the other side. Let's ignore lawyers trying to get military absentee ballots thrown out, overseas military that never received their ballots, republican registrations that were screwed up (and yes, that DOES happen just like it happens to Democrats and minorities- they just don't whine about it). Oh- here's my favorite: You can become a Nader Trader! Support the green party and help Gore win at the same time! If you live in critical swing state, and you support Nader, you can cast a vote for Gore and a friendly Gore supporter will cast a vote for Nader in a non critical state. Gore can win and the Green party still gets their votes for federal money! How can we lose?

This felon list is always going to be held up and waved around as how GWB stole the office. I have no doubt that the list had errors. I also have no doubt that the 2000 election purge had errors, the 1996 purge had errors, etc. etc. There were errors all over the place on both sides. Voter registration is purged on a regular basis. Things get fat fingered, databases are merged and cause problems, you name it. It is up to YOU, yes YOU, the responsible American voter to go to your library, or your post office, and get the damn form and fill it out. If you don't get your card you call the election board and give them your social to verify your status.

I have been purged in the past. I reregistered and voted. I also moved several times before the 2002 election. I called and I was registered in the wrong place. I fixed it again, but then again I'm a responsible voter.

You think this is bad, wait for the introduction of computerized touch screens. People can't take a stylus and match up the number next to a candidate with the number in the column, and we expect them to understand touch screens?

Gore lost. Move on.

How annoying is Kallends,
"PAY ATTENTION", shit? Does he think this is one of his classes? Jesus get off the high horse. You have no authority here.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty