PhillyKev

UN Says U.S.-Led Forces Violate Rights in Iraq

"Are we subject to war crimes charges and being tried at the Hague?"
I don't think so. As far as I am aware the US does not recognise that particular court, for that particular reason.
It seems the thought of a non-US justice system trying US servicemen or women for war crimes is unpalatable.:S
I may be wrong on this, so if anyone knows any better can they illuminate please.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I think they should be punished. War crimes . . . I dunno . . . Putting them in the same league with those that ran the furnaces in Germany? No way!

What they did was despicable and perverted. But it wasn't murder.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Putting them in the same league with those that ran the furnaces in Germany? No way!

They're not in the same league. However, a pickpocket goes to the same court as a mass murderer, and it doesn't say anything about the pickpocket's being the same.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think there have been at least two deaths in custody, so yes, we are talking about murder. But I agree with you on the scale of things, no sensible person (even a partisan like myself) would try and draw parallels with the holocaust.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

He goes to a criminal court. I guess I see it that way, not the grand jury part.

I don't know enough about the court system to know who goes before a grand jury, but I don't think it's only mass murderers.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It's the international criminal court and the US is generally perceived badly for not signing up as many people question the motive - if you are whiter than white then what are you scared of?

What shocked me was on a trip to the states a few weeks ago someone was on Fox news and she pretty much used the words "international court thingie..." - she did not know the name - fair for the average person but on a NEWS broadcast :|
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I don’t know why we should get special treatment.
What do we have to hide? And why should we be treated any differently?
If there was a war crime committed then it should be treated as any other war crime.
We need stop thinking we are above every one.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

UN Says

First, I don't give much weight to what the UN says anymore. Actually, I don't think I ever did.

Second, the UN pulled out of Iraq, so how would they know anyway.

Third, given their unique ability to turn a blind eye to human rights abuses the world-over, why would anyone give this any weight other than another "day of where the US does no right, and we're all bad, and the world hates us, and we should poke our own eyes out with dirty sticks, and self-flagellate ourselves in repentance" story.

Again I ask, how does one maintain the energy to focus so obsessively on how bad the US is?

[rant at noone in particular] It's to the point that people aren't even voicing their own opinions anymore, they're looking for other people's opinions just to magnify their own disillusionment. Jesus, it's been a solid year plus of taking a daily shit on the US. Stop taking laxitives, stop eating fiber, grill up a steak and constipate yourselves for a little while. We're coming up on the 60th anniversary of the D-Day invasion in WWII. I sure hope there will be some quiet reflection.[/rant]
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

"First, I don't give much weight to what the UN says anymore. Actually, I don't think I ever did."

But we invaded a country based upon their violation of a UN resolution.

Didn't we?:S
--------------------

"First, I don't give much weight to what the UN says anymore. Actually, I don't think I ever did."

But we invaded a country based upon their violation of a UN resolution.

Didn't we?:S

OOOoooooh. Good one!;)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Och John, thats just one more thing about this conflict that simply doesn't make sense:S>:(
--------------------

What they did was despicable and perverted. But it wasn't murder.

or any worse than what happen in the oral I mean oval office with Clinton. ;)

"Ramcharan said 'willful killing, torture or inhuman treatment' of detainees was a grave breach of international law."

So you equate murder and torture with a consensual blow job? Fascinating! Are you from Georgia by any chance?

Calm down there, cowboy. Where exactly did you see me say anything about what I thought about this article. I asked a pertinent question regarding the factual elements around it, but no where did I say that I agreed with the UN's stance.

It's okay Kev...recall my own post that said: "[rant at noone in particular] " :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

The United States is not a signatory to the International War Crimes Court, in The Hague.

That said, because the Court has been ratified by whatever number of countries that was established, the court does exist, and does have internation backing to charge and prosecute people from countries that aren't signatories.

However, the court only prosecutes people if the nation in question does NOT prosecute them, themselves.

For example, If the US were not prosecuting those responsible for the prison tortures, then the International war crimes court would.

Because the US is actively involved in prosecuting those responsible for human rights violations in Iraq, then the International War Crimes court will not get involved.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

John, is there something wrong with people from Georgia?

What's wrong with the 45 degree rule?!?

Are you a registered brainiac?

Do you have a job (you're on here at all hours)?

What the hell is that thing in your aviatr?

:P:P:P:P:P

PS, I've consulted my attorney, there is no personal attack here;)

So you equate murder and torture with a consensual blow job?

Dude, have you seen Monica Lewinsky? I'd consider it torture. The worst thing I think Clinton did in that whole scandal was not get a freakin' super model to do the deed. Most powerful guy in the world and he picks her. :S

Dude, have you seen Monica Lewinsky? I'd consider it torture. The worst thing I think Clinton did in that whole scandal was not get a freakin' super model to do the deed. Most powerful guy in the world and he picks her. :S

Sincerely...you gotta wonder....[:/]

So you equate murder and torture with a consensual blow job?

Different strokes for different folks. If we all liked women like my GF, she would be too busy to give me much attention.

John, is there something wrong with people from Georgia?

Funny laws on consensual relationships until recently

What's wrong with the 45 degree rule?!?

Everything

Are you a registered brainiac?

yes

Do you have a job (you're on here at all hours)?

I'm on summer break. I start teaching summer school next week.

What the hell is that thing in your aviatr?

Orak the Magnificent. From "Dan Dare, Pilot of the Future" 1960.

:P:P:P:P:P

PS, I've consulted my attorney, there is no personal attack here;)

Try harder next time.