quade

The Bush Twins -- Ya can't have it both ways

File this one under -- Whaaahuuuuuhhh?

Lemme get this straight . . . they pose in Vogue, but the White House wants the press to leave them alone if they campaign for GWB.

Just read these two clips back to back and see if you can make sense of it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5040629/

http://au.news.yahoo.com/040524/11/p544.html
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

File this one under -- Whaaahuuuuuhhh?

Lemme get this straight . . . they pose in Vogue, but the White House wants the press to leave them alone if they campaign for GWB.

Just read these two clips back to back and see if you can make sense of it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5040629/

http://au.news.yahoo.com/040524/11/p544.html

The White House has asked that "respect" be shown. Whats wrong with that? If they were your daughters, wouldn't you feel the same way?

If they were -my- daughters: 1) I'd be really surprised they look that cool ('cause my genetic material just ain't all that attractive) and 2) they would have either been public figures or not, but certainly not some wierd hybrid. I'm leaning toward, not public figures at all until they were 21, then none of my damn business as long as the secret service says it's ok.
quade -

If they were -my- daughters: 1) I'd be really surprised they look that cool ('cause my genetic material just ain't all that attractive) and 2) they would have either been public figures or not, but certainly not some wierd hybrid. I'm leaning toward, not public figures at all until they were 21, then none of my damn business as long as the secret service says it's ok.

Perhaps your meaning of respect differs from the Bushs'? I'm apparently not seeing where there's any problem with being a public figure within the confines of what the Secret Service advises. I'm also equally sure that the girls have some misgivings about the restrictions placed on them. Oh, well. They only have to put up with it for a little over four more years. :ph34r:

For the most part (and admittedly she was younger) Chelsea was not a public figure. She appeared by the side of her father from time to time, but did not actively campaign for him. According to the Yahoo article I cited, the Bush Twins will be actively campaigning. Also, the Vogue gig sends them out of private life and into the public world. They could probably have good careers as models if they wanted to.
quade -

For the most part (and admittedly she was younger) Chelsea was not a public figure. She appeared by the side of her father from time to time, but did not actively campaign for him. According to the Yahoo article I cited, the Bush Twins will be actively campaigning. Also, the Vogue gig sends them out of private life and into the public world. They could probably have good careers as models if they wanted to.

I don't disagree. I just don't see why you have a problem with a father asking for "continued respect" for his daughters. Seems like a reasonable request for a father who loves his daughters to make.

They could probably have good careers as models if they wanted to.

Heh, you know, they have the personalities for it too. I've met them on a number of occasions over the years and I can only think of one single word to really describe their personalities...[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I said it about Kerry's daughter and I'll say it again. Leave them alone. They are not running for office. Yes they put themselves in the public spotlight. So feel free to comment about their Vogue pictures. But don't drag them into political exploitation.

Family business? Bimbo's R US.

Now this logic I do not get. They're both pretty, have had interesting lives so far, they decide to do a pictorial and interview for Vogue; and you call them bimbos. Does this mean that you think the skyladies who said they would consider posing for Playboy in a Bonfire thread to be bigger bimbos?

Don't drag them?!?

'Cuse me, but aren't they dragging themselves into the political arena by stumping for pops?

There should be courtesy extended by the press/paparazzi when it comes to public figure's offspring. Now, the line is drawn in the sand and I believe that Prince William and Harry were both off limits to the paparazzi until they reach(ed) a certain age - I don't recall but let's say 21. both of them stayed below the radar on things that they did etc.
The same courtesy should be extended to the Bush girls if Daddy asks. Now, if the girls decided to put themselves in the public eye (e.g. stumping for dad) all bets are off. They entered the public eye of their own will.
-----
~~~Michael

Well, they -have- had a little bit o' history, well documented, that at one time they were -quite- the party girls.

Just like 97.99992473892% of other recent college grads. :S
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

"Now, if the girls decided to put themselves in the public eye (e.g. stumping for dad) all bets are off. They entered the public eye of their own will."

Thats about the long and short of it Michael. Taking the UK's royal family in your example. Diana was a media darling, when it suited her she loved it, and used it well. Unfortunately the media is a two edged sword, she ulitmately died as a result of media intrusion (conspiracy theories aside), fleeing from the press in Paris led to her untimely death.

If the Bush girls are flirting with the press, Vogue spreads etc, then they are entering that courtship and should be aware of the affect it might have on their lives, and even the presidential elections. I would advise them to be very careful.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

"Now, if the girls decided to put themselves in the public eye (e.g. stumping for dad) all bets are off. They entered the public eye of their own will."

Thats about the long and short of it Michael. Taking the UK's royal family in your example. Diana was a media darling, when it suited her she loved it, and used it well. Unfortunately the media is a two edged sword, she ulitmately died as a result of media intrusion (conspiracy theories aside), fleeing from the press in Paris led to her untimely death.

If the Bush girls are flirting with the press, Vogue spreads etc, then they are entering that courtship and should be aware of the affect it might have on their lives, and even the presidential elections. I would advise them to be very careful.

And they will pay the same attention to your advice as their father did when you warned against his Iraqi adventure.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I do like your sense of humour John, it brightens up an otherwise dull day at the desk.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

But don't drag them into political exploitation.

Don't drag them?!?

'Cuse me, but aren't they dragging themselves into the political arena by stumping for pops?

Quade, I think you are pushing this issue too much. You are asking for someone in the Bush family to think out what they say and try to have it be logical. Honestly, you are out of control. Please, have respect.

Quade, I think you are pushing this issue too much. You are asking for someone in the Bush family to think out what they say and try to have it be logical.

I guess by this comment that your family is more logical, so is your family more successful ? (glass houses)

Honestly, you are out of control. Please, have respect.

You should.

------Have a good one!--------