lawrocket

Should Saddam be Released

I don't know why, but I'm laughing at this...I can't wait to see someone "state the case" for release... :S:P:D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Come on. The war was unfair, wrong, bad intelligence, unjustified, never should have happened, yadda yadda. Dozens of posters here believe that.

If that's the case, then he should certanly not be imprisoned, right?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Come on. The war was unfair, wrong, bad intelligence, unjustified, never should have happened, yadda yadda. Dozens of posters here believe that.

I believe that.

If that's the case, then he should certanly not be imprisoned, right?

No, he should be. He commited crimes against his own people, and they should hold him accountable. Still doesn't mean we should have gone in there to make the arrest.

I vote no, but if they were to release him into skydivexxl's custody in a third world nation where Andy couldn't be prosecuted, I might be enticed to change my vote....
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

No, he should be. He commited crimes against his own people, and they should hold him accountable. Still doesn't mean we should have gone in there to make the arrest.

If you kill someone in your own home (non-self defense related), police can go in there to make the arrest.
Make light!

I voted yes. But first they should make sure that the family members of everyone he tortured, gassed, and killed are lined up outside the door to the prison.

I'll second that motion.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

If you kill someone in your own home (non-self defense related), police can go in there to make the arrest.

So we are the police of the world? Does the rest of the world know and agree with that?

Only when it's convenient to them. Our policy prior to WWII was to stay out of everyone's beezwax. Well, events of the world won't let us. Now the world has to deal with it.
Make light!

Police has jurisdiction, US did not.

We pay the police for their work. I don't see the world paying us. What's the national content of most UN forces? (real question, I have no idea)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

We pay the police for their work. I don't see the world paying us. What's the national content of most UN forces? (real question, I have no idea)

I may be wrong here (if so someone will surely correct me) but I believe that US troops make up very little of any "UN blue helmet" force, if any at all. I think this is due to the US not allowing its armed forces being under command of any foreign generals (and by influence, country).
Make light!

I'll let Dave Chappelle do the speaking as black President Bush,

"To the U.N., I say, if you got a problem with me, you should take your UN Army and attack the US. Oh, but you don't HAVE an Army, which means, you betta just shut the fuck up! Take it! That's right! We'll take YOU out, Khofi, and you'll be using those 16 languages on the streets of New York sellin' BASEBALL CAPS!"

My wife is hotter than your wife.

No.

While I firmly believe the war IS unjust, and that no WMD will ever be found, Sadam clearly is a criminal of the highest order, and I do hope a respected, fair, and just court finds him guilty of the most heinous crimes he's accused of.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I agree with you. Intresting point is that the same lawyer that defended The Jackel and several of his group will also defend SH. This guy is a real scumbag, he would pass information on from Carlos to his group etc. If you ever come across the book called "The Jackel" get it. Intresting look into the OBL of the 60s, 70s and 80s.

I'm not really sure he belongs in U.S. custody after we turn control back over to the Iraqis. Maybe an international court or perhaps the Iraqis themselves, but not really the U.S..
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I may be wrong here (if so someone will surely correct me) but I believe that US troops make up very little of any "UN blue helmet" force, if any at all. I think this is due to the US not allowing its armed forces being under command of any foreign generals (and by influence, country).

I think you are wrong here. At least in Nato, US forces have been under non-US command (AFAIK). Example you had a lot of non-US regional commanders in Europe and in these regions you had US troops.

I also think that during the Balkan interventions (Bosnia and Kosovo) US forces at times were reporting to non-US commanders.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

I'm not really sure he belongs in U.S. custody after we turn control back over to the Iraqis. Maybe an international court or perhaps the Iraqis themselves, but not really the U.S..

Why an international court, but not the US, and only perhaps the Iraqis?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Why an international court, but not the US, and only perhaps the Iraqis?

-
Jim

A case could be made to say that Saddam should be tried by the Iraqis for crimes committed against Iraqis but that he should be tried at the international court for breach of international law and war crimes during the Iran and Kuwait wars.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

I think you are wrong here. At least in Nato, US forces have been under non-US command (AFAIK). Example you had a lot of non-US regional commanders in Europe and in these regions you had US troops.

I also think that during the Balkan interventions (Bosnia and Kosovo) US forces at times were reporting to non-US commanders.

Good point. NATO being a military alliance, and IIRC, Gen. Wesley Clark was the NATO supreme commander during ours, and subsequently NATOs intervention in the Balkans.
Make light!

>Should Saddam Hussein be released?

Only to the new government of Iraq so he can be put on trial there. He tortured and killed Iraqis; they should decide his fate.

Hey, Billvon, we agree on a political issue!! How about that??!!

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.