froggie

Back from ground school

It was a really cool weekend, despite the rain/snow/sleet that we had today. Got to meet grogs and stacy yesterday, so that was really cool. Learned that stacy gets lazy at times (just pack the damn chute girl! :) , but shes a riot. I saw for myself that grogs is a good looking guy, even without the *touchups*. hehe. stacy and grogs know about that one. Beautiful day yesterday, why didnt i schedual Ground school for saturday?
I did get ground school done today. I got to the dz and it was raining. by the time we finished, it was snowing! Damn bad weather. But ground school was really cool. I learned so much , it was a real benifit being the only student there. I was surprised by the amount of things that i already had knowledge of. THANKYOU EVERYONE for teaching me a bunch of different things. Stacy was there today too, so that was cool. Lemme just say, It was cold! and i was very tired.
We did a lot of drilling on the objectives for my first jump. So now im feeling better about that. Actually, a lot of my fears were put to rest. Esp. the ones about being under canopy. As soon as i got home today i went over everything from the "do you want to make a skydive?...." to PFLing my way to safety. Not an easy task cosidering my bedroom is so small :) Cant wait to jump. hopefully one day this week.
OH yeah, im sore as can be from all the arching and all. Weird huh? i didnt even get up there and jump and my arms hurt. Maybe the fact that i lifted uppers last night at the gym contribuated to it? proly.
So ground school is done and over. and i loved every second of it. Gotta wait for it to stop snowing. theyre guessing that it will stop sometime tuesday night. So only 2 1/2 days straight of it snowing. shouldnt be that bad :)
Thanks for the help everyone. much appreciated
the soon to be solo fying frog. :)

Woo Hooo!!1 Congrats and happy b-day Froggie!!

As soon as i got home today i went over everything from the "do you want to make a skydive?...." to PFLing my way to safety. Not an easy task cosidering my bedroom is so small :)

I'm sure your instructors told you this but.... repeat the above as many times as you can before you jump.... you'll be putting the whole skydive into muscle memory and it will totally help make your level one an easy pass!
;)
pull and flare,
lisa
Edited by skybytch on 3/4/01 02:55 PM.

Congrats! I am very excited for you, remembering the feelings I had after my 1st jump course and the jump there after. :) Either way, I am very sure that you are about to have the absolute time of your life. I am very excited for you.
AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

Lisa,
thanks for the tip. Thats what ive been told a lot lately, and it couldnt make more sense. If its natural, then its gonnaa go so much better.
Aggiedave,
hello. Thanks for the tip. the weird thing is, i feel oddly calm about this. I guess because i was nervous because i didnt know how things were supposed to go down. Now there isnt much wondering anymore. I know the routine, now its just a matter of getting really use to it and it becoming a natural thing. I am so gratefull that i was the only student and that there were two really experienced skydivers teaching me. I got really lucky on that one.
Skyhawk,
My next jump will be a solo jump., with one JM. Its my first IAF jump. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and i can do it this week. hopefully.
alright all, thanks for all the help. ill be sure to let ya all know how the first jump goes.
froggie

Congratulations on the ground school!! The jump will be great you already have some freefall time so I am sure you will nail it. My only advice is do the jump 1000 times in your mind and when the time comes just breath and relax. It is kind of like a first date with someone you really like. If you just relax it will be great stress will only make it less fun.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Safe landings
Albatross

Good stuff, Frogger... glad to hear all is well so far. And Happpy Birthday to You, happy birthday... well, you get the idea. Lookin' foward to hearing how your level one goes. Oh ya, I was pretty sore after my first day of doing a real arch ... don't worry -- before long it will be second nature to you!
Frank

Congrats froggie!
I know how you're feeling. I was so psyched to get my own rig on my back. I'm sure you'll do fine.
I'll just leave you with some advice that my instructor always gave me right before jump time: "Relax and smile!" :)------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Froggie-
Congrats on the ground school.. Too bad you couldn't jump today.. From what I understand, you guys are going to be getting dumped on for a few days up there - and then will probably spend a week digging out.. I used to live in Ohio - I hate the snow.. That's why I moved to Florida.. B| Just go over the dive in your mind many times between now and then.. Since you've already done a couple tandems, you should do great.. Just relax and don't let it frustrate you if things don't go perfect.. I also recommend reading the articles posted here on DZ.com regarding Cypres and RSL(my FJC sure didn't cover these in any detail - it's good to be familiar with how they work and what they will and will not do), emergency situations, etc.. Most emergencies are cut and dry - not much interpretation beyond the "can I land this" question.. Two canopies out, however, is one that I've found most people don't understand very well - possibly because there are 3 different situations and different courses of action for 2 out situations..
And of course.. Happy Birthday! How old are ya now?
Mike

Aviatrr
thanks for the advice man. Im actually planning on hitting the dz one of these really crappy days this week. Theres enough staff there regularly that I could sit around picking somebodys brain all day.
Actually, I already know who i want to talk to. Hes the perfect guy. He lives at the dz, has years of jumping behind him, and can teach me to pack.. So if i do get out there, it looks like ill have a really good learning day. Hmmm. might have to call him tomorrow. The way that I see it now, skydving is gonna cost me some major $ and a few extra dollars for a packing lesson (if he even charges me) wont hurt the wallet too much.

Thanks for the happy birthdays from all of you guys. :) Btw, Im 20 now mike, and feeling kinda old. Im already starting to not want the bdays to come around. :( hehe.
froggie

Charge for a packing lesson? Crap, I know that many different people have taught me many different things at the DZ (packing was one of them;)) just because they're skydivers, they love the sport and honestly care (want to help). I'm not a skygod by any stretch of the imagination, but I know I really enjoy helping people out at the DZ when I can. Usually with a ton of the stuff that I was taught (besides actual JMs for jumping, etc.) I would just bring a case or two of beer to the DZ that night and everyone would be happy. :)AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

Froggie,
Zennie just gave ya' the best tip I know about. SMILE. Ya' can't hardly tighten up if you smile. I remember my friends and my JM telling me that (yeah, I know I'm old but I DO remember SOME things) and they were right on the money.
Triple F

Thanks for the happy birthdays from all of you guys. :) Btw, Im 20 now mike, and feeling kinda old. Im already starting to not want the bdays to
come around. :( hehe.

Don't worry about it. I think the worst is when you hit like 26. You can't really claim to be in your mid 20's anymore. 29 really sucks 'cause you're almost 30. After you hit 30, you just don't care anymore. You might even take up dangerous hobbies, like skydiving. :)

Congrats on getting through ground school froggie, and have a blast :)one thing, first AFF with one instructor? when i hopefully do mine in spain it will be one tandem, 3 jumps with two JM's and 2 with one. this is slightly different course?
Anyway, have fun up there for me two, aching to get back into the skies, did my last jump 5 sec freefall way back when in August. Anyone else find that they sit there on a day of blue skies just staring at it, and working out where'd they'd be facing for landing and stuff?, hell i've only done 14 jumps!! :)Ed

Btw, Im 20 now mike, and feeling kinda old. Im already starting to not want the bdays to come around. :( hehe.

That's pretty funny. You at least have one more birthday to look forward to (21). If you're like me, you'll probably quit drinking after you hit 21. :P I'm actually a bit older than that if you can believe it. You're probably young enough to be able to tell, but I usually still get carded buying cigarettes (well I did until I quit a couple of months ago).

Hes the perfect guy. He lives at the dz, has years of jumping behind him, and can teach me to pack.. So if i do get out there, it looks like ill have a really good learning day. Hmmm. might have to call him tomorrow.

Whew. For a second I thought you were going to get Stacy to show you how to pack. Try as she might, she just couldn't get her telekinetic powers going to pack that chute. I really wish there had been some AFF students there this weekend. They couldn't have helped but be confused by 4 people standing around a parachute and just staring at it.
Blue skies!
Grogs

The way that I see it now, skydving is gonna cost me some major $ and a few extra dollards for a packing lesson (if he even charges me) wont hurt the wallet too much.

I have taught a few people to pack, but have never tried to charge anybody.. I guess I can, in a way, understand when an instructor charges somebody - it's their way to make a living.. I don't like it, though.. On those days that I can't jump, or those nights after jumping ends, I don't mind helping somebody out.. I think most jumpers feel that way.. Hey, just don't let anybody to teach you how to pack on free beer night.. ;) You may also want to consider buying one of those packing videos.. That way you will have something to keep at home that you can refer to if you go a while without packing..

Thanks for the happy birthdays from all of you guys. :) Btw, Im 20 now mike, and feeling kinda old. Im already starting to not want the bdays to come around. :( hehe

Damn, 20? You're over the hill.. Just give it up now.. In another couple months, you'll be too old to enjoy skydiving.. Within 6 months you'll need a walker.. May as well buy a big ole' tank of a car, dye your hair blue, and move to Florida right now.. :D Hell, you still have at least one more birthday to look forward to.. It's a big one.. After my next birthday, on the 28th of this month, I'm just gonna quit having bdays then.. I'll be a good age, and I refuse to get any older.. Hey, my car insurance goes down this year.. About damn time.. The insurance guys really screw the 'under 25 unmarried male' category.. Hey, pretty soon I'll be able to order from the Senior's menu at resteraunts.. Anybody seen that AARP application?
Mike

see but the time it didnt' take me 3 hours to pack look what happened. always remember to set your brakes. =c) and who didn't buy their beer this weekend? I took my case for my downplane...
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

see but the time it didnt' take me 3 hours to pack look what happened. always remember to set your brakes. =c)

What happened? Just a slow opener, or did you get a streamer? Congrats on the downplane.. I've been wanting to try some CReW, but haven't done it yet.. My canopy isn't quite designed for it, so I may have to bum a Lightning from somebody for a few days.. I hear they have a CReW school out here at DeLand - I may go pay them a visit soon..
Mike

At the danger of sounding pretty childish: ME TOO :)

Ok, ok.. I get the point.. I'm an old fart.. Well, hell.. I already live in Florida.. I guess now I just need to start driving 35mph in the fast lane.. :D
The 21st is a big one.. After my 21st birthday, I started getting carded for booze.. Before I was 21, I rarely got carded....but after turning 21, I got carded all the damn time.. Kinda strange.. Hope ya have a good party on your 21st.. I know I'll never forget my 21st bday.. ;)
Damn, this group is just a bunch of young'uns.. Now where's that damn AARP application?
Mike

Froggie:
Congratulations and Happy Birthday my little green friend!!
Remember once you land, don't forget to run back to the hanger yelling, "can I do it again?" with the biggest smile you have plastered all over your face!!
Hope this snow, sleet and freezing rain lets up so you can fly soon!!
Divadiver