skybytch

broken body at Perris

This morning at Perris a jumper with 40 jumps flying a Spectre 150 was coming in on a straight in approach when he inexplicably performed a hard toggle turn way too low. He hit the ground at the same time as his canopy. Both legs were broken and his face and head were badly injured. He was helicoptered out. Last I heard he was still alive but they weren't sure he'd make it.
Please... be careful this weekend!
pull and flare,
lisa

Oh man. Here's to hoping he makes it through.
Question.
I've run into turbulence on final approaches and it's kind of disquieting. Can turbulence create a stall that will cause the canopy to act like you put it in a hard toggle turn?
I have to wonder how many people have done low toggle turns trying to compensate for turbulence, but only making the situation worse. I'm not saying that happened here, but people just don't start hitting the toggles for no reason.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Hope the jumper at Parris gets through this alright.
To answer Zennie's question (somewhat). I do not have alot of expierence with turbulance myself. A little chop from rising warm air off of fields is about it. I can tell you that turbulance can collapse a canopy in the right conditions. Sometimes flying with a little brakes can help, but from what I have heard some canopies just dont fly in turbulant conditions well at all.
Craig

I was at Perris this morning and both saw the incident and helped respond to help the man. The injuries were bad. At least one broken leg and facial fractures likely. However, when we got him on the helicopter out he was concious, somewhat responsive and MOVING. The last report that I got was that he had regained conciousness and was alert and responding to his doctors. The outlook was serious but optimistic. All our hopes and prayers go out to him and his friends and family.
Safe landings

Oh, I'm sorry you had to see that albatross. Thanks for the info, mine was secondhand and it's good to hear from someone who was there.
Shark, I don't know the wind loading. Was wondering that myself. But like others have said, you can hurt yourself on any canopy at any wingloading by starting a turn too low.
pull and flare,
lisa

turbalance can be pretty bad trust me i know im 110 lbs or something like that why cant the world talk in kg and meters:-) and i fly a 240 student rig so even going over a hot runway screws me up i have been know to do a spiral and acctuly go up . and i have had my canopy colaps on an off dz landing luckily it reinflated just befor i landed but it was f@cken scary. if i had been on a "proper" wingloading i would of been very babdly hurt but cause it was so big i just landed hard (i could probly land it without flaring :-) )

yo Anonymous first why dont u have the balls to post as a registered user. 2 we r kids compared tio most ppl on this bored. 3 what r we doing wrong we r talking about weight vests and weight compared to skydiving this stemed of a post about turbulance which i posted a serious remark to and what we r talking about is seroius to if we r offending others please speak up but i will only listen to registered users.
float mean when im under cannopy i do just that i float to of my mates did a high pull at 9,000 ft i pulled at 3,000 and the left after me . they beat me down by at least a minute.

Poster: OmriMon
Subject: Re: broken body at Perris
i don't care if i descent slow under canopy...
have that affected your abillities in freefall or something?
Free Skies,
Omri

it speads you up so you can keep up with others . the bad thing is it makes the arch easier so u can become very lazy and u should learn how to stay as much as possible with jumpers of all speeds without a vest

it speads you up so you can keep up with others . the bad thing is it makes the arch easier so u can become very lazy and u should learn how to stay as much as possible with jumpers of all speeds without a vest

When I first started jumping I floated on everybody (in freefall). Learned to arch hard and was very proud of the fact that I could keep up with some pretty big guys without a weight vest; I too thought that weights made you lazy.
I found out otherwise when I started jumping with some serious big way RW jumpers (namely my bosses...). I could arch hard enough to stay with them but I was arched so hard that I had nothing left for manuevering. Wearing a weight vest allows me to keep up with the fast fall rate while staying the middle of my "range" - ie still able to pop up or drop down as needed and able to perform turns without floating up.
Whether you like it or not, if you are a featherbutt and you want to do RW you will probably end up wearing weights. A vest or a belt aren't the only ways to carry weight; most container manufacturers offer weight pockets on the rig as an option. Don't forget to add how every many pounds/kg's you'll be wearing to your exit weight when you are deciding on a main canopy size...
pull and flare,
lisa