cloud9

Back in the saddle

Hey Gang
I just have to talk I'm bustin. My last jump was in 1978. That is untill today. I made two jumps today, and I can't get the grin off my face. I know I flared but man I still havent landed. I just don't have the words, but I don't need um with you all, thats what makes this forum so cool. So jump #97 Feb 1978
Jump #98 and 99 March 2001 that's not very current is it? Anyway if the weather holds up I am headed back out tomarrow. I want you guys to know in the last 20 years I have been back to several drop zones and checked things out then when I left I just didn't go back. This time I went to the DZ checked things out and then found you guys, I read and laughed, and really got the fever. You all really helped me see what I was missing. Again I don't have the words...........except to bad your not here the beer's on me.
Larry

Great story, Larry - welcome back home!

to bad your not here the beer's on me.

Didn't Skyhawk tell you? You owe your new friends here cyber beer!!! Let us know how tomorrow goes! I'm at work this weekend, so I need to hear more good skydiving talk...
Frank

Larry, I took a little 7 year break between jumps (with all the usual crap excuses). The fact that you haven't jumped since '78 doesn't matter, the fact that you just *got back in the saddle* is the only thing that does.
As my AFF instructor wrote in my logbook (he was also my SL FTJ instructor in '93) - Welcome back to the sky!!!
Excellent dude!
:)/s

Larry,
Im glad you lost your way, retraced your steps and double backed a few times before you choose the path for you. I know that what i just said was a little corny, yes, but everything else (the trips out to the dz with no return back) only served to make this that more awesome of a day huh? I am so excited for you.. I think that you put it best when you said "i know i flared but i still havent landed". I think thats true for a lot of us. And ya know what? i dont want to land! I wanna stay right where i am. :) Glad that you found us here. Now get out there an jump some more!
froggie

Hey Doasfu
I went through an introduction to all the new gear cause things have changed a bunch. Went through emergencys, cut away and such then out to jump.
The first jump was a hop n pop ( worst exit of my life )
Second jump went to 8,500 I was able to fly stable with no real problems so today out at 10,500 for two jumps and I'm clear. Its kinda like ridin a real big bike you don't really forget, you just get rusty. By my fourth jump I feelin pretty good. Still not near where I was, but every jump gets better.
its a great sport don't ever quit.
Larry

I went through an introduction to all the new gear cause things have changed a bunch.

Forgive my cluelessness if I'm off on my time frame, but when you stopped jumping where squares common yet? Or were you jumping rounds/pcs?
Dan

Poster: Iflyme
Subject: Re: Back in the saddle
Great story, Larry - welcome back home!
In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
to bad your not here the beer's on me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Didn't Skyhawk tell you? You owe your new friends here cyber beer!!! Let us know how tomorrow goes! I'm at work this weekend, so I need to hear more good skydiving talk...
Frank

Sorry mate my time zone is f@cked up so mate u owe beer
Iflyme you r now part of my beer squad
heil beer
heil beer
heil beer

Dan
Squares were not real common, although there were a few out there. The cloud, strato cloud, and the one I jumped the strato star. Just to name a few. To give you an example I was the only square on my DZ everyone else was jumping PC's including the instructors they thought I was a little radical untill one really bad spot, I was the only one who made it back.(guess who was spotting) Then everyone started getting real interested. But they malfutioned a lot more back then, and a reserve ride on a 24ft round non-steerable canopy was not real condusive to good health at worst, and at best a long walk back to the DZ. My only reserve ride I landed like a sack of sh@#$%t nothing serious but I hurt for about 3 days. But this student rig I just jumped did not perform near as good as my strato star.
Some fun eh!
Larry

I just have to talk I'm bustin. My last jump was in 1978. That is untill today. I made two jumps today, and I can't get the grin off my face. I know I flared but man I still havent landed.

Now there is some added proof that when skydiving is in your blood there is no getting rid of it (and who would want to anyway) Welcome back to the sky!!! :)Tee