Greg

favorite skydiving meals

I was getting ready to head down to the dz this weekend and found myself cooking what has now become my standard pre skydive meal. I had a roughly 2lb Angus cut porterhouse with a baked potato and a few cold ones to wash it down. Not sure why, but this is becoming a sort of ritual, almost like a "potential" last meal or something. I was wondering if anyone else has a favorite/standard type meal before a weekend at the dz?

Yummmmm! I have started to have steak the night before I jump too. During the week I try to eat less red meat as I am aging. But the night before I jump my mind goes' "Why the hell not. I am taking more of a risk in the morning. So Enjoy!"

If I do eat at all its usually some quick leftovers I can throw in the microwave, especially on Sunday Morning. My problem then becomes skipping lunch, and chowing the F**k down at dinner and going to bed-LOL- My new diet consists of multiple small meals throughout the day, trying to eat aas little as possible in the eevening at least a few hours before carashing, which is no small feat!-LOL
D.Chisolm C-28534
[email protected]
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

Oh good, I'm not the only one!!!! Every AM on my way to the DZ I stop at the Uncle Willies right down the road from me and get a Tastycake Coffeecake Jr. and a Diet Sprite. Nothing phenomonal, but I had been doing it for monthes before I really realized it. Now it has become something of a tradition. I don't usually eat lunch there, so much to do I normally just plum forget, but when I get home there better be nobody between me and the kitchen!!!!!!!
Jeji

This probably isn't very politically correct, but red meat is probably one of the best things you can eat before skydiving. Red meat contains iron attached to a heme group and also coenzyme Q and B vitamins, all of which help your body use oxygen more efficiently, which is very important at high altitudes.
(On a less scientific level, its traditionally believed that red meat also makes you brave!)
Speed Racer
"Blue Skies, Red eyes, Sore thighs!"

I eat a skydiver special (bacon, egg & cheese sandwich) with a liberal dose of hot sauce to cure the hangover, a V-8 to get some nutrients, and bottle of water to rehydrate myself.
I saw a pretty interesting thing while I was down in Sebastian. One of the guys was drinking slimfast. He was pretty thin so he was drinking it to get his nutrients throughout the day so he didnt have to stop jumping. Thought that was pretty odd, efficient, but odd.
"I'll jump anything!"

I remember the first time I went to the DZ for my tandem jump. There were these guys sitting around eating hamburgers. I mean these things had to have at least a half pound of burger on them. It was just before 8:00 a.m. and all I could think was "how the hell do they keep that stuff down and jump?"
Later when I started AFF, by 8:00 a.m. I was pulling into the DZ with a two ham and cheese croissants and a 24 oz. cup of java starting my day!!
Divadiver

I love red meat, as long as its not attatched to me, hee hee. I usually try to eat as much as possible the night before because I know with the combination of nerves and excitement, there is no eating for me at the dz. Its usually coffee, water, and an ocasional red bull at the dz until Im done jumping, and then coors lite until......bed I guess. I just hope we can stop the foot and mouth thing before I have to try eating a salad or something the night before!!
Good to hear there is a benefit to eating steak before jumping, now I can use that as my excuse instead of the "potential last meal" thing.

pre skydiving (aka 7 AM in Manifest) the DZO usually brings all us early morning office people a big 24 oz coffee, I'll usually eat a cheese and tomato bagel melt too. Then I usually get so busy I don't eat until after sunset load, which means pizza (cuz it's free) on Sat and Sushi ideally on Sunday. mmm sushi...
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

Hi y'all,
"What's Falafel?" Hmmm... we may never care... KNOW!! I meant know!
Anyway, skydiver meals. I suppose that the main qualification for a meal for a skydiver (at least on a "DZ Day") has to be speed. A leisurely meal may be consumed while there's no jumping, but once the jump program starts then I'd be surprised to see a skydiver ingesting anything that takes longer to order & consume than it takes for a packer to do a repack. "Wasted time is WASTED ADRENALINE!!" Yep.. A new Mikism!:P
If I could work out how to do one of those poll thingys it would go something like:
"What do you ingest while on a days jumping at a DZ?
1. Coffee only.
2. Tea.
3. Soda/juice/energy drinks.
4. Liquids only.
5. Anything I can throw down my neck in under 30 secs.
6. Anything I can throw down my neck between exit & deploying.
7. A light 7 course lunch of hors d'ouvres, soup, fish, entree, main, dessert, cheese & biscuits & coffee, all washed down with some nice Chablis or Zinfandel (skydiving? what's skydiving?)!
But I can't do polls - my idea of tech support for this computer is to sacrifice a goat every moonless night (pretty frequent considering the amount of cloud we get here)... Yeah... Scotland, where men are men and GOATS are nervous!
Mike D10270.

whats falafel?

It's made from ground chick peas and fried. Really good. Try a Greek restaurant.
YOU PEOPLE APPALL ME! No just kidding. I'm a vegetarian, though, and the thought of eating a huge chunk of red flesh right before skydiving makes me ill.
It is important to eat SOMETHING, though...I was nervous about my last recurrency jump recently and didn't eat anything beforehand, and hadn't really eaten the day before, either. I realized under canopy that I was hypoglycemic, which in me manifests as disorientation and crying jags. So there I was, trying to set up to land, steering with shaking hands. That scared the living crap out of me. Disorientation and skydiving don't mix.
So y'all eat those steaks while you can! Foot and mouth disease will get them all eventually anyway...hee hee. ;)
Oh, and I don't mean to make light of F&M disease. It's a horrible thing for all involved, including the animals.

Hmm...well, I have started drinking Whey Protein drinks in the mornings even during the week to get my protein that I usually wouldn't get since I don't eat a lot of meat (just cuz I'm dieting...I'm not a vegetarian). Since I've started doing some weights in the evenings during my workout and am trying to build some muscle, I need more the the veggies and rice I mostly eat now. Plus the energy helps on skydiving days.
I'm with the rest of em tho..it's basically whatever I can gulp down quickly, if anything at all. On one hand it's great for the diet cuz I don't really care if I eat and sometimes get naseous if I do anyway since my nerves are on edge, but then we all usually go out to dinner Saturday nights and I eat really badly...oh well. :) Subway seems to be a general fav also of everyone at our DZ.
Pammi

Ditto. Usually try to get as much down at breakfast as I can cause I often forget lunch since it is the last thing on my mind if there is jumping to be done. Watch out though when I get home in the evening...a beeline for the fridge and there better be something good in there!
Craig

Jessica wrote:
It is important to eat SOMETHING, though...

This seems to be important, even though I often skip out when jumping. I was suprised when I started jumping how the chemical rush can bring you down. I can make as little as three jumps and come home in the evening and chow down and I'm ready to crash. Were talking like 9:30 or 10:00 in the evening if I don't hang at the DZ. I usually crash at about 12 or 1 in the morning if I didn't jump and it's the weekend.
Craig

you know what the worst part is??? say you make 3 jumps in the morning and you get put on a weather hold. That is the worst thing that can happen to me because I dont want to start drinking because there may be jumping left, but I am so beat that I feel like I have to take a nap. Thats one of the worst things that can happen to me. No jumping = No adrenalin = Crash. Although I always seem to get a second wind when the beer starts to flow. I haven't quite figured out why that happens.
"I'll jump anything!"

I can make as little as three jumps and come home in the evening and chow down and I'm ready to crash.

Man, this is me to a "T". I only need a couple of jumps and on the ride back home I start feeling The Crash coming on. This past Sunday I came back from the DZ, went out to eat with some friends and had to lay down on their couch at like 9:00 just to rest.
Every time I jump I'm completely wiped out about an hour later.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie