notyetstarted

Is AFF harder for the big guys

a lil beer belly. Does this make it harder for stability?

I must say, from my own limited experience, that skydiving may well be the only time you'll be happy to have that belly. The sucker should keep your center of gravity right where you want it to be, and make stablity a but easier. :)

a lil beer belly.

hehe. youre gonna fit right in! lol . we like beer. beer is our friend :)
welcome to the threads! Im kelly, just one person who will soon come to be a part of your extending family :) now tell us a little about yourself.
froggie

I'm exactly 210lbs and 5'11". I whizzed thru AFF much quicker than the floaty guys I know - I put it down to more weight - more inertia - more control (my bit of self delusion - but hey it works).
I was concerned when I started to skydive that I would be too heavy to fly with other who were weighing in at 170llbs. I couldn't have been more wrong.
I don't have much experience flat-flying, so I still struggle on the bigger ways, but if I'm just 1 on 1, I'll just hold on to the skinny wretch until I can level myself off (only joking Ivan)!
However, for freeflying I feel I have a distinct advantage, esp. in transitions or cartwheels, where you lose your more streamlined position. I find keeping up the speed relatively easy where some of my lesser experienced friends just cork and lose the pack.
I also feel I have much more control in speed. From a slow sit, I can fall around 140mph and in a head-down do way over 200.
All in all, as long as you aren't particularly heavy, or particualrly light, you wont find difficulty in having fun and keeping up with the rest.
Later, Rob
btw - buy a dark coloured jumpsuit - I bought a yellow one first and shadows are not a good thing :-)

no,aff is easier for the bigger people.it's very hard for smaller people,wearing large student gear,which has a lot to do with the freefall spinning problem.
i've done aff for 6 yrs now and the bigger guys are definitely easier from an instructors point of view.
it does get a little tougher,when you graduate to the bigger ways tho.go for it.
des

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone, I was just worried that the belly would put me in a spin (like a backspin on your stomach). Well I am going to go do my first in 3 weeks, have to wait for the tax return so I have enough to go thru all the levels (hopefully once). So if any of you are in Colorado you should come by.

I guess it's unanimous that it's easier for bigger people but I didn't experience any stability problems either at 5'7", 122 lbs. I think, as always, it has to do with relaxation, no matter how big or small you are. Even if you have that extra belly to keep you stable as they said, you still need to be relaxed. You'll love it so have fun!
Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

I don't think the weight is that big of a factor for your AFF dives. The JM's have hundreds or thousands of jumps, and they do a normally do a great job of staying with the students. It'll probably be more of an issue when you get off student status and you're jumping with other jumpers who aren't as good at matching fall rates as the AFF JM's, but that can be fixed with the right combination of arching, weights, and jumpsuits.

i'm 5' 10'' and I had no problem going through AFF...although I'm lengthy so they said that's why I'm a floater, BRUCE please refrain from why you think I float...yes we all know implants stay afloat in water, but this air lol. They tried to say I either needed to arch way more, which I already arch already, and actually on the ground I can bring my feet all the way to my head while in the arch thing, oh yeah flexablility is a must to get some of those positions lol. Anyways, they said maybe weights i said yeah freakin right...lol do I have a point? No I'm not 5'11' and no beer belly, thanks but I like seeing my abs alot lol but no you shouldn't have a problem in AFF whatsoever...unless you don't have any common sense, then you're screwed
**BLUE ONES**
BITE ME.... :P

I don't know what I qualify as but I am 6'1" and weigh about 170. I am what you call a floater (lots of surface and not much mass). AFF was not hard for me mostly because I have a good feel for my body (I know the comments are coming). I have always been an athlete and that seems to really help. Just try to get the jumps close together and listen to what the JM has to say you will be fine.
Blue Skys and Safe Landings
Albatross

At 6'2" and 278 lbs, the only special challenge I faced during AFF was landing. But I had serious difficulty with coach dives as even the big boys had trouble flying with me while I was still giving each jump a "good hard arch". It took me extra time to learn how to fly flat before I was able to concentrate on other skills.
FallRate

Just based on personal experience, I don't think weight has everything to do with what makes someone a "floater" or not b/c at 5'7", 122lbs, most would peg me for a floater but I actually fall pretty fast (for my size.) Obviously I still need to wear weights sometimes to keep down w/ my group but when I fly w/my boyfriend who is 5'10", 160 lbs, I haven't ever had to wear weights (although my rig is bigger than his tiny purse he wears on his back.) It also could have to do with the fact that my freefly suit has very little drag on it. Who knows? My point is just that weight is not everything. Body position plays a role too. My AFF 1 I over-arched big time and like someone else mentioned, I could have touched my feet to my head and I fell very fast. My JM told me to de-arch some and on AFF 2 my fall rate was much different and my body positions in a much more natural arch. There are so many factors that play into fall rate:
Body type
drag on jumpsuit
body position, ext.
Now that I've said that, I have a question. I know that on the ground, muscle weighs heavier than fat, but what about in the air? Does that effect your fall rate?
Much love and blue skies,

BRUCE please refrain from why you think I float...yes we all know implants stay afloat in water, but this air lol

That's funny Playmate :) They keep telling me that my spin must be from one breast being bigger then the other. (They aren't!) LOL!
Pammi

It was only a matter of time..........Pammi, Carrie, and Marissa chime in and the thread quickly degenerates into a new sequence filled with sexual innuendo.........(good job !)
I'm 6'1", 220, and fall at around 130mph (belly to earth). When I was a student, my JMs sometimes couldn't keep up with me in freefall (and they refused to try while tracking), and they told me I might have trouble with RW at first, until I learned to "float" a little. All I have to do is dearch a little, and bring my arms down, and it slows me down nicely. Also, try jumping in sweats instead of a suit.
The PLF Chairman

He he he....girl's just like to have fun, PLFKING.
Pammi, you crack me up girlie!:D If you're really brave, you could just reach down and feel for yourself and then say "I was just wondering why you keep spinning. I see why now." HA HA HA HA!
Well guys, I'll have to check back with you later, I'm off to the pool in this freezing rain to coach swimming. I am a warrior of the elements! If only there were a little lightning to help me get out of it....oh well, I really do love my job:)Much love and blue skies,

"Pammi, you crack me up girlie! If you're really brave, you could just reach down and feel for yourself and then say "I was just wondering why you keep spinning. I see why now."

Hey, hey, hey now.... let's keep it clean girl. Don't need to give her any bad ideas!!! lol ;)
"Peace & Blue Skies!"
Merrick

Now that I've said that, I have a question. I know that on the ground, muscle weighs heavier than fat, but what about in the air? Does that
effect your fall rate?

The effect is the same in the air as on the ground. However, fat people tend to be more aerodynamic because they are round (especially if they have a beer belly) so the drag force pulling up is less while the force of gravity pulling down is greater.
At these speeds your drag force is normally porportional to your speed squared. The biggest factors in calculating your drag are area (mostly your upper body), slickness of your suit, and how square your body looks to the wind.
So what makes you fall faster?
1. slippery/tight suit
2. more weight for the area you present to the wind
3. curviness (beer gut or big breasts)

Back home about seven years ago I used to fly with what they called themselves in Canada the "fat boys" trust me you may fall like a tool box but that's a good thing, put the man in base. Keep up the fall rate.
Sorry It's me boo, forgot to sign in after too many beer shouldnot have bought a 24, should have bought two 24s. lol