megamalfunction

My Canopy Turns 20 Next Year, When Should I Retire it?

My Triathlon 160 turns 20 next year (manufactured in 1996) and I'm wondering when I should retire it. I purchased the canopy in 2010, and in 2011 sent it to Aerodyne for a reline and a test jump. So the line set is in good shape, and the canopy flies well, but it is still about to be 20 years old. What do you guys think?

*My Container/Reserve was manufactured in 2002, so I'm not worried about it quite yet.

My Stiletto has a similar pedigree. Since I jumped a 40-year-old round and container a year or so ago at an old farts' skydiving reunion, you can imagine I'm not worried about the canopy age :)
I.e. It's not the age, it's the miles

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

150 jumps in 9 years? so by next year you should have 16 more jumps on it, lets say 20 jumps just incase you decide to get a little crazy. how well do you treat your gear? do you leave it in your closet or in your trunk? if the canopy is in good condition as of now then one more year sitting in a closet shouldn't have much more effect on the structural integrity. any cheapo canopy I've ever owned have been almost 20 years. id only look at the dom if you are buying or selling. after that just have it inspected by a rigger and if you don't like what the say then take it to another one.

Canopies like that are generally good for over 2000 jumps. As long as it's has been cared for properly, especially kept out of the sun, and re-lined as needed. Age is not relevant.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

WARNING!
The secret clockwork mechanism in the tail pocket will lock up after 20 years plus 1 day.
A Master Rigger might have the special key to un-lock the tail pocket, but you would be much wiser and safer to deliver it to your nearest Master Rigger in a triple-sealed bio-waste bag, so that he can pass it on the National Bio-Waste Administration for ecologically friendly de-activation and disposal.
Chances are, the cheap bastard will put another thousand jumps on it before he tosses it in the trash!
Hah!
Hah!
Hah!

lol @ riggerbob. Well, thanks for all of the replies. In 2011 I sent the canopy in to Aerodyne for a new lineset & test jump. Aerodyne said the canopy was fine when when they sent it back, and I've only put around 80 jumps on it since then. So I suppose it will be okay to jump for another 2 years until I can afford a new one.

What does the topskin on the center cell look like?

Good? Fair? Poor?

That's the part of the canopy that takes the most abuse.
If it's in decent shape, don't worry about it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo