SpeedRacer

Sticking it to the US fuel companies

So, Dutchboy, that is
really cool that you can jump that a lot and make a small dent in the pollution. If you want, send yer bird over to IN

OK, send me a certified check for $500,000 and it will be on it's way. :)I know you can't really control what planes are used at your DZ, that is mostly a function of jump activity. I was just saying that we are really using the vehicle, not running a huge vehicle that is almost completely empty.

I hear you SpeedRacer. I sat down and ran thru some figures last week and decided my '99 Jeep TJ must go. I am replacing it with a VW Golf GLS 1.8T. Each time I drive to and from the DZ I will "earn" a free jump. It is kind of funny because the day before my first jump I went to a Jeep club meeting and was planning on joining AND THEN SKYDIVING HIT ME LIKE A TONS OF BRICKS. My budget can only handle one cash draining hobby. Bye Bye Jeep, Hello Mirage G3 etc....
I think you should add BP Amoco to your boycott list. Sir John Browne the BP CEO helped to cause this problem by closing down exploration and reducing production in 1999. Actually Congress allowed the oil co.s to merge which reduced competition too.

The beauty of a FREE COUNTRY is. You don't have to need it, you only have to be willing to work for it and you can have nearly anything you want.

Well put, for the most part I agree, but I would disagree in this particular case because the implications affect so many. There is a little thing called consideration when you are dealing with the public in general terms. Besides, I sure am sick of sitting in my vehicle for well over an hour each way, each day, because the roads are full, litterally, clogged with these huge SUV's with only one occupant. I could certainly understand the purpose of the SUV, but lets try to keep it in context, if you dont haul around enough people to justify the freakin vehicle capacity, or drive off road on a daily basis, then there are some really nice cars or light trucks that are every bit the status symbol if thats what you have to have, if it means that much to ya, but are a little more friendly to the environment, and not such a burden on your fellow citizens. I just recently parked my 71 GTO, which with a 455 cid motor, used alot of gas, I was burning anywhere between $80.00 to $120.00 a month in gas alone. I now drive a 2001 Ford Ranger with a little 4 banger, which only burns $40.00 a month. Plus I carpool every day, have for years.
Fuel is a limited resource, personally, I would like to see it last at least as long as I do.
I certainly would not want someone to tell me I could not jump because there is not enough gas to get the planes off the ground just so a concited few can ride around in thier oversized status symbols.
Greg A-37958

And now that clown Chaney has said that the environment comes second to a healthy economy

This is the first I've heard of this. But I'd be interested in finding out the context that it was made in.
I'm a big supporter of environmental regulations because there is absolutely 0 economic incentive to minimize impacts on the environment. But regulations, just like anything else, can be taken way too far. If he's saying that the environment should always take a backseat to the economy, I agree that's just asinine. If he was talking about regulations that have a minimal impact on cleaning up the environment but major impacts on the economy, I'd agree with him.
As far as the environmental impacts of Otters vs SUVs, I think the Otters really are a proverbial drop in the bucket. I mean, we have 3 Super Otters flying in the Houston area, as opposed to 10s of thousands of SUVs. I seriously doubt that tha smog that I have to deal with every morning on my drive to work is caused by skydiving. :P
I know this is kind of cynical, but we can't destroy the earth or life on it. No matter what we do (short of driving the planet into the Sun), something will come back & thrive. Life works that way. Still, if we as a species are to stupid to realize that we're killing ourselves, then maybe we deserve to go the way of the dinosaurs. <>
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

I agree with a lot of what you said about SUV's but I don't think people buy them as a status symbol. SUV's aren't really "cool'. People buy them because they have a bunch of children.
I'm still single, but when my older brother and his wife had a baby, I couldn't believe how much crap that kid required. When they'd go on a long trip my brother and his wife would have a medium-sized suticase each, but the entire rest of the station wagon would be packed to the roof with baby paraphenalia. I couldn't believe it. You've got the car seat, play pen, stroller, high chair, and God knows what else. It filled the entire friggn station wagon! How could such a small person need so much stuff?
In the old days you'd just stuff the kid in a papoose and that would be all you'd need.
Speed Racer
Brew Skies

I understand that fuel prices are higher in Europe due to heavy government taxation

We pay 86% tax. Enuff said.
It's over £4 for a gallon now. that's over $6
(ps if i got gallon and litree the wrong way around, flame away, but it costs my dad £40 to fill his cavalier, that's about $65)
Ed

Well I knew I was going to start a land slide. However humble Frank GM is not #1 in America. Microsoft is Yeah Bill Gates.
As for the rest. The most used word in this thread is I. As said before there are a lot of people out there that don't see any need for skydiving. Its a recreational sport and we use a lot of fuel. Now you may say we plane pool. But the fact is there is no reason to be there in the first place other then pure amusement. Now I'll use the I word. I sure as hell hope that some vegetarian, bicycle riding, save the world, grow what you consume, consume what you grow, bimbo/bimbet can't dictate what the rest of do. Or we'll all be on the beach on Sundays trying to shove some dumb ass whale back in the water cause he chased a squid in to close. Or for you inlanders you'll be out watching some bald Eagle fly around shoving it in your face that your stuck on the ground. Live and let live. As for them affecting the rest of us. Well we all effect each other daily. Your plane ride, your ride to the DZ. Pollutes the air and uses so called precious fuel. Which by the way we have plenty of. It just cost more to get it out of the ground in the US then we can buy it for from the Arabs. And isn't that what this threads all about cost? Preach what you live and live what you preach. I'm done.
Except I know this weekend I'm gonna burn as much fuel as I can and love every moment of it.
Sorry some times I can be a bit an ass (but of course I enjoy doing it)
George W and Dick C I'm proud to say got my vote. Let the Games begin
Some fun eh!

when my older brother and his wife had a baby, I couldn't believe how much crap that kid required

BWAaaaaaahahahahaha, yeah man, I remember those days. lol, Yeah, babies, car seats, strollers, diaper bags, toys, food, cripes its like an expidetion to Everest!!! Babies do make you carry all kinds of "stuff" you would not normally need to haul around, even for short trips. But, I would not think twice about it, if I saw an SUV loaded with people or "baby paraphenalia" or other cargo for that matter, then no big deal. But far too often, that just is not the case, 9 times out of 10 its a big ole SUV with one person in it, and no cargo, going slow in the fast lane, talking on the cell phone, with the blinker on.
Please dont misunderstand me, I am very much into personal freedom, but when others selfish actions start impacting me personally, then, well.......

Hey cloud9
Get your facts straight : Forbes 500 ranks Microsoft at 22 and General Motors at 15. In terms of market value General Electric is bigger than Microsoft.
So, do you know where over one third of the world's tailpipe emmissions of CO2 originate from? Do you really care where your Nikes got made and by who?
But I should probably be careful what I say to you, because you probably own lots of guns and have a lifetime membership to the NRA.
/s
PS the fact that dubya and DICK got so many votes is one of the things that scares me about the states (that and seeing the hotel's 'eat all you can' breakfast buffet in Vegas)

BTW....Its not just SUV's either........Has anyone ever wondered why....
Here are a few more I cant understand:
Cops driving around in Crown Royals, and Caprice Classics!!! Jeeeze, does it really have to be a big ole luxury car? Cant they get around in a Geo, or a Honda or something more economical! Not to mention, I see more and more, cops driving around in the police cruiser conducting personal business, or enjoying a day off. WTF over!! My tax dollars go to support that activity, if thats the way its gonna be, then use tax dollars to provide cars to everyone!!
I see, more and more, Department Of Transportation (DOT) vehicles traveling around on weekends or after business hours. It states plainly right on the freakin door "For Official Use Only" yet somehow, state workers seem to be allowed to take the "company" car home for the day or weekend and use it as they see fit. Look, I had to buy a car to get around, you should have to do the same!! Just try to get an emmission check or some sort of public service on the weekend or after "normal" business hours, yeah right, you cant because all those yahoos are out joyriding in the "peoples" cars.
The DOT would like me to "get that early modle car off our streets, those old cars cause too much pollution". But how many times have I nearly choked to death behind a big nasty city bus, or dump truck, or trash hauler, spewing out thick clouds of black smoke. Leave my classic car alone, and go fix your freakin busses and other city vehicles!!

George W and Dick C I'm proud to say got my vote.

Hear hear! They got mine too. One reason is because they aren't tree huggers like Nad-er and Bore. Those two guys would outlaw skydiving faster than you can say "jumprun". I pretty much like things the way they are, and it seemed like those two coots wanted to screw it all up!

But I should probably be careful what I say to you, because you probably own lots of guns and have a lifetime membership to the NRA.

Man...if I was Bill Gates (or at least had a joint bank account with him), I would certainly have an arsenal of heavy weapons. What better way to spend a rainy day home from the DZ than going outside and emptying a few magazines from my AR-18??
I guess cloud9 is just looking at who seems to own THE WHOLE COMPANY. Everyone knows Bill Gates is the brains behind MS and is one rich bastard. However, I couldn't name one person that works for GM and no one else in this room does either. They go through head honchos (no offense, Jefe) like Liz Taylor goes through husbands.
And what's up with the Nike thing?!?!?:D
MORE SKYDIVING PHOTOS ADDED!!!
http://home.woh.rr.com/brandonandlaura/

Man...I can't even write fast enough to keep up with this thread!:)

I see more and more, cops driving around in the police cruiser conducting personal business, or enjoying a day off. WTF over!!

No kidding!!! I see so many cruisers parked at officers' houses. That is pathetic! Why do they have the need to drive home their tank with souped up V-8 w/dual exhaust that gets 8 miles per gallon?? Granted, I've seen, ON OCCASSION, a cop driving a regular car around. But I've even seen cop cars with drivers in civilian clothes!! WTF?!?

Get your facts straight : Forbes 500 ranks Microsoft at 22 and General Motors at 15. In terms of market value General Electric is bigger than Microsoft.

Thank You Skeamer, I stand corrected. I was thinking richest individual not company.
My Bad Frank

because you probably own lots of guns and have a lifetime membership to the NRA.

Right on both counts, but hey no fear I've never fired a shot in anger.... well except for the two times.. lets not go there right now:)We love to scare other countries!!! Its the American way.;)
Some fun eh!

So what your really saying is we need to get rid of the cell phones in cars!!!

Some states are prohibiting drivers talking on cell phones. A better solution is for people to use those "no-hands" headsets. I've used them & they're great.
Granted, I prolly look pretty weird talking to no one in particular. :D
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

and emptying a few magazines from my AR-18

Sell it and put the money towards your impending AFF course.

Everyone knows Bill Gates is the brains behind MS

No, that would be Charles Simonyi and Paul Allen (remember what happened to Paul Allen after his sickness layoff?).

And what's up with the Nike thing?!?!?

Familiar with the term 'sweat-shop'?
/s

A Spanish prof of mine used to be a skydiver (D-license with about 500 jumps). He now does not do it because of the pollution and is an avid Nad-er supporter

A true man of honor. I have to respect that. I don't agree with it. But I do respect him.
Mountainman you and I are going to have to be carefull or we'll be starting an international incident!!Ha Ha with all the guns and the politics.:o
Some fun eh!

Cops driving around in Crown Royals, and Caprice Classics!!! Jeeeze, does it really have to be a big ole luxury car?

Yes, b/c they have to have room for the camera crew and director for COPS. :)Seriously, I think they need to have the beeeeeeeeg cars so that when the shit hits the fan, or when the crazy drivers hit the cop, they have more mass to protect them. Also, they have the souped-up (and gas-guzzling) engines so that they can go faster and accelerate faster. Lastly, I think it's a psychological thing -- would you be as respectful of a cop driving Power Wheels, er, a Geo Metro?
Blues, squares,
PTiger

I guess by Bill Gates, I'm talking about the guy who everyone associates with MS. That is UNdisputable...well, unless you dispute it.:)And, yeah, I know what a sweat-shop is. I just didn't understand what it had to do with what you were talking about.
And Moose...here is what the description for THIS forum is:

Whether skydiving related or not - this is the place to make idle chit-chat!

And with that prof who quit skydiving, he talks about how he misses it, but won't go back. He is hopeing to do some wind tunnel stuff sometime instead. He is a really cool guy and never talks down to me for skydiving or anything. We are always talking about it and he always tells me all of his old stories.
He learned to skydive in like Grenada or something and then became the paratroop trainer and so forth. He has some VERY cool stories.

Yes, b/c they have to have room for the camera crew and director for COPS.

Ha ha ha ha ha, that prolly the most correct answer!! lol I believe it. Or they need the extra room to "bring enough donuts to work" lol

Seriously, I think they need to have the beeeeeeeeg cars so that when the shit hits the fan, or when the crazy drivers hit the cop, they have more mass to protect them.

If there werent so many driving those big ole SUV's.......lol
Actually, I would have you look at our European friends. The Police Officers there typically drive smaller, more economical cars, and if Im not mistaken, have pretty good results.

Lastly, I think it's a psychological thing -- would you be as respectful of a cop driving Power Wheels, er, a Geo Metro?

Honestly?, Yes, I have much respect for the police, I respect thier badge as it were, and not so much thier cars. They really do have a "thankless" job, and I will usually go out of my way to be as polite, courtious, and honest with them as I am capable of. If anything, them pulling me over in thier big ole luxury car is prolly gonna piss me off a little more.