ColdDuck

Trouble with AFF

I was just wondering how long it took most of you to go through your training programs. I always seem to get hosed by the weather every time. I now have the nickname of "Almost Shain" because I always almost get to jump or I almost get into the plane.
And on top of that I am still stuck on level 2 my jumpmasters just say that am just forgetting to relax. Does anyone have any hints or ideas on how relaxed during your first few jumps?

while not aff, it took me 18 jumps to do my static line progresion to be cleared off student status. that darn rule where ya have to do your last prcp and first real pull in the same day kept getting me!...give it time. it took me 2 years to get my "A" because of other things in life.....just give it time and everything will work out. you'll do fine!

"if dreams are like movies, then memories are like films about ghosts"-counting crows

I started my AFF's when the WOrld meet was on in Australia. Also at my DZ in Sydney, it poored for 6 weekends in a row so there was no jumping for anyone.
I went through my AFF's pretty quickly and it all came down to a couple of things. Being relaxed, trusting the AFF instructors and being aware of the fact that I myself into this and only I can get myself out. My Aff instructors are very kewl people and it was easy to relax with these guys. Before you gear up next time, go somewhere were there is peace and quiet and go through the jump in your head. Be sure of every movement you are doing in the air. Then after a few deep breaths, get into it and learn as much as you can.
Hope this helps
Harro
IF FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, DON'T TRY SKYDIVING!

it took me 2 years to get my "A" because of other things

Ya, me too, Wingy - I've jumping for more than 3 years, and still haven't hit 100 jumps yet! (Didn't do more than a handful of jumps that first year, but things are picking up - I've done 10 since Friday!)

Besides my two tandems, I was able to go through my AFP training in one weekend, I just happend to have good weather and a J/M that was ready to rock n roll to the next level. However I think my level 7 jump could have almost qualified for a night jump :)jason

My husband and I went through AFF last summer. We took the FJC on Memorial Day Weekend. It was cloudy and we couldn't make our first jump until the next Sunday, June 4th. There was a problem going on with the airport commission and they would only let them use the student landing areas on Sunday. It seemed like every Sunday it rained. (Of course every Monday was gorgeous!) We didn't graduate AFF until August 27th! And that was with neither of us repeating a level.
On relaxing. I, too, found that finding a quiet place and visualizing the whole dive in my head while going through the motions from climbout to deployment to landing really helped.
Good luck!
Blue 1111,
D

About the relaxing thing..I used to 'overthink' everything. I still do that, actually, if I let myself. My JM who helped me get through the last of my progression with coach jumps finally told me to close my eyes and sleep on the way up. I, of course, couldn't get to sleep, but he'd yell at me to shut my eyes if I tried to open them or even peak. LOL! It must have worked! I started doing better and tried actually NOT thinking about things so much. Just the one or two things I was supposed to pass on that jump, or something I was not doing well previously.
It'll come :) It was a difficult progression for me also!
Pammi
"The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live."
http://trak.to/skydivechick

Hey ColdDuck,
I know it's frustrating when you're JMs are telling you to relax all the time and you can't figure out how to do it! I finally had to consciously force myself to do it; I know it sounds like a contradiction, but it works. As soon as I'm out the door and at the bottom of the hill, I do a body scan, meaning that I mentally check what my body is up to. Head up, arms out where they're supposed to be...that's the easy part, you know where you're head is, obviously, and you can see your arms. The tricky part is your legs. Since you can't see your feet, and there's no pressure on the bottoms of them, your brain just forgets that they're there, and so your legs start doing their own thing! Once you force yourself to be conscious of them, you can get them where they're supposed to be. Then you're stable. Once you're stable, it's very easy to relax; you only use what little muscle is required to keep your hips down--the relative wind pretty much takes care of the rest.
Once you get the "relax" thing down, you'll wonder why it was so hard (took me several jumps to figure this out)!
Hope this helps.
blues, zelda

Absolutely baby, visualization is one of the key elements that helped me to relax in the beginning. The other.... BREATHE!!! I can't stress that enough, anytime I had any kind of problem all I'd have to do is take a deep breath & let it out. The best time to do this is right on exit, take a deep breath in as you go over the hill & breathe out just as you settle onto your stomach.... as you breathe out it litterally feels like you sink into the air. It'll feel like there's this giant soft hand just cupping your body.... Once I finally felt that, I haven't had to worry, or even think much about relaxing since.
As for the weather delays, all I can say is "welcome to skydiving!" Pam & I would have graduated a looong time before we did if it weren't for the weather or winds, we had countless weekends where we didn't get to jump at all even tho we hung out at the DZ all weekend! Just be patient, it'll come.... and once you get off of student status you'll be amazed at how much you learn & how fast!
"Grab the grass, it's the bounce that kills!"
Merrick

I was you. I started the weekend before Quincy, then weather, then the plane broke. Had to repeat level 4 once. Was told the same thing. RELAX.
I bombed out, did my PRCP's then shook my hands and arms to make sure I was relaxed. The JM saw this too and took it as me getting more relaxed. I was still a spaz but I managed to pass.

OK, top tip for getting though AFF is.....
BUNK OFF WORK! BUNK OFF WORK! BUNK OFF WORK! BUNK OFF WORK!
It's the only way.....and look at it sensibly...you will be so much more PRODUCTIVE and HAPPY and FULFILLED after you've been for a skydive!
Emma

Look at the doorway, suck some air in through your nose and blow your muscle tension out the door.
Once you are on the step and have eye contact with your instructors, look forward, take a deep breath, blow it out, rock forward and off the plane.
Out in freefall, look at you instructor, suck a full lung full of air in your nose and as you blow it out, feel you belly sag into the arch.
Look at your altimeter and breath.
Look at the horizon and breath.
While you are thinking about your next task, breath in, then let your belly sag into the arch as you breath out.
Do you get the idea?