Keys

Does your Pilot SUCK?

I know it's still early in the season, but our pilot SUCKS! We lease the plane/pilot and we got a new one this year.
It started clearing up Sunday so we called him out to fly. He acted all bothered because he had to come in, looks up and says, you'll only get 1500. So we get in and fly up. Everything broke apart. It was totally blue. At 3 grand he flattens it out and tells us it's jump run. We were like, Let's go up, it's all blue. Then he reaches over and opens the door.
I can understand him being a bit conservative in terms of FAA regs, but what a @#%^. This guy will leave the summer with a zillion hours of twin turbo prop time. He should show a little respect to the people paying him to get those hours.
OK. I feel better.

Our regular pilot is AWESOME. He gets the plane to altitude in a hurry, and he's an expert with the GPS, so the spot is always right on. I still check the spot myself, but if it's anywhere close, I'm going, because he's right a lot more than I am.
We do have other pilots out from time to time when Frank's not available though. I remember one guy we had... It took nearly twice as long to get to altitude, then when we turned in and started the jump run, I could feel the plane shaking and the stall buzzer going off, and that was before anyone had even started climbing out. We had an 8-way going out first, which meant 5 people on the outside of the King Air, so I was cramming as far towards the front of the plane as possible and muttering 'power dude, power' under my breath. Fortunately, the plane didn't stall, but that was by far the most nervous I've ever been on a jump run, with the possible exception of my first jump. ;)

No complaints about the regular pilot(s) at Skydive Chicago. If you get the DZO flying you better check the spot for yourself. Never trust somebody who flies a 2:1 canopy to spot - he can get back from just about anyplace while us mortals land off!

Actually I've been to Skydive Chicago, and yes Roger was at the door. No problems with the spot and the runway really sticks out. It was early spring and one thing struck me, every jump was 12.5 on the dot. You could set your altimeter to it. Do you ever get extra?

Hey Grogs, you mentioned putting 5 people outside of a king air. How the hell did you pull that one off? Was it one of those wide door king airs? Plus, it is possible to stall the plane if everyone crowds the door. This is why its important not to all rush to the back of the plane on jump run.
Safe landings,
Alex D-23912

I agree with Dutchboy...our pilot is very good. We generaly get 13,500 or maybe even better. He is always there since he is the DZO...no having to call him in. He is also a pretty good mechanic which helps.
We have Casa pilots that sometimes come in that are terrible...spot is over a field full of cows in the next county in front of a jet coming from ATL. Spotting from a CASA is fun...how far can you hang off without falling out???

Hey Grogs, you mentioned putting 5 people outside of a king air. How the hell did you pull that one off? Was it one of those wide door king airs? Plus, it is possible to stall the plane if everyone crowds the door. This is why its important not to all rush to the back of the plane on jump run.

We have a regular door (at least it's the same as the door at Cross Keys and Louisa, so I assume it's regular), but we've got a bar on top that runs about 2 feet in front and in back of the door, so the superfront and super rear are actually completely to the side of the door with just a toe in the very corner of the door and the other 3 are able to get into the door frame area by turning towards the front of the airplane. It's possible, but definitely tight as hell.
As for the jump-run, the reason it was scaring me was because we hadn't started moving towards the back of the airplane or climbing out the door and the stall horn was already going off. When the 8-way lined up in the door, I was pushing back towards the instrument panel and pulling the other 5 jumpers not in the group as far forward as they could go. It probably wasn't as bad as it seemed, but we had just had safety day the weekend before and they had talked about how nasty a stall could be on a jump plane, so it was still fesh in my mind.

Oops, missed this one:

and he's an expert with the GPS
You saying there pilots who aren't?????
Think it would be apart of the job desciption

I'm sure there are pilots out there who can't use a GPS, although I haven't encountered it personally. I did hear a story about a load of jumpers who almost got out over downtown Norfolk because the green light came on and it wasn't exactly conditions the FAA would approve of. Fortunately, there was a hole in the 'industrial haze' and someone had the common sense to look down before he jumped out. It turned out the pilot was at his 2nd waypoint, and thought he was at his 3rd (the airport).
As for Frank and the GPS, I guess I would be more accurate saying he's an expert at picking the spot. Most idiots can program a point into the GPS and fly to it, but you still have to figure out the correct ground track and release point to program into it.

JumpPilot who will get a Zillion Hours of Twin Turbo Time

Dude or whatever,
Yeah, skydivers can bitch a lot, but they also pay your fucking salary, however meager. Besides, there are a lot of us who are pilots, probably with more hours than you. There are also ex-military and/or current dudes who would be happy to put some twenty-mike-mike up your ass or drop some iron in your general vicinity. So dude, be happy you are doing what you are doing.
And remember, when shit hit's the fan at altitude, the cargo in the back are wearing parachutes. :)Check six

replying to :
Oh, you are right. What was I thinking.
I guess I'm having a hard time because my penis is so small, and I'm gay.
Sorry, everyone.
-- The small-penis gay pilot who will get a zillion hours of twin... oh, fuck it.
Were you dropped on your head as a baby???
Freemind, freesky, freebeer, freefly
Edited by harro on 6/4/01 07:38 PM.

Isn't Mark the pilot that landed the King Air wheels up at ASC? I have a pic of him doing a Fly-By over the DZ at less than 20 feet with a jumper standing on the ground almost directly under him.

Thanks to guys like this you have to get 10-20 hours of dual instruction to even rent a retractable! That's why my prelanding check has the gear down in it 4 times.
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

My home DZ is only a little Cessna DZ but we have this pilot named Kevin who started flying for us last summer. With all of our other pilots it was always, "Left 20, Right 10, damnit! Another go-around!" But with Kevin it's just a look out the door to see where we're at then the cut.
He truly understands what a jump-run is.
Kris