Pammi

Another Question: Premature Reserve Deployment...

These thought provoking threads that are coming up have really been enjoyable. Not to say our normal discussions about sex, beer, and so on are not, in their own way, also pleasant of course!
However, along those lines, a pop quiz. You're in the plane, all is well and you're fixing to jump. DOOR! Then oh shit...someone accidentally pulls the reserve handle of the person in front of you!! What do you do??
(P.S. This is kind of a trick question...there are two possibilities. It pops out IN the plane with you, or it flies out the door...)
Pammi
Our webpage

This seems pretty easy to me. Try and smother it, and if successful close the door and everybody rides the plane down. If the reserve goes out the door, the guys going out the door. Period. He might as well try and follow it before it inflates and rips him through the wall of the aircraft. If you're between that person and the door of the aircraft, you need to get the hell out of the way unless you want to go with him.
Along those lines, this brings up something a jumpmaster pointed out to me not too long ago. In most planes I've been in, we close the door for take-off, then reopen it at 1,000 feet or so. It's in your best interest to make sure that your seat belt is off before you open the door just in case someone has a chute open and you need to either get out of the way or get out the door (if it's your chute).

depends on a few things. type of plane, where they're at, if the door's open. Obviously if this happens in the back (front?) of a Casa, you're not going to shove them all the way down the plane and out the door.
First thing is yell "RESERVE OUT!" (even if it's a main, just yell "reserve out") If you can flop yourself on top of anything that's deploying, get the door shut (if it's open) ... if something starts getting out the door, help them on out! Then say a little prayer that either the reserve deploys clean or they have a hook knife; and the reserve clears the tail of the plane.

This seems pretty easy to me. Try and smother it, and if successful close the door and everybody rides the plane down. If the reserve goes out the door, the guys going out the door. Period. He might as well try and follow it before it inflates and rips him through the wall of the aircraft. If you're between that person and the door of the aircraft, you need to get the hell out of the way unless you want to go with him.

This is how I was taught also. BTW, I just wanted to hear opinions/answers on this...I don't presume to be experienced enough to know the 'right' answer yet, if there is one! :)
Pammi
Our webpage

Stop the canopy if you can.
If it goes out the door the jumper should follow it ASAP.
I would not push them out.

Why not? I sure would.. If you do push that person out, you could be saving your life and the lives of everybody else on the airplane.. If you have the chance, and you don't, it's partially your fault if something goes wrong.. If I have a canopy loose, and it's going out the door, I sure as hell want somebody to push me out if I'm not going out on my own..
Mike

Why not? I sure would.. If you do push that person out, you could be saving your life and the lives of everybody else on the airplane.. If you have the chance, and you don't, it's partially your fault if something goes wrong.. If I have a canopy loose, and it's going out the door, I sure as hell want somebody to push me out if I'm not going out on my own..

Hmmmm ... Interesting point. So, getting pulled out damages the plane? If so, I think I'd like to change my answer :)1111,
GeekStreak

Isn't this basically what happened to the guy who had the premature deploment in Australia recently and it tore the tail of the plane off? The pilot managed to hold it together for everyone to get out, but the first guy was killed. Anybody know the rest of the story??

Anybody know the rest of the story??

yeah, he died. The pilot took the plane down to like 1800' before getting out himself. Everyone else lived. I think the pilot had some bruises from his opening and landing, but otherwise, an uneventful skydive for the rest...except if you count witnessing one of their buddies cark it.:(
Pilot is considered to be somewhat of a hero for doing all that he could to get the others out of the plane.
That is basically the gist of it all.
Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Pyke:P
NZPF A - 2584

Every report I read said the pilot bailed at 5-800 feet. and landed just feet away from the burning plane...
as for if someones reserves opens in my fave, if it stays in I would go for the door(close it) or if it is going out I am kicking him in the ass!!!!
marc

Hmmmm ... Interesting point. So, getting pulled out damages the plane? If so, I think I'd like to change my answer.

Good probibility. I have seen a photo where 3 square foot section was ripped out of the plane right behind the door. They were pulled right towards the aft edge of the side door...then through it. The others here have noted the canopy and tail scenario as well. If any of my gear is going out the door and I am not PUSH ME OUT!
Craig

Sorry Geek...not trying to be nasty. Yes, I would gladly help you out if yoiur chute was open in the plane but I would also love to push you out in a jump as I love to do diving exits so ....MAYBE it was sarcastic but also serious.
BETTER????

I'm in Maryland. I jump at Skydive Orange in Virginia. I have to warn you though, I'm still a student. SL student at that. I'll be at the DZ the weekend of the freefly boogie July 13-15. That weekend I'll be making my third jump... first, um, I mean not-second practice throw. Woohoo!! :)That's a sorta long trip, but I'd love to meet ya! My honey (a.k.a. Danger Girl) will be coming with me that weekend.
GeekStreak

For anyone visiting this particular post, consult with your S&TA/JM for rules/procedures regarding premature deployment in the A/C. There are variables as to how you react to this extremely dangerous situation. And yes, if the damn thing opens in the plane, leaves the plane, with you still in the plane, it'll rip your ass thru the fuselage like a knife thru butta.... And I'm sure your pilot would love to be in on this discussion...!
B