PhillyKev

Bleeding in free fall....

...Did my first non-instructor RW this past weekend with another relative newbie at XKeys. It was a blast. We did 2 jumps together. I don't know how relative it was, but it was work :-) For both jumps I climbed out, he crouched inside the door and grabbed my chest strap and then we exited. We came out so that I'm vertical facing into the relative wind feet down and he's head to head with me (head down) and then we would clasp arms and ride the hill down. Our plan was to separate, back away from each other, come back together, then do an open accordian one way, then back to center, then accordian the other way. In reality we just ended up trying to fall at the same rate, but it was fun.
The blood came on the second jump. We exited the same way and as we were coming down the hill, his helmet bumped me in the nose. Didn't hurt and I didn't think anything of it. We got off the hill, broke grips and started backing up. Then we started coming back together, was about to take grips again and he started backing away. I was wondering what the hell he was doing. Next thing I know, my vision starts to get blurry and I realize blood is covering my goggles. I could still see ok, so we just stayed a couple feet apart and kept a constant fall rate. Broke off early at about 6500 and then continued a stable fall down to 4k and pulled. My first thought was, "Oh shit, I don't want to get blood on my jumpsuit!!!" By the time I opened though, the bleeding had stopped. It really wasn't that much, but freefall splattered it all over my face and it looked much worse then it was. That was my last jump for the day and I was taking my gear back to Square3, walking past the tandem students headed toward the loading area. I still hadn't seen my face but realized it must be pretty scary looking based on the open mouthed, wide eyed stares from the first times as I walked past them.
Pretty amusing experience, not that I'd want to repeat it. But, like I said, it didn't hurt at all. Must give props to Charles, the guy I jumped with. After we got down he said he wasn't sure if I had a broken nose or what, so he stayed with me until pull time in case he had to pull for me. Think I'll go do some more jumps with Skydive U this weekend :-)
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

my first year in the sport, I rode the plane down 4 or 5 times because my nose would start bleeding on the ride up.
Finally I found out I had a weak vessel in my nose. Got it fixed, no bleeding since.
Interesting, the Doc said if Im stuffy, and I take something to dry it up, it actually makes it worse (twice as dry) at higher altitudes.
Doesn't sound like a problem, please have it checked out if it keeps happening. It's probably no big deal (like mine).
No one likes to see blood on anyone after a jump though....
Fly Your Slot !

I hope you didn't go wash the blood off right away.. Ya know, you can get lots of sympathy - and hopefully at least a couple phone numbers - from skydive chicks and whuffo chicks out there alike.. Hey - worked for me when I got my hand sliced up on the rope during a raft dive.. :)Mike

The blood came on the second jump. We exited the same way and as we were coming down the hill, his helmet bumped me in the nose.

I have 3 words for ya-
full face helmet!
Andrea
"Up high, I feel like I'm alive for the very first time"

Finally I found out I had a weak vessel in my nose. Got it fixed, no bleeding since.

Hey Paula.....I've never had that problem on the way to altitude but I get nose bleeds all the time, sometimes once a day but usually at least once a week. Could it be the same thing? Was it trouble to get it fixed?
I've heard, too, though that nose bleeds can be caused by anemia which I almost always have when I donate blood so maybe that's why. Anyways....I've never heard of having a weak vessel so I was wondering what that was about.
As for me, no blood in freefall but like someone else mentioned, I jumped w/ a cold one weekend. I pulled my goggles out the next weekend and there was dried up snot all over them.....HA HA HA!:D
Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

Well, I was just suggesting a full face helmet because he got hit on the nose, not because he spontaneously got a bloody nose. That is what I thought happened, unless I read it wrong.
Andrea
"Up high, I feel like I'm alive for the very first time"

In reply to:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Blow me where the Pampers is" -Name that movie
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
First Wives Club? Sorry. Personal problem.
"Listen. Do you smell something?" NTM

nope, you read it right, but in full combat RW (read: aggressive 4way or working in the tunnel), it's not uncommon to get a black eye, bloody nose or (in my case) a broken tooth. Yes, I've seen all the aforementioned maladies. They (helmets) are not fool-proof, but have worked for me a couple of times (last year we were learing a new exit and I hit the bar so hard the pilot heard it - if not for the helmet, I'm sure I would have been a rag doll in free fall).

eeek! if i had met someone with blood over all of his face in my early days, I just might have quit.... then again, maybe not. A friend from FJC broke both arms on her first jump. Nobody even thought of quitting.
On my 18th jump I made the dumb mistake to reach up into the lines during opening. Both of my hands were bloody, some spots down to the bone. I decided quickly not to look at my hands until landing, fearing I might become dizzy... That was my first standup-landing, I was so afraid to reach into the dirt with those hands.
Afterwards everybody was so nice, they made me feel like a hero. Which I wasn't. Still a nice feeling....
Greetings from Vienna
Chronistin
http://www.wortwerkstatt.at/skydiving

damn.... both arms? I gotta ask how that happened

Well, we were taking a combined S/L - AFF Course, and on her first S/L, she just jumped out of the plane, the chute opened, and she didn't move until she hit the ground.
I was standing down there with our favorite instructor, who tried to stay calm and talk to her on the radio, and when she just did nothing and just went straight out of sight, we knew there was something wrong. The car went out to get her and found her with two broken arms/hands (well actually the moving thing between the hands and the arms, however this is called in english).
We asked her what had happened, she just said she couldn't hear the radio.We tested the radio, it worked just fine. Anyway, we had two days of instruction before, we were told what to do and what not and that the radio is just a backup... everything. So, most probably, she just had some kind of blackout. Sensory Overload. Whatever.
Greetings from Vienna
Andrea
http://www.wortwerkstatt.at/skydiving

flyhi-

"Listen. Do you smell something?" NTM

Easy for any true Ghostbusters fan! Who you gonna call...
That's two... I could ask one now and it'd just continue a trend that would go on way too long.
If all goes well.
"Good? Bad? I'm the one with a gun."
Now we see who the true cult film geeks are...
Marc