cyric77

Had my first cutaway and actually feel relieved?

I had my first cutaway a couple of weeks ago, and the first thing that I felt was relief. I was doing a 3-way turned and tracked, pulled in a stable body position, and I knew almost instantly that something was wrong. I had severe line twists, which pinned my chin to my chest, and also a line-over(told to me by another jumper, because I couldn't lift my head to look up). It amazed me how fast my mind reacted to the problem, and how crystal clear everything became when I made the decision to pull those handles. Within seconds I was under a large white reserve. What shocked me the most was my first thought while under that canopy, and that was that I had finally gotten that out of the way. I just thought it kind of odd that I would think something like that, instead of thanking god that I wasn't just a big spot on the ground. Having to pull those handles has given me an even greater respect for this sport, and I believe, given me more confidence as a skydiver.
-Blue Skies-

Isn't it nice when that lion jumps out at you and you beat it down, hard and savage! I felt the same way on my 36th jump. now 1500 later I know that there's always a chance for it to happen again, but I can do what is needed and not freak out.
Congrats and buy your rigger beer,beer,beer
jumpervali

I remember being surprised at the color of my reserve. I thought they were all yelow or red....and then being so thankful that it didn't matter what color it was...and then screaming for like 2000 feet.....But yeah, I was also relieved. Of course, it was only my 3rd jump. I am constantly relieved every time my main opens.....and always expecting to pull the handles......
good for you, Cyric! It's a good feeling to know you know what you'll do.
Ciel bleus-
Michele
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~

Congrats !
I remember my first (and only) one. Couldn't get the handle !! what we call a pussy mal :)Back on the ground I got given out because I cut away in a situation where I shouldn't have. :(
Well, sorry lads I was too busy saving my life ;).
Anyway, It is a great feeling and a great relief.
It calls for beer....

Congrats, Cyric77!
I had the exact same thoughts when I had my cutaway around jump #76. I used to be REALLY, REALLY nervous and after my cutaway, I am a bit more clear-headed and I know that I can perform my emergency procedures now.
It was nice to "finally get it out of the way" and it takes a lot of stress off of my skydives now.
Kris

Isn't it amazing how simple it all seems after you've done it? I've had 2 cutaways so far, and cutaways don't bother me a bit.. There are 2 things that really scare me - 2 out(especially with my main/reserve combo - they won't fly well together) and PC in tow.. I've had PC in tow, but hopefully I never experience the 2 out.. My next rig will have a pull-out deployment system..
Mike

Is that what you jump, Carl? I've put a few jumps on a friends rig that is a pull out, and in my opinion, it's the way to go.. No worries about PC in tow.. Many people seem to be afraid of it, though.. I guess people fear what they don't know..
Mike

Is that what you jump, Carl?

Yup, always have, always will. I love it.
I think that like everything, there are fashions and fads. All systems work well, just right now BOC throw-outs are what people know, what their JMs jump, etc.
Dare to be different! ;)

What do you have now??

BOC throw out.. It works well, but I feel that pull out is the safest.. It's the same basic movement - grab handle, pull to full arms exension, and throw.. The only difference with pull out is that you are physically pulling the pin, THEN releasing the PC - rather than releasing the PC to pull the pin for you..
Mike

Dont fear the two out scenario. I've done it. I lived. I was pissed cause some asshole kid ran off with my free bag and PC. Just dont do anything and they should be OK. You are just along for the ride.

Actually, with my canopies, I think not doing anything would evolve into a downplane - or at least something wickedly spinning.. My main is over 70sqft smaller than my reserve, flies over twice the speed of my reserve, is a 9 cell, ZP, elliptical.. My main is around a 1.5 loading, reserve about 1.0.. When you get two very dissimilar canopies together, bad shit happens.. From what I understand, that's one of the reasons many container manufacturers don't make rigs to hold very small mains and decent size reserve combinations..
Mike

I think that like everything, there are fashions and fads. All systems work well, just right now BOC throw-outs are what people know, what their JMs jump, etc.

I think BOC throw out will continue to be the market leader.. There are just so many of 'em out there, and that's what most people use - so that's probably what they will continue to use when they buy a new rig.. Hell, some container manufacturers won't even make their rigs in pull out..
I will keep a rig with BOC throw out for certain things - such as BirdMan flying...but, I think for most cases, pull out is the way to go..
Mike

Thanks for all of your thoughts, and if any of you guys ever plan taking a trip, and making a jump at Aerohio let me know. We have a new super otter that that is just awesome to jump from! Blue Skies-Matt.

Hey, Matt - how long have you jumped at Aerohio? That was my home DZ up until around late October of last year.. Actually, the Halloween boogie was the last time I jumped there.. Definitely go to the Halloween thing this year - and do the pumkin drop.. It's pretty fun..
Mike

This is my 2nd season jumping there, and I will definitely be at the halloween boogie this year. I wasn't able to make it last year.

I just looked at your profile here, and the name doesn't ring a bell.. I may try to make it up there for the Halloween boogie.. I haven't seen most of those people for almost a year.. You know Seth - one of the TM's that's also a pilot for Continental Express? If so, you know what he's flying for CoEx now? If you remember next time you're out there, tell Seth and Mark(the regular pilot there) to drop me a line at [email protected].. Just tell 'em Mike that flies for Flight Options - they'll both know exactly who you're talking about..
Mike