rendezvous

Jumping in the winter

Hey there Mike....maybe I'll just have to come down there in Feb and check it all out for myself. However, by then, it'll probably be about in the 100's by then, eh? *sigh*

Hell, it's damn rare to EVER see 100's here in Central Florida.. Actually, in Feb, we've got pretty much perfect jumping weather.. 70-75 degrees on the ground, clear, blue skies all day every day, and at least 2-3 turbine aircraft at each major DZ..
Florida isn't always perfect, in the winter, though.. Sometimes we get those low cloud layers that don't burn off until 9 or 10am.. DAMMIT! That kills up to 2 hours of jumping time for us! ;)
Mike

Mountainman, what DZ in FL were you planning on going to? Many of the DZs around here have bunkhouses but in addition anywhere you go there is a hotel nearby that gives skydiver discounts. That's usually what BZ and I do when we're jumping the whole weekend instead of just on Saturdays. We usually get a nice room for about $25.
Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

We are going to go to Elberta, AL to do some jumps and then we'll head over to Deland for a couple days. After that, we want to go to Sebastian and/or Spaceland.

I assume you mean Space Center - not Spaceland.. Spaceland is in Houston area.. Both are cool DZ's.. Sebastian has a bigger group of regulars, and a mix of types of flying(RW, freeflying, etc).. Space Center - my home DZ, by the way - has a decent size group of regulars, but is 90%+ freeflyers.. Hey - on the bright side....if ya jump at Space Center, it's almost guaranteed you'll be in at least 3 or 4 videos.. :)Mike

Mike, I'd love to make it over to Space Center sometime. It's a wonder why I ever didn't when I lived in Orlando since it is not far from there but it sounds like a cool place.

Space Center is a cool place.. We have a great group of regular jumpers and great staff.. It's a much more laid back atmosphere than Deland.. It's kinda like a small town as opposed to a big city - people just aren't in too much of a hurry, and everybody knows everybody.. The only problem with Space Center is that landing outs are somewhat limited.. Your decision altitude needs to be higher than most places because of the limited outs.. The main landing areas are huge, though.. Let me know if you're gonna come visit - I'll watch for ya if I'm there that weekend..
Mike

i jumped once through a cloud in the winter. at jump altitude it was 0 F. the ice cristals in the cloud were worse than rain by 10 times!!!!!! it freaking hurt!!!!!, snow would be cool though.

"if dreams are like movies, then memories are like films about ghosts"-counting crows

Zennie: Last winter when I was really jumping a ton, out at Spaceland, frozen ice crystals were damn painful. Gloves are a must. And SILK thermal long underwear. I wore them under my fast suit all the time last winter under tights and its not thick at all but then I put my fast suit over it and I have got 3 thin layers. Perfect for Houston.
However, two months ago or so there was a big stormy rain cloud that came by we waited it out, jumped a little. Then there came another one. To go or Not to go???? We went pilot made the call. Well, it did not work out so good.
We were headed straight for it, pilot says nope. 14k we cant make it, we are closed out, might get a hop and pop.
Look,the door was open, I heard hop and pop. I left.
I was going to the door big time passing everyone up, Levin and Chris yelling Ann, Ann, Ann, something Ann, something, blah blah, RAINing, blah, blah, HARD, about that time I was past the point of no return. As I looked back one more time at Levin, I jumped and I waited 4 seconds too long.
Only two people got out, the first guy went a good amount of time before I jumped, people were yelling at me. Anyway I jumped and just off the hill + about 10 seconds and I was in the middle of the cloud trying to go head down. BUT, I was getting hit by sharp rocks. Dude in front of me had gotten past the cloud, I didnt. I think it was baby hail. I covered my face with my hands in a sit and let my ass catch most of it. Then when I flipped to pull I covered my face again with my hands and pulled. THAT was the most Painful Skydive ever. freaking small hail. Then it was falling on my canopy but by the time it got there it turned into pounding rain biggest drops I have ever seen. sounds like rain on a tent.
Anyway, I do stuff like that. Yeah Zennie,......broke a piece of my tibia off -leg bone, MCL is history- and 4 green stick fractures of the long bones of the foot. Far Out.. huh? If I cant say I walked off the field, at least I drove my own self to the hospital.
I am back in the air next weekend. (Levin wont be here, I will sneak down to the DZ and pop a few more ligaments. Whats a landing anyway- I like the part in the middle, when its just you and whomever.
Skydive~Friends~Happiness
AirAnn
www.AirAnn.com