dove

Sad story, happy ending

Hi all. Never thought it would happen to me (who does?!?!) but I had a pretty severe skydiving accident yesterday.
Freeflier A, Freeflier B and I were doing a 3-way freefly jump. Freeflier B was video and hadn't jumped in about 3 weeks and hadn't done video in a while. At about 9,000 feet I was knocked out by "B". I never even saw him coming. I was facing "A" and we were playing across from each other while "B" shot us. I tumbled for 4,000 feet. I don't remember anything but blackness and stars and thinking I hurt more than I have ever hurt in my life. Somehow it occurred to me that I needed to pull. They say (and saw on video) that I got stable and pulled my main at 5,000. I remember having to pull was so painful cause I was hit on the right side of my chest and reaching back was excruciating. Under canopy I apparently even stowed my slider (no recollection of that but it was stowed and I know I unstowed and quartered it last pack). I did a left hand pattern without being able to breathe. Everything was blurry. And my mouth hurt!! I reached up and there was blood all over my face. And that's when I found out I had no helmet anymore and no Pro-Track either :(. So the blurriness was from my contacts blowing out of my eyes while I tumbled without a helmet. I was able to land on my feet, but skidded in and collapsed immediately. In the end, I have 2 fractured ribs, I almost bit my tongue in half and have 9 stiches in it. And all of the organs in my abdomen are very tender and sore. I can honestly say I have never been in so much pain in my entire life. But even through all of this, my mind kept going back to my sweet Pro-Track! I am so sad I lost it (and Z1 helmet too!) They couldn't find it anywhere. It is probably in some corn field on the Eastern Shore of Maryland!
Here's the amazing part. Larsen & Brusgaard (makers of the Pro-Dytter and Pro-Track) expressed concern and said they'd ship a new Pro-Track off to me FREE OF CHARGE! Wow! What an awesome company. They really care about their customers! I encourage everyone thinking of getting an audible altimeter to buy from L & B. Support the company that supports us back! I am so touched by their kindness and generosity. It really goes a long way - especially at a time like this.
Hope everyone had a safer weekend than I did. My weekend was WONDERFUL up until the accident. I really had some of the most fantastic jumps ever! I can't wait to get back - but I will wait as long as it takes for a full recovery (4-6 weeks - boo-hoo!)
Be careful out there!
dove

Glad to hear your OK. Free Flying is certainly dangerous when people dont have control. Damn good thing you had that helmet on during the impact. Who knows what may have happened? That's awesome about the Pro Track!
"Don't give a F$#ck if I'm comin or leavin"-Pappa Roach
Clay

I'm so glad you walked away with just the injuries described. It could have been much worse as I am sure you realize. Take it easy and heal properly. I'm glad to hear about your Pro Track as I really love mine too. It is good they took care of you.
I'm curious if you have an AAD? Did anyone chase you?

I do have an AAD And if this had happened at a lower altitude - it would have saved my life. I tumbled for 4,000 feet before realizing I had to pull. Fortunately it happened at 9,000 feet. As wonderful as those things are - they can misfire - ro not fire at all.
Thank you all for your concern. It sucks being hurt, but it is nice to have all your support. So thanks.

Dove, glad you are alive and will recover. A good friend of mine had a similar accident last December at Eloy. A guy corked into him and separated his shoulder. He couldn't jump for about five months. These are dangerous times...we must always be aware!!
Blue skies and hugs to you,
Sis
I lust for the ultimate rush...

I think the video guy was just so into his video and getting back into the swing of things he wasn't totally aware of his surroundings. From what I heard - I was headdown and he was too but flipped to a sit and sort of slid/corked into me. I think he was rusty from being away from the sport in general and especially from having a camera on his head. I can't describe how awful the pain is, but I can tell you I am very lucky to be alive and writing this. Just remember me when your next 2-way turns into a 3-way with someone you've never jumped with before. Please don't let this happen to you! Be safe!!! And thanks everyone for caring so much for me.
dove

What a story! Is it going to end up on one of those Real TV things? You could make some cash. Just kidding! Glad to hear that you are OK. Sorry about the pain but it will go away. I hoep that the video is at least good so you can enjoy the memory of what did go right.
GREAT SAVE
Chris
Flare Damn it!!!!!
Albatross

Dove,
First, thank god you're o.k.
Second, thank God you are o.k.
Third and last, THANK GOD you are o.k.
Take your time healing. The sky will wait for you. And so will the rest of us.
Ciels,
Michele
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~

Glad you're here to talk about it. The ending could have very easily been not so happy. Hope you get better soon. Repeat after me "Darvocet is my friend. Darvocet is my friend..." :D

Here's the amazing part. Larsen & Brusgaard (makers of the Pro-Dytter and Pro-Track) expressed concern and said they'd ship a new Pro-Track off to me FREE OF CHARGE!

You're at least the 3rd person I've heard of (skreamer's another) that lost a ProTrack and had it replaced free of charge by L&B. Their quality & customer service is absolutely unparalleled. I'd never buy an audible from anybody else. It's all about Karma. ;)
--------
Zennie
"I know the pieces fit. 'Cause I watched them fall away..."
--Tool

I do have an AAD And if this had happened at a lower altitude - it would have saved my life.

I'm glad you posted that. Thankyou. I only have 35 jumps right now and no freefly jumps with anyone but myself (if you could call them freefly :)I know about freefly-friendly rigs, and I thought the major concern in freefly collisions were unintentional deployments and such. I guess I knew, but I didn't really understand how hard you could hit in freefly. Stories like that make us think and keep us safer.
Plus, I've been waiting for a story that would convince me to use a cypres. I knew I should, but this is the pre-second story I've heard first hand that really illustrated when it could come in handy! I just couldn't picture myself "passing out" in freefall.
You didn't need yours THIS time, but now I can picture a low alt high speed collision and what could happen afterward.
Thanks again.
P.S. Does it still blow everyone away how many ways this site rocks!! All this and nekkidness too!
-can't you trip like I do-
Clubber

Dove-
It made my stomach go in knots to read your story, but thank you so much for posting it. Reading things like this reminds me to not get to complacent, and it teaches me about things that could happen that I might not even consider.
I've heard fractured ribs hurt like hell, so I hope you have as painless of a recovery as possible. I'm so glad that you are going to be fine and back in the skies soon.
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.

Dove,
I am sorry this happened to you...I am glad that you are going to be OK!!! The fact that you posting this story has made one person (Zclubber) consider jumping with an AAD makes it worth it. I feel so blessed to be a part of this community where we share our experiences so that others may avoid them or learn something from them. Thank you!!!
Blue skies and a speedy recovery,
Anne

FallinWoman,
I had planned on jumping with an AAD (when I bought my own rig), just didn't know why. I was just gonna do it because everyone else (obviously more experienced than me) said to. But eventually there was gonna be someone that came around and told me why I shouldn't. I've already been there (on the ground) when an cypres fired accidentally in freefall. I'm glad I have a positive story to counteract it!
-can't you trip like I do-
Clubber

I have been pondering if I should be jumping with a cypress or not. I just ordered my rig and I cant really afford it. but storys like this are what is going to make me get one anyway.
thanks for sharing and hope you heal soon
Marc
Because I fly, I envy no man on earth

Wow. You guys actually gave me a reason to feel grateful this happened to me. If Marc and Clubber end up getting AADs after reading this story - it will all be worth it! My AAD never makes me complacent. The only time I even think about mine is when I turn it on at the beginning of each and every day I jump. But had I not come back to awareness in time, I would have been VERY aware and grateful that I spent the extra cash to get an AAD.
Just an update - I feel a little better, but my right arm is starting to feel very tingly. That is scary. VERY scary. My doctor wants to see me first thing in the morning. It also worries me that all of my internals hurt so much from getting jostled that my abdomen is still sort of swollen. I'll let you know how it all goes. In the meantime, I can't sleep so I'll pray!
Thanks again, everyone. Rest assured the dove will fly again!
dove

Dove,
Thank God you're all right. Sorry to hear about all your pain, I hope you heal up real fast.
You've just inspired me to get an AAD. I'm busy negotiating a sponsorship for a rig, but I didn't add the AAD. Too expensive... Now I know that my life is worth more than U$1200-00. Thanks.

Glad to hear you are going to be OK, dove. Its a good thing you were wearing a full-face as well - the impact to rip it off must have been pretty big. I can empathize about losing your Pro Track, but am glad to see that you got the same awesome customer service from L&B that I did. Why don't you post to the Gear review section of Dropzone.com so that others can also know what good service you received from L&B? You can also sign their guest-book on their site www.l-and-b.dk
That recent incident at Empuria Brava where a freeflyer's neck got broken by another freeflyer's leg has really made me careful about who I jump with (especially since I am still learning freeflying).
I hope you get better soon.
/s

Hi Dove,
get better soon!
Good lesson for any skydiver... even us flat flyers! quite a few people have been hit by divers on RW loads and either managed to land by their own means, or had their Cypres save their lives, or sadly killed. Some divers can hit 300 MPH....
PS: Karen and I had a great expereince with L&B too....
Remi
Muff 914

If Marc and Clubber end up getting AADs after reading this story - it will all be worth it! My AAD never makes me complacent.

I'm probably going to drag us all down the AAD/no AAD road again, but I have to share this. My first hop and pop (one week ago) was a poised exit off the Cessna, which I have yet to master. It took me four seconds to get stable, and even though that's not even close to a dangerous delay from 4k, my mind started screaming "GET IT OUT GET IT OUT GET IT OUT PULL PULL PULL!!!" There was never even a hint of "Take it easy, take your time, you've got a backup."
Blues, squares,
PTiger