3fLiEr

Where is the Freedom?

Many spout skydiving in allowing them to have complete control over their lives and a feeling of freedom. Can I ask how many feel restricted in skydiving?
We are hand held from students to even the most experienced - we have rules which govern when we can jump, how we can jump, what we can jump.
I realise that these rules are there to protect the masses - some people are unable to make these choices for themselves
I know people who jump who dont know how kit works, what main they have let alone the reserve on their back - and these rules are there because these people do skydive.
I know the rules are a good thing and should never be taken away - I am just curious if some people feel restricted by them and thus loose that sense of complete control and freedom.......................
Just me being curious
BSBD
"Go hard, fast and low"

Seriously, what restrictions are you talking about?
I feel that the only "rules" that are in place do not interfere with anything I want to do and are there to keep me safe.
I am thinking supplemental Oxygen above 15 so I don't get disoriented, lighting on any jump after sunset so other people don't run into me and kill me, land in the same direction so you don't have a collision with another jumper and get hurt or die.....

For a few
1) Min opening height
2) Min exit height
3) restrictions on Birdman suits
4) Restrictions on canopy - I would not jump a 69 coz I know I cant fly one but I dont have the freedom to choose
5) Some DZ's making AAD's mandatory
6) Cloud cover jumping
7) Jumping with objects
8) Having to have a rig with a reserve
9) Close prox deployments
Through discussion I feel there are more - these are just off the top of my head.
Some will need more information to explain myself better - but basically - You should know your limitations and good judgement should be made - but we sometimes do not have that freedom of choice.... is this not a hold ya hand kinda restriction?
Dont get me wrong the rules should stay - I am just talking about complete freedom and choice.................. maybe I am just putting it in the wrong way..............
BSBD
"Play hard n fast"

I don't feel restricted at all...I think most of the "rules" are there to protect me from other people.
You DO have the right to choose to jump a 69 square foot canopy, I don't know where THAT came from. I jump a 170, getting ready to downsize to a 150, but if I wanted to, I could order a 107 or something, an Alpha 74, or a Crossfire something or other.
As far as min. exit altitude, I never heard of that either. At most dzs, you can get out wherever you want, except maybe 500 feet, because nobody would ever want to, except you maybe?
Min. opening altitudes are a GUIDELINE, as are most of the other "rules."
Having to wear a rig with a reserve??? Why does that bother you?
To the person who asked about tracking, that is just common sense...jesus h.!
Again, I don't feel restricted whatsoever.
The Freak Kitty
I lust for the ultimate rush...

Every rule/recommendation/regulation in skydiving is in place because people died doing or not doing whatever the rule covers. We put lots more rules on student jumpers, just like there's lots of rules on student drivers - not just to keep the student safer, but also to help keep those who share the air with students safer . Most of the rules experienced jumpers deal with were put in place by the FAA - they control the airspace, so we have to play by their rules. USPA's BSR's were developed to prove to the FAA and other government agencies that skydivers are capable of policing themselves. Without this self-policing the rules would be much more restrictive - think mandatory AAD's and helmets, TSO's for mains, etc.
I jump because it's fun and challenging, not because it makes me feel "free". I don't have a problem with any of the rules that "limit" my skydiving; imho they all make sense, and in a lot of ways allow me to enjoy jumping more with fewer concerns for my personal safety.
pull and flare!
"I feel so alive, for the very first time, and I think I can fly" - P.O.D.

All the items you pointed out have to do with safety. This is an extreme sport that attracts a certain kind of individual willing to take the risk to have that wonderful adrenaline rush.
But, some people will always push the envelope, and I think those safety limits are imposed for those type of skydivers. As you said, you wouldn't be foolish enough to jump a canopy that was way too small for you, and I wouldn't either, but some will. I think those restrictions are saving people from themselves, and I also think that it will help the reputation of the sport, since they surely must help reduce the number of fatalities.
Just my humble opinion.
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.

what the h*ll? Is paying $15-19 to jump out of an airplane safely not freedom? C'mon, the rules are there to keep us all safe doing a sport we all love. They are not in the least bit restricting. Anyone that wants to break any of the rules mentioned (that are real rules, not the small canopy one or the min. exit alt.) I don't want to jump with. I love the sport and value my life. I don't want someone around me in the air who is not safety-conscious.
PD makes canopies all day long, you only have one life, when in doubt, cut away...

We are pretty well self-governed, which is an amazing thing, when you think about it. The rules which would be in place if the FAA directly governed all skydiving operations would be a bit more restrictive, I'd think.
And by "freedom" in skydiving, I get that sense from the whole "flying" thing, you know, and we don't have wings, at least not until we have to... you know what I mean... :P
Marc

Don't know where you got this list, but:
>1) Min opening height
>2) Min exit height
Feel free to BASE jump. If you prefer not to, then don't - but that's your decision.
>3) restrictions on Birdman suits
Many DZ's have no such restrictions. Mine does not.
>4) Restrictions on canopy - I would not jump a 69 coz I know I cant fly one but I dont have the freedom to choose
Buy/borrow one from a friend, and go to a new DZ and jump it. If your friends choose to not sell you one, well, they're free to do that as well. (Surely you are not offended that a 69 is not being provided to you free of charge!)
>5) Some DZ's making AAD's mandatory
Some DZ's have made SOS's mandatory. Since it's their airplane, they can come up with whatever rules they want. Again, go elsewhere if you don't like it.
>6) Cloud cover jumping
Once you jump enough you will realize that this is not a hard and fast rule.
>7) Jumping with objects
I do that all the time. No problems.
>8) Having to have a rig with a reserve
So BASE jump.
>9) Close prox deployments
So do CRW.
You have a remarkable amount of freedom in skydiving. Most of the things you list above are restrictions you have created in your own mind. Free yourself from those restrictions first, and the rest is easy.
-bill von

BillVon,
This is exactly why I just LOVE you!! You are totally cool...I can't wait to jump with you next year at the WFFC...wherever it may be!! You better take your love/hate relationship with it wherever it may follow! If however, you don't go, we will work something else out!
You're the best!!
Sis
Music should trigger some kind of response... - The Chemical Brothers

But, some people will always push the envelope, and I think those safety limits are imposed for those type of skydivers.

ummmmmm........If no one pushed the limits, we wouldn't be jumping out of these planes anyway. or went up into space. or on and on and on.....
Marc
Because I fly, I envy no man on earth

>You are totally cool...
Wow, thanks . . .
>I can't wait to jump with you next year at the WFFC...wherever it may be!!
>You better take your love/hate relationship with it wherever it may follow!
> If however, you don't go, we will work something else out!
It would suck to have the WFFC and Bridge Day both cancelled in the same year. . . Where's your home DZ? I'm biking the US this spring, and I'm taking my rig, so I might just stop by (if you're between San Diego and Cape Cod, that is.)
-bill von

Shes all over the Texas area.... She went to Skydive Dallas this weekend. Shes been known to go to OK and hang with Pammi, Merrick, and Kris. She used to jump at Skydive Texas too. She told me somewhere else too near Tulsa I think too.
Be safe, be smooth, be fast..... and most importantly.... be phree :)

Rules are usually for your safety as well as someone else's. However, I don't recall their being some rule or law stating you have to open. The minimum recommended opening heights are minimum only. For safety reasons, one shouldn't open any lower.
If you want total freedom, why not just not open your parachute. It's your choice...no one else is going to pull it for you. If you have an AAD, turn it off. Does this sound crude? Yes, I admit. Do I really wish you to do this? No . I do think it is a little ridiculous to complain about rules/laws put in place for our own safety.
I, for one, don't see a problem with any of the rules and am glad to follow them.
As for cloud cover jumping -
Don't you know, it's not a cloud if you jump through it...it's industrial haze.
Now, the only rule that I have seen at some DZs is where they require you to be a member of USPA. When I was going through AFF, I was told I don't have to join, but I was encourage to. I joined, of my own free will. But, I have been surprised when I go to a DZ and I hear that they won't let you jump unless you are a member of USPA (and I thought being a member wasn't mandatory).

This entire thread kinda reminds me of a troll....
First there was the posting about trying to fight a grounding or a banning from a DZ, then there was the ground launching thread, and now complaints about opening heights and rules? Hmmmm... a little strange but probally just a freak occurence.
If you have complaints about why there are rules then write the people who make them. See what their justifacation for the rule was. Most times its a pure safety concern. It might not be just the people in the airs saftey too. Imagine droping a space ball over a house and loseing control of it..... Don't think it could happen? BZZZZ! Its happened before. In the "olden" days they found a pumpkin would fall pretty close to belly speeds. Up near chicago a DZ was jumping pumpkins and the spot someout managed to move over top of one of the near by houses. The people playing with the pumpkin were unbale to hold it during opening and it went right through thier roof and exploded in their living room.(I would to have loved to see the look on thier face when they got home.) No one was home put if someone was home...... fill in the blanks..... So its just not the jumpers saftey we need to think about....
Be safe, be smooth, be fast..... and most importantly.... be phree :)