landmissle

How to safetly sale gear

Hi folks,
Don't know if this is the proper forum for this but here goes. I've decided to sell my Safire 169 (you can see the classified ad here on Dropzone and at Enclave..plug plug..).
Well I expected this to be a drawn out endeaver. So much for expectations, because within three hours of posting my ad I recieved an offer already and this person is willing to pay my asking price. So now I'm in a delema, actually two, since I haven't ordered my replacement canopy, if this sale goes through briskly I'm in real danger of not having a canopy to jump for 6-8 weeks (!!!); and additionaly,more importantly too, I'm not sure of the best way to handle the transaction that is likely to involve two parties that are located a fair distance apart.
So to you folks that have sold gear over the internet or to others located a distance away, how did you handle the exchange? I would like some methodology that will protect the interest (my canopy, his/her money.) of both parties involved as much as reasonably possible.
I've signed up with PayPal. Would that be a good way to go? Any advice and ideas would be appreciated.
Cobalt Dan, if you're out there, you might be getting a sell sooner that I expected.
Feet up, heads down, blue skies
Landmissle

I cant tell you how to sell your stuff cause I never have but at my DZ if you have your own gear and your purchasing a new container , main etc what ever, our DZO doesnt charge you a rental fee. So try that , see if your DZ will wave the rental fee while you wait for your new canopy. He/ she might even let you swop over a canopy to your rig when you jump. thats what ours does anyways. IF that works sell the rig and get the $$$.
Either way good luck and hope everything goes smooooth for ya
jason

Your best bet is probally an escrow account with someone like www.escrow.com, your bank, or something similar. Basicly the buyer puts the money in an account that the escrow company sets up. You then ship the buyer the canopy. He/she now has X (You get to decide... usually 10) number of days to decide to buy it or return it. If they decide to buy it then the company releases the money to you minus their fee. If they decide to return it, then the money requires both people to release it back to the buyer. You can wait to recieve the canopy back then release the money - the fees to the buyer. If the canopy comes up missing inbetween the shiipping and recieving the money is frozen until it is worked out. This way the buyer is obligated to have the entire money on the line until they meet your requirements and you have to ship a quality product to the user then. The fees for this stuff is about 3-5% of the cost. The costs usually scale up for more expensive items.
It is well worth it since it gives the buyer a chance to back out but only after the money is confirmed. It also ensure the money is there for you if they want to keep the canopy.
Be safe, be smooth, be fast..... and most importantly.... be phree :)

So to you folks that have sold gear over the internet or to others located a distance away, how did you handle the exchange?

What I have done in the past, for a canopy sale, is this...find a large DZ in the buyers area - preferably their home DZ if it's a well known DZ or has a gear shop.. Talk to that gear shop, or a local rigger, and arrange to ship the canopy to them as a middle man.. Have them collect the payment for the canopy, then transfer the canopy to the new owner, and allow them to jump the canopy(I allowed for 3 days).. At that point - if they do not return the canopy to the middle man with a valid reason, that middle man sends you the payment, and you pay them a handling fee for dealing with all this.. You need to negotiate the fee with that person ahead of time.. Sometimes DZO's will also do this for their local jumpers, so don't limit yourself to a rigger for the transaction.. If you name the area, maybe some people can recommend a rigger or the DZO to handle the transaction.....or, who knows - maybe a fellow dz.commer that you know personally will volunteer to help out with the deal..
Mike

lets see what have i bough over the internet that is skydiving..... my two rigs...a main and a container and a pilot chute....i've always been a reall trust worthy guy....and (have knowlage onhow to hunt dishonest peole down) so i just send em my money and hope my gear shows up..... normally i talk on the phone for a while to em and get the feel for em.... i did buy my sabre wholely by e-mail and got a great canopy(and cheap!!)....ya take your chances and that's that.....i did get hosed once but it was $50 and if i ever meet the guy he'll regret it...........

"up my noooossseee"- wingnut, at first euro dz.com boogie

escrow.com is the way to go.....the other plus to it is, their money is already there...so after they have it for the 10 days (or whatever) if they don't do anything....you get the money...so you don't have to worry about them being lazy/irresponsible.
Personally, the way I would work it is, tell them you want the money up front and then you'll send the merchandise...that's your best bet...if they're not happy with that, and since you're not having trouble finding a buyer, tell them you're willing to use escrow.com if they want it for their peace of mind, but they have to pay the fee.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

I'm in the UK, and I sold my canopy to a woman in the US. We exchanged a few emails, had a brief chat on the phone, and decided to trust each other. I sent the canopy and she wired the money on the same day.
Both arrived as promised a few days later.
Foolish? Probably. Would I do it again? Probably not. But I'm glad I did it the once. It helped remind me that there are still some good people out there.
Geoff

Talk to that gear shop, or a local rigger, and arrange to ship the canopy to them as a middle man.

Agreed. I have posted an answer to this question on several occasions, but here's the deal I go with:
I list my gear, like you did, here on DZ.com or Enclave.com. Once I get a bite, I take the gear to SkyKat gear shop at Raeford. I box the gear up and prepare it for shipment. The buyer pays skykat with a credit card over the phone, then ships the package UPS next-day air. Once the person gets it, they have a total of five days to either accept it, or have it back to SkyKat in "same" condition. If they keep it, the transaction stands; it they didn't want it, they have those five days to get it back and their CC transaction will be refunded to the card; if they keep it, but don't want to pay, then too bad, the transaction was complete before the item was sent, so they (and I) get the money.
I have done this loads of times and it is the safest way to go about business. It affords the buyer the opportunity to inspect the gear and reply straight to a gear vendor if there is a discrepancy.
Chuck

Hi folks,
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I have sold my Safire to another Dropzoner. We went through www.tradenable.com which is an online escrow service. I was very comfortable with the exchange and was able to monitor events/processes as they occured on their web-page.
Highly reccomended. And yes, I've already ordered my Cobalt! Additionally, to hold me over during the dry period while I'm waiting for my canopy to arrive, I have three demos coming in to keep me airborne. Gotta' luv demos....
Again thanks folks!
Feet up, heads down, blue skies,
Landmissle