mountainman

Off DZ jumps...

I am wondering what the rules say about jumping somewhere that is not on a DZ. For instance, hypothetically speaking, one were to rent a C-182 from an airport for one hour and has a pilot fly the plane. This person would want to get out over their own private property of lots of acres and land there as well. It would not count as a demo and the pilot would not be being paid to do this.
So, the question is, would one be able to do this? And if so, what would they have to do to prepare? I have read the FAA rules and regs about it (Part 105), but didn't see anything that would outlaw this. The only thing I could see that would need done would be to notify ATC at least 1 hour before.
Anyone know for SURE?? I dont need anyone saying not to do it or whatever because I'm not. I am very curious for the future since my family lives in the country and has lots of land. Also, we have an airport like 5 miles away.
Thanks. ;)
--------------
JumpinDuo.com is here!!!

I've only heard of two rules for doing something like that. Notifying ATC is the primary rule - you do want controllers and other air traffic to know you'll be there; having the permission of the owner of the land you intend to land on is the other one.
Common sense says to check out your intended landing area for hazards from the ground prior to the jump - trees, buildings, power lines, rocks, fences, ponds, tall grass, anything that could even remotely affect a safe landing. With trees and buildings you want to be sure you won't hit them; you also want to be sure that your intended landing area is far enough downwind of them so you'll avoid any rotors. Also look around for outs; don't jump that location if there's only one safe landing area.
Hardest part will be finding a pilot who's willing to take you; most non-jump pilots just don't understand opening the door in flight... and most non-jump aircraft owners REALLY don't understand opening the door in flight. ;)
pull and flare,
lisa

Want to really have some fun? Get a jump plane and pilot, a bunch of friends, a few RV's and tents, and a lot of beer and have your very own boogie on the parent's property. There's a jumper in southern California, Steve Fielding, who used to organize a basically private boogie on a ranch up by Bakersfield at least once a year and from what I heard it was loads of fun.
Yeah, be sure to let us all know when your first boogie will be! ;)
pull and flare,
lisa

Yeah, I think Lisa pretty much has it nailed down to what's required, but another thing to consider is, getting out of a c-182 at the DZ is a hell of a lot different than getting out of one owned by a private pilot. First, I doubt you'll find a pilot that's willing to take it off on the ground & leave it off, so you're stuck with a door that doesn't swing up, it opens forward (like a normal door) toward the prop-blast.... as if that isn't enough, there also aren't many pilots that are comfortable with cutting back the speed to a near stall, in fact it scares the hell out of them. Pam & I unfortunately had an opportunity to jump with a new "jump pilot" once (the only other load he'd flown was the one right before ours). He didn't give a cut at all, and had it been a non-jum c-182, we'd have never gotten the door open & out of the way long enough to jump out. LOL - it was definitely an experience.
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

Hey thanks guys.....if the day comes where we feel up to trying this, we'll see what we can do. That guy at the ranch seems to know how to do it! Can't beat a private boogie!!
And you have a point Merrick, opening the door against the propblast will certainly be a lot harder and the same with holding it open. Hmm.....well, there IS a DZ about 45 min away with a 182. Do you think they would rent it for an hour and maybe the pilot would like to fly also? Hmm.....what do you think?
This is starting to sound like some fun!! :)--------------
JumpinDuo.com is here!!!

The pilot has to anounce 2 minutes from jump then one minute till jump then Jumpers away and last jumper on the ground to ATC so that ATC can reroute traffic at the right times or call the pilot off if VFR traffic with no radio is under the pilot.
I'm not sure what to put here right now.....