mountainman

Lawn Chair Man...

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ( wipes tear from eye )
that was some shit. I would love to have seen his face as he realized that he passed 30ft AGL and isn't stopping anytime soon. Thanks for the laugh MM.
" Everyone tells me I'm crazy, crazy ppl aren't so fu**ng boring. "- Jawbreaker

my fav is the urban legend about the guy driving the Chevy outfited with a few leftover JATO units into the Cliff wall

Is that a fake story? When I was in the AF we had safty gram come down that said somthing about a guy who strapped a JATO to the roof of his car and didnt think to add a fuel cutoff switch and he slammed into the hill side. It went on to say his break were melted and he was burned beyond recognition!
I believe some idiot would try this.
jason

This is a true story, not urban legend. Not quite as impressive but still...
How do you make your lovely rolls fly down a motor way? Well this one dude got a merlin engine (spitfire) extended the bonnet and hey presto a very fast car. The best part is that it was road legal but the guy had problems with braking and slowing down and couldn't get the thing to stay below the speed limit so it got chucked. Would love to find that car in an auction.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble the guy who ran himself into the side of a cliff with a self made "rocket car" is an urban legend. This is what started the "rocket car legend."
Incidentally, here is probably the most complete coverage of the "lawn chair pilot."
Scott
"Can't keep my mind from the circling sky. Tongue-tied & twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I.

I think that the balloon story is bullshit now. They have 2 different endings for it. The one that I posted said that he was rescued with a helicopter and a rope over the sea and this last one posted said that he was stuck in powerlines but uninjured. What a bunch of shit. I gotta quit posting stuff like this.
-------------
http://www.JumpinDuo.com
"oh no. Not another one"-Alienangel

I think that the balloon story is bullshit now.

Nope, it's true. Check out this link to Snopes: http://www.snopes2.com/spoons/noose/balloon.htm If Snopes says it's true, then you can safely assume that it is. They are known for thorough research, and they provide exact references (more than half a dozen, in this case).
The story is different from the one you posted, and has a sad ending: Larry ends up killing himself several years later. It does have another neat story though; a skydiver repeats the stunt, but with a slightly different setup, including a skydiving rig. Needless to say, he took the fun way down :)--
Brian

Its called Cluster Balloning... Makes Skydiving look cheap.....
Ballons are like $100-200 each and it takes 50-75 per launch. Helium tanks are'nt cheap either. I think I read some where that each launch costs like $2500-3750
Check out http://www.clusterballoon.org for details
I'm not sure what to put here right now.....

That is insane, I wouldn't want to land those. I'd rather mod a rig a few ways and chop at 30k :)
1. Get old Container
2. Replace main a 3 ring balloon rig.
3. Make sure you have a good reserve canopy
4. Where an extra chest mounted container (Gotta have an extra chute for intentional cutaways)
5. Ride those suckers straight up with some oxygen and cut away around 30k.
-Jason
Don't try this at home :)

The ballon story is real, the JATO assisted rocket car is fake.... sorta. There's actually a guy who wrote a pretty long detailed account of where he thinks the myth started from. It's based in truth, or so he claims.
I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad
I got sunshine, in a bag